Cash McCall Reviews

• Jan 29, 2016

Surprisingly not as bad as expected. This movie is rare and difficult to find. Good luck in finding it. My former 60+ colleague is obsessed with this film, believing he is the present embodiment of the lead character. He tried to acquire the rights to this film with a view to producing a modern remake. Unfortunately, he did not score the deal...I guess he wasn't exactly a "Cash McCall"!!

• Sep 06, 2015

James Garner plays a high powered businessman who falls for Natalie Wood, who's the daughter of another businessman. Garner when starts up dealings with Wood's dad, played by Dean Jagger, to have an excuse to woo Wood. It's a lightweight films that tonally doesn't seem that far off from a Rock Hudson/Doris Day film, which can be a good or a bad thing depending upon your taste. Garner is one of my all-time favorite actors and is probably one of the most charming on-screen personalties of all time, this film being no different. Wood is alright, but I'm not sure I was ever convinced there was much chemistry between the two, which kind of weakened the film. Still, it's worth watching if you're in the mood for a light romantic comedy.

• Jul 21, 2015

Fun romantic comedy with a business twist.

Fun romantic comedy with a business twist.

• Jul 30, 2014

Cash McCall (1960) This is one of your typical James Garner romantic comedies of the 60's. I've never felt that Garner was a great actor as much as a very likable (and don't forget handsome) character that we just never get tired of seeing on TV and in movies. Here he's a Millionaire playboy and corporate raider, Cash McCall. Cash and the beautiful Lory Austen (Natalie Wood) had a Summer affair in Maine and now Cash is showing up at her daddy's, Grant Austen (Dean Jagger) business, Austen Plastics. We've seen this before, these guys come in, buy up a company, dismantle it, lay everyone off, and sell off what they can for a huge profit. This has worked really well for Cash in the past, but this time it's a little more personal. There's a huge cast of great TV actors, including E.G. Marshall, Henry Jones, Edward Platt, and Otto Kruger. Naturally, with all rom-coms, it has a very predicable plot. Will true love conquer all?

• Mar 08, 2010

A good movie with interesting dynamics of business and romance.

A good movie with interesting dynamics of business and romance.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Apr 11, 2009

The cast makes this worth seeing. Average script and indifferent direction aside James Garner is well cast in the lead the supporting cast is full of wonderful character actors the best being Henry Jones. Natalie Wood, who did this to get Splendor in the Grass, is charming and incredibly lovely with a great wardrobe in a thankless part.