Che: Part Two (Guerrilla) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Che: Part Two (Guerrilla) Reviews

September 21, 2017
Based on Ernesto Che Guevara's 'The Bolivian Diary' that chronicles his last days before his death at the guerrilla campaign in Bolivia, Steven Soderbergh's day-to-day account is so tediously fatalistic that the poignancy of the closing scenes of the helicopter airlifting his body and his first journey with Fidel Castro to Cuba frazzles.
June 19, 2017
After the success of the Cuban revolution, Castro tried to spread his brand of communism to mainland South America and key to this aim was his trusted comrade Che Guevara. To this end, Guevara was smuggled secretly into Bolivia in the late 1960s to try to mobilise the disparate bands of guerrillas trying to overthrow the Barrientos regime. Bolivia was a very different place to Cuba with a population that had endured years of repression and had become cowed and downtrodden. With informants and spies everywhere, Guevara and his team of Cuban agitators are harried by the military, funded by a hostile US and find that they are unable to establish a workable base from which to manage the revolution. As the campaign unravels Guevara realises that the mission is not tenable and the whole venture ends in bloody disaster. The Second part of Steven Soderbergh's biopic of Che Guevara starring Benicio del Toro is a perfect bookend to the first movie. It has a very different tone and is suitable more down beat. Benicio's portrayal of the older, more world weary Guevara makes for a more tragic and doom laden figure who seems resigned to his ultimate fate. For me this has been a superb double bill of movies that capture the spirit of a man who casts a very long shadow indeed. Well worth watching whatever your views.
April 22, 2017
Although flawed to a degree, "Che: Part Two" is an excellent follow-up thanks to top form performances and directing.
June 25, 2016
Not as excellent as the first or I'm just depressed to see all his failures in this flick.
January 26, 2016
It seems that the harshest critics of the two Che films by Steven Soderbergh are the same ones that claim the first film is better than the second due to there being more action, completely ignoring the fact that the films are biopics and therefore based on history - damn you Che for not venturing into space to defeat an alien species intent on destroying every cigar factory in the Caribbean. The second instalment of the Che story is a continuation of the brilliant first film, I see them as one film to be honest and therefore, just as brilliant. Che's defeat in Bolivia is a very sad chapter in modern history, Soderbergh did pull on the heartstrings or milk it one bit, the message gets through load and clear on its own and it shows his maturity as a director. Added bonus was the appearance of Franka Potente who I've got a bit of a crush on.
½ January 13, 2016
74%
Saw this on 13/1/16
Che: part 2 (Guerrilla) is a fast paced, straight forward and easily understandable and at times disturbing film compared to its original, but sadly it lacks the non-linear narrative, style and Soderbergh's touch that was so effective in part one. However, Del Toro gives a powerful performance as Che in his days of decline.
November 13, 2015
This well-made second chapter of Soderbergh's two-part epic, centered now on Che in the Bolivian guerrilla, is more objective than the first one and does a better job to portray the character more as a man than a hero, which helps make it a slight improvement over Part 1.
October 26, 2015
Wonderful film chronicling Che Guevara's battles against the American backed Cuban dictator Batista.
October 12, 2015
Brave, Legendary and Griity.
½ October 11, 2015
Tanto esta, como la anterior película, hierven a fuego lento, y aunque no es tan buena como la primera parte, Benicio del Toro sigue muy bien como el Che Guevara, y la convicción y seguridad con la que Soderbergh dirige sigue siendo palpable.
October 2, 2015
AMAZING MOVIE SIGUE ASI ASIENDO BUEN TRABAJÃ?
½ January 28, 2015
Un peu moins fort que la première partie car beaucoup plus linéaire et épisodique, la partie Guerilla du diptyque sur Che Guevara de Steven Soderbergh reste un film pour le moins intéressant dans son approche totalement anti-spectaculaire du film de guerre malgré quelques escarmouches dans la deuxième heure. Le film est clairement trop long et répétitif, mais Benicio del Toro est excellent, tandis que le supporting cast, trop absent cependant, ne fait pas défaut. Difficile cependant de s'ôter de l'esprit que Soderbergh est peut-être passé à côté d'un sujet passionnant.
January 26, 2015
Part 2 of the controversial film of "Che" continues very well, in some ways the movie slows down a bit and it gets boring, but then picks up again, this film was very well made and it made me like more Benicio Del Toro as an actor, very well done conclusion to a latin icon. So for this being a okay continuation of the film, which I didn't like that it was divided into two parts, making money I guess. That Benicio Del Toro doing a great portray in playing Che, I give "Che Part 2" a C.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
This movie continues the story about revolutionary Ernesto 'Che' Guevara after the Cuba revolution and this time he have a new battle in Bolivia.. As with the first movie i didn't quite got into the story that much and along with almost no fights/battle scenes its very slow paced to watch actually atleast for me. Altho both Che Parts have been very well made with great perfomances and Benicio Del Toro fits perfect as "Che". If you like this history and maybe it catch your attention more than it did for me you will have a great experience watching this movies most certaintly.
September 15, 2014
much slower and more disjointed than part one
August 24, 2014
P.S. : Imran Khan.. !?
½ June 26, 2014
Like a long forrest trip, without too many great happenings. Naturally a lot like the first part, but less political scenes.I miss some depth behind many scenes. What are the meanings of things and why does they happen? It can stand as a film alone but combined with the first one it's better I guess. I never feel close to Che, I don't feel much for him, he is too distanced.

Not a intriguing movie for me, but one of the last scenes are quite great, that's about it - visually. In total, the film wouldn't need much more to really get me as a viewer, but sadly it doesent got that little extra.

5.5 out of 10 guerrillas.
May 13, 2014
The 'second' part focuses on the failed (or doomed) Bolivian revolution attempt. In this story, Che comes out of hiding to attempt to duplicate the success of the Cuban revolution in Bolivia. Benicio del Toro excels once again as Che, only this time, Che has less energy and less support so he does what he can. The way this second part bookends the story of Soderbergh's shines new light even on the first story, where it is suggested that the revolution was kind of 'allowed' to succeed, while in Bolivia it was suffocated within a year. The pacing of this film is sublime, creating an atmosphere of dread almost from the outset. The direction and cinematography accent this marvelously and as the story eventually comes to a close, Che is revealed as a complex individual, a 'career' revolutionary who perhaps didn't know when to quit.
April 28, 2014
Its first half is talkier than Part One, but it's clear that Soderbergh's treatment is intended to deny almost all opportunities for spectacle or the dramatics, substituting them for gritty realism and a serious approach to a serious historical figure. Del Toro's performance is undeniably impressive and shines all the brighter in the film's satisfyingly intense conclusion.
April 27, 2014
A rather bland depiction of Che Guevera's struggle to spread communism to Bolivia.