Cellmates Reviews

• Apr 07, 2014

Monday, April 7, 2014 (2012) Cellmates COMEDY DRAMA I would've given this film a bomb, but because it has put me to sleep every time I put it on, I'm going to give it at least one star for doing just that. The set up is a silly one, and it consists users to alter their brains to this kind of level. Stars Tom Sizemore as KKK supporter, Leroy Lowe who's just been sentenced to 3 years in prison while his best friend, Bubba (Kevin P. Farley) and 'cellmate' only get a year, for a multiple of offenses nothing to do with race. Leory also happens to be the movie's narrator, as he rants about his time being locked up in a prison with a warden named Merville (Stacy Keach) who takes great pride into managing his potato field, since he's won awards. When Bubba becomes a vegetable as a result of choking on a potato, Leroy then have to share his cell with a another cellmate who happens to be a refugee from Mexico called Emileo (Héctor Jiménez) who's being locked up because of his right to have better pay working with short hours. And at the same time, Leroy ends up corresponding with a warden's maid, Madalena (Olga Segura) by way of letters behind the warden's back, and without him looking. The only problem is that, all the letters are written in Spanish whereas it's only language Madalena is capable to understand. And that Leory needs the assistance of Emileo to help him translate what the letters are saying, as well as writing letters back to her. One of the problems making a low budget movie is that that it eliminates specific questions that needed to be asked, while answering others, such as how did it come about that Madalena selected to correspond with the racist Leroy as opposed to the others, who also have to listen to the warden babble about potatoes? And since when did warden's respect letters from coming in and out, without trying to intercept any that may convict him? If Leroy assaulted Emileo, why wasn't it used against him? It is those questions and more which is why I can't recommend this movie, even though it has potential. 1 star out of 4

• Aug 19, 2013

Far better than expected. Satire comedy with a few unexpected twists. :-)

Far better than expected. Satire comedy with a few unexpected twists. :-)

• May 24, 2013

74% Sizemore back in the game.

74% Sizemore back in the game.

• Apr 07, 2013

Really boring with a few funny moments

Really boring with a few funny moments

• Jan 21, 2013

Whoever made this is asking to be lynched.

Whoever made this is asking to be lynched.

• Dec 30, 2012

Modest film with a great tolerance message

Modest film with a great tolerance message

• Nov 11, 2012

I really enjoyed this movie, very touchy subject material and I figure if you have a stick up your ass you might get a tad bent out of shape, but very funny flick. Take it as seriously as you did the Cohen's "Raising Arizona" and you will love it.

• Jesse O Super Reviewer
    Sep 18, 2012

I quite enjoyed this movie, even if it got a little schmaltzy by the end, its heart is most definitely in the right place, so I can't complain too much. You can definitely tell the movie had a non-existent budget, but they made the most of it. And, really, the cast definitely elevates the movie several notches. It's not like you're getting all time great comedy performances but they're solid and fun. The story itself is typical, you've seen it before and will see it again, but, again, the movie's heart was in the right place so and at least it was an effectively told story of this character learning the error of his ways. Not perfect but effective. So yea I enjoyed this movie a lot in spite of the rating. A good movie and I'd definitely watch again if the opportunity came up.

• Sep 08, 2012

Just saw it. With a rewrite, and a more believable leading man, it would have been better. We did laugh, my lovely north Texas Mexican / American wife and I (white, conservative not racist type :) But there ain't no mountains in "east Texas." Nor is it anywhere CLOSE to the Rio Grand. The writer should have researched this. I couldn't get it out of my mind. Still had it's funny, charming moments.

• Jun 08, 2012

"Cellmates" successfully captures the essence of an offbeat comedy with a message.