Cannery Row Reviews

• Jul 23, 2020

Story/Screenplay: (3/5) The basis of this story was a good one. The execution fell a little flat, and I'm not sure why. There was no big story event that captivated me. It felt like I was on the outside looking in for 120 minutes. Duration/Tempo: (3/5) At 2 hours, it's a long movie that felt about the same. Considering the subject matter that was in large part comedy and romance, it would have been nice to see a snappier pace to the film. Cast & Crew: (3.5/5) Nick Nolte and Debra Winger were well cast. When the story cooperated, they had good chemistry on-screen. Summary: (3/5) The cast was very good, but the story was only fair and the film felt like it should have been snappier. A borderline thumbs down.

• Nov 26, 2019

If I hadn't read the book, I would have probably not finished watching this movie. But I was curious what was done in the movie based on having read the literary source of "Cannery Row," and persisted watching it. Since its intention appears to be entertainment, I was not moved by its characters or the romantic comedy that it turned out to be although Nick Nolte's acting was pretty good.

• Oct 08, 2019

I think it's a must see for movie fans. It's a slice of American movie making from the 70's to early 80's. Never read the book(s), but like someone said, books are books, movies are movies...critics and so called experts, a joke, and a shame on the whole world of art, will criticize...screw them...haters will hate, they get payed for it...if you love movies, this is a must see...

• Feb 23, 2018

Cannery Row is a fantastic film. It is about a self-employed marine biologist who lives by the ocean and interacts with the neighborhood denizens. Nick Nolte and Debra Winger give excellent performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. David S. Ward did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the humor and drama. Cannery Row is a must see.

• Feb 20, 2018

I fell in love with Debra Winger when I saw this movie. She was so lovely to me it almost hurt to watch her.

• May 05, 2016

Marine biologist falls in love with restaurant chick in this slightly entertaining romantic comedy.

• Jul 11, 2014

Pleasant enough, but doesn't quite have the dramatic power it needs. Watching a young Debra Winger, I was reminded of Jennifer Lawrence.

• Jun 04, 2014

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

• Apr 19, 2014

It's not the book, but it's a great story. Slow and entertaining.

It's not the book, but it's a great story. Slow and entertaining.

• Jan 07, 2014

Apres une demi-heure assez laborieuse, Cannery Row se met en route et se trouve etre une comedie bien sympathique, mais trop longue pour son propre bien. Nick Nolte et Debra Winger forment un duo plutot efficace, les seconds roles comme M. Emmet Walsh ou Frank McRae sont excellents et John Huston assure a la narration mais le film parait un peu vain, en fin de compte. Dommage.