Cabin in the Sky Reviews

• Apr 12, 2020

A waste of talent, very poorly acted, nothing genuinely spiritual about this, had the production values of a homemade movie, just absolute rubbish. What a waste of time watching this. I actually expected to either be entertained or moved by this film. What overrated, SERIOUSLY OVERRATED TRASH.

• Jan 27, 2019

The best, GREATEST musical romance movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Happiness Is Just a Thing Called Joe!

• Jun 29, 2018

Really cute. Lena Horne, Louis Armstrong, Duke Ellington and of course the main stars, Ethel Waters and Eddie "Rochester" Anderson with his wonderful scratchy voice. What a plethora of talent!

• Jan 17, 2017

Worth watching for many different reasons - just browse the credits. Though the plot this musical seems a bit contrived (& likely played better on the stage), it works OK as a movie. Just a shame that so many of these actors never became household names.

• Jan 18, 2016

Important all-African-American cast adaptation of the Broadway musical with a Faustian, gospelized and Wizard of Oz twist(er). Early Lena Horne The great cast includes Louie Armstrong and Duke Ellington as well. Ain't it the truth.

• Aug 11, 2015

Excellent classical musical with an all star cast

Excellent classical musical with an all star cast

• Jun 18, 2015

Almost every song is a showstopper in Vincente Minnelli's adaptation of the Broadway musical; Ethel Waters sings the title song, "Happiness Is a Thing Called Joe" and the Oscar-nominated "Takin' a Chance on Love," Lena Horne does "Honey in the Honeycomb" (reprised by Waters), and even Eddie "Rochester" Anderson gets to sing "Life's Full of Consequences" - a duet with Horne. Highly enjoyable.

• Jul 14, 2014

This movie was delightful. I enjoyed the spiritual content as well as the 'ole time tap dancing. I will watch it again.

• Oct 29, 2013

Good film, though it wears out it's welcome quite quickly with it's endless songs, religion-on-my-sleeve heavy handedness and Eddie Anderson gets on the nerves after a while. Still, Ethel Waters is great though. There's some bothersome stereotypical scenes. Especially involving when Duke Ellington is around, then the whole thing turns into a soundie.

• Jan 02, 2013

I watched this movie from a historical perspective. In that regard, it was interesting. But I really could have done without Rochester's singing. He was great on Jack Benny's show, but not as a singer. Made me want to learn more about Ethel Waters. Had the pleasure of seeing Lena Horne perform her one-woman show when I was a kid, so my next movie will be Stormy Weather.