Casa de los Babys Reviews

• Sep 02, 2015

Much talk, but not a whole lot of action.

Much talk, but not a whole lot of action.

• May 17, 2015

good indie drama from the indy master, John Sayles (lone star)

good indie drama from the indy master, John Sayles (lone star)

• Aug 09, 2014

This is one of the most boring and pointless wastes of time I have ever endured. Watched it for a class on War, Terror, and Globalization. The movie made no sense, had no redeeming qualities, and the only thing good about it is that its over rather quickly.

• Dec 28, 2013

The acting is good but the action is slow and talky.

The acting is good but the action is slow and talky.

• Oct 21, 2013

Heartbreaking poverty is the first hurdle in this film. Music is a deeply haunting lament that will place pressure on the heartbreak. The naive stupidity of the American and Irish woman comes through brilliantly as the actor's progress through the thickly laden dialogue. If depressed this is not a movie for you to watch. Nibbles: Farleys Rusks.

• May 23, 2013

John Sayles is the master of multicultural social dramas featuring large casts. In his best work, the multiple story lines reinforce the points he wants to make without becoming too heavy handed (Lone Star may be my favorite of his films). Here, six women visit an unnamed South American country to adopt babies and we see the expected cultural differences. Marcia Gay Harden steals the show as an ugly American but her character sullies the scenes she is in. Plus small kids steal and huff spray paint, suggesting that being adopted is an escape from a worse fate? Perhaps there are too many political themes here that overwhelm some of the personal issues surrounding adoption. So, the result is a little half-baked (but undoubtedly well-intentioned).

• Dec 22, 2011

There are no simple answers here, very little resolution to questions raised about the issues of American adoption of Latin American children. That may explain why some people express frustration with the film. Personally I was riveted by Casa de los Babys. Touching and also contains many uncomfortable moments. Clearly, the film is politically astute but remains understated, choosing to focus on the personal stories of its characters.

• Jul 07, 2011

I would have like to have seen more... the cast is so talented, little bit disappointed...

• May 29, 2011

What... was with... the ending? Like seriously, worst ending I've ever seen for a movie. I thought the movie was rocking along and I was prepared to give it a higher rating. Eh. I really enjoyed all of the actresses in this and the story... it got a little slow at some points, but other than that, it was good. Then the ending ruined it for me.

• Jan 07, 2011

The House of the babies (Casa de los babys, US / Mexico, 2003), history of selling babies in Mexico, the movie that should work on a theatre, but not on screen, boring, and the great cast hasn't no effect to improve it