Burnt by the Sun Reviews

• Apr 18, 2019

Burnt by the Sun has many tender sequences as it's truly an endearing film with a lot of heart. Nikita Mikhalkov is stupendous both as an actor and in the directorial chair. However, the plot is thin and the pacing issues abound here. It's a solid film which is never great and it should have never won an Oscar over terrific 'Strawberry and Chocolate'.

• Aug 30, 2018

This is one of my all time favorite films. So many layers, so many rich characters. The languid stroll to the denouement. It's just beautiful in every way. I bought the DVD ages ago, and share it with all my friends. Hard to say much here without spoiling it. I can't recommend it highly enough. Enjoy.

• Dec 11, 2017

Stirring portrayal of a true believer in the Revolution, caught in the disaster of the Stalinist Purge. One of the most Russian movies I've seen.

• Nov 09, 2017

The emotional strength of this 1995 Academy Award winner for Best Foreign Language Film is the ironic juxtaposition of the terror of Stalinism beneath the very lyrical lensing of an idyllic countryside.

• Apr 03, 2017

Strong Russian movie made after the collapse of the USSR and shot in a manner that captures the spirit of a Russian Empire family. The typical story of the Stalin's purge of the 30s. This time combined with a sub-plot dealing with lost love and revenge.

• Jul 09, 2016

The cinematography is sensational and the storytelling sublime in the finest Russian tradition. All the acting gets full marks from me too. A foreign language film to savour.

• Mar 22, 2015

Haunting, vivid -a cerebral Chekhovian masterpiece. Mikhalkov delivers without exploitation, a tale of universal compassion between a man, his wife, and their daughter -raveled between repression and victory. " ...the cruel truth without love, is a lie.. "

• Jan 06, 2015

Cutting out parts of the first half, as well as some of the secondary characters, would do wonders. But when it picks up in the second half - oh boy does it pick up.

• Feb 28, 2014

A decidedly safe approach to Stalinist Russia with this storyline. Swings the pendulum from light to heavy quite extremely. The ball of light that floats around isn't necessary. There are plenty of burnt by the sun references - So many in fact, that you'll never forget the name of the movie you're watching.

• Nov 28, 2013

An intriguing take on Stalinism.

An intriguing take on Stalinism.