Chasing Mavericks - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Chasing Mavericks Reviews

November 28, 2016
My favorite movie of all time
August 13, 2016
Great story. I enjoyed it.
½ July 6, 2016
A storyline that takes you up and down, just like the epic waves so excellently captured.
May 3, 2016
86%
Watched this on 2/5/16
This is one of the most beautifully shot movies that I have ever seen and the film is not about some raw punk surfing, its a film about the sea just like how they tell you in the very beginning. So its fairly disappointing that the critics expected some slick surfing fest. The film is subtle and poignant at times, scary and breathtakingly beautiful at times as well. Its scripting is fine and the characters and the things that take outside the ocean doesn't take much of the film's time. The acting is also fantastic.
½ March 18, 2016
There never seems to be a real point to the film. It goes through the motions exactly how you would expect and that is not interesting.
February 26, 2016
Chasing mavericks is nicely shot with great surfing action and cinematography. The script is a bit bland though and predictable. Surfing fans will love it everyone else it's just ok.
½ January 8, 2016
Dj vu familiar.
But both Jonny Weston & Cooper Timberline, playing the protagonist Jay Moriarity in different age, are kinda well done.
November 3, 2015
WOW......WOW.....WOW.....WOW......JUST SEEN THIS MOVIE 4 THE 1ST TIME N THINK THAT THIS IS SUCH A SAD MOVIE 2 WATCH.......its got a good cast of actors/actresses throughout this movie......I think that Gerard butler, jonny Weston, Elizabeth shue, leven rambin, play good roles/parts throughout this movie.......I think that the director of this drama movie had done such a fantastic job of directing this movie because you never know what 2 expect throughout this movie.......I think that this is such a really fun movie 2 watch, but it is such a sad movie 2 watch as well because it is a real-life movie 2 watch, I think that this is such a really well written/acted/directed movie 2 watch, it is such a fantastic movie 2 watch.......

The film has received mixed reviews from critics. It received a 45% rating from Metacritic. Roger Ebert praised the film, saying that "Chasing Mavericks is made with more care and intelligence than many another film starting with its template might have been. It's better than most movies targeted at teens. And the cinematography of the big Mavericks scene by Oliver Euclid and Bill Pope is so frightening that you sort of understand why Frosty stays on the shore, watching Jay with binoculars." Rotten Tomatoes gives it a score of 31% based on 79 reviews, with the consensus stating: "It's sweet, gentle, and affably modest, but Chasing Mavericks is ultimately pulled under by an unconvincing script and a puzzling lack of energy."

the soundtrack is::

Soundtrack
Released October 22, 2012

1."Plowed" by Sponge
2."Brimful of Asha" by Cornershop
3."Blue Light" by Mazzy Star
4."Girlfriend" by Matthew Sweet
5."Pepper" by Butthole Surfers
6."Start Choppin" by Dinosaur Jr.
7."Fade into You" by Mazzy Star
8."Into Your Arms" by The Lemonheads
9."I Need an Energy" by Greg Holden
10."Chasing Mavericks Score Suite" by Chad Fischer
Other songs used in the film "Come Out and Play" by The Offspring
"Honey Baby" by Jules Larson

Production
The film went into production in October 2011 with a scheduled release date of October 26, 2012. On December 19, Gerard Butler was hospitalised briefly after being injured during a surfing stunt. Gerard Butler was mentored by big-wave surfer Grant Washburn. Michael Apted received second-position director credit for this film because he took over as director during the last 15 days of principal photography, while Curtis Hanson recovered from complications arising from recent heart surgery.

man this is such a really touching sad movie 2 watch but it is such a brilliant movie 2 watch, its got such a fantastic cast throughout this movie.....I think that this is such a sad movie 2 watch but it is such a brilliant real-life movie 2 watch with a great cast throughout this movie......
August 9, 2015
It's only an okay movie, it's not the best drama movie I've ever seen so far.
½ July 10, 2015
Inspiring, well you have only one life so chase your dream and make your dream true.
June 10, 2015
Really motivational and moving, and I don't care what anyone says about this film!
½ March 11, 2015
Waited to long to finally watch this Great Movie Based On Jay Moriarty's Surfing Life and Beginnings
½ March 7, 2015
A good film. I don't care much for what the critics say. This is a great but sad true story that needed to be told, and it was told well.
January 19, 2015
??????????????
½ December 12, 2014
Less a movie about surfing and more about a father son relationship and self discovery.
½ December 1, 2014
Una buena historia sobre la familia.
Buen taco de ojo
October 16, 2014
watching this movie made me wanna go surfing on the beach
October 14, 2014
If you like sports movies, if you like movies based on true events, if you like being inspired - you will love this movie. "Live like Jay"
September 24, 2014
Hard to review, but the film's really good and was well made providing good sights of the ocean and the waves. (B+)

(Full review coming soon - with better wording)