Cannery Row Reviews

• Feb 23, 2018

Cannery Row is a fantastic film. It is about a self-employed marine biologist who lives by the ocean and interacts with the neighborhood denizens. Nick Nolte and Debra Winger give excellent performances. The screenplay is good but a little slow in places. David S. Ward did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this movie because of the humor and drama. Cannery Row is a must see.

• Feb 20, 2018

I fell in love with Debra Winger when I saw this movie. She was so lovely to me it almost hurt to watch her.

• May 05, 2016

Marine biologist falls in love with restaurant chick in this slightly entertaining romantic comedy.

• Jul 11, 2014

Pleasant enough, but doesn't quite have the dramatic power it needs. Watching a young Debra Winger, I was reminded of Jennifer Lawrence.

• Jun 04, 2014

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

My Favorite Film Is 1941's Citizen Kane.

• Apr 19, 2014

It's not the book, but it's a great story. Slow and entertaining.

It's not the book, but it's a great story. Slow and entertaining.

• Jan 07, 2014

Apres une demi-heure assez laborieuse, Cannery Row se met en route et se trouve etre une comedie bien sympathique, mais trop longue pour son propre bien. Nick Nolte et Debra Winger forment un duo plutot efficace, les seconds roles comme M. Emmet Walsh ou Frank McRae sont excellents et John Huston assure a la narration mais le film parait un peu vain, en fin de compte. Dommage.

• Jun 28, 2013

Cannery Row may be excessively sentimental, even a little corny, but it's all heart.

• Jun 20, 2013

Not how I remember the book.

Not how I remember the book.

• Apr 28, 2013

I adore this movie, from the first time I saw it back in the mid-80's to a recent viewing in 2012. It holds up fairly well after all these years. Great acting by both Debra Winger and Nick Nolte. They're both so young and gorgeous in this film. It's hard not to like every single character. They're so warm and poignant, you almost forget you're watching a story about homelessness people and prostitutes! This is classic John Steinbeck - lots of humor and empathy.