The Chronicles of Riddick - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Chronicles of Riddick Reviews

½ October 25, 2016
This was quite enjoyable for a guilty pleasure sci fi action movie. I actually love the character arc and it leaves me wanting more.
½ September 25, 2016
1.5/5. Am extremely disappointing sequel to the awesome Pitch Black. The special effects are very dated and the movie is pretty boring.
August 27, 2016
Probably my favorite SciFi movie of all time. The back story is a perfect fantasy scenario complete with a very satifying ending. Near the end of the story, you think Riddick is going to die, but something else happens.
½ August 17, 2016
Another great antihero film in the dark universe he carves his way through.
August 4, 2016
Nada que ver con la primera, fueron muy ambiciosos con esta secuela. De hecho la 3era es como un remake de la 1. Por lo que The Chronicles of Riddick ni parece parte de la trilogía. Me parece una muy buena película. Muy original. Lo malo es que en la versión extendida algunas escenas nuevas no fueron terminadas y tienen efectos malísimos. Esa escena la hubieran dejado como escena eliminada.
½ August 3, 2016
Tries to paint Riddick as a hero instead of an anti-hero vaguely hinting at some half-brained prophecy. It seems far fetched that Riddick gets caught up in some universe saving plot. The action movie fan in me enjoys it for what it is, but the sci-fi fan in me found it boring and unimaginative. Plus the special effects on this $105 million budgeted movie look worse than the $23 million budgeted Pitch Black.
½ July 3, 2016
Far better than the critics would have you believe, and the although I've only watched the Directors Cut version, I believe this is said to be the better of the two version. The budget is bigger than its predecessor, and it shows with some decent CGI that holds up nicely over ten years later. Despite being a sort of space opera, the plot isn't as convulted as you might expect. Director David Twohy keeps things mostly straightforward and linear and the pacing is perfectly solid. Vin Diesel of course reprises the role of Riddick and is once again given some decent one liners (that are used sparingly and he delivers with style) and the film incorporates some good action sequences. Everything flows together smoothly and quickly enough, and as a sci-fi universe that hasn't previously been expanded beyond the characters and planet in 'Pitch Black', the narrative is tidy and explains clearly what is happening without going to deep into some of the more extraneous characters like the one played by Judi Dench. Is it better or as good as 'Pitch Black'? No, but it's still worth a watch, especially just to see Vin Diesel's solid performance.
June 29, 2016
Action, and nearly epic story. Wonder if the fourth installment will be as epic as this one.
½ June 29, 2016
RIDDICK IS BACK BADDER THEN EVER, WITH GREAT ACTION . AS IT COMES OUT TO SHOW WHY HE IS THE BAD ASS AND WHAT MADE HIM SO.
½ June 29, 2016
Most of this movie's appeal comes simply from being another Riddick installment. If it was a standalone it would probably be both better reviewed, and less critically received. It definitely didnt live up to Pitch Black.
June 29, 2016
Once again we get a Riddick movie. It makes a lot more sense with the RESTORED footage than without. This is why this series won't die. On home video it tells the whole story. When you tell a good story people watch. If they'd stop chopping the Theatrical Version of these films they might actually make more money. If you saw the film at Theaters you owe yourself a chance to get the answers you were deprived of. Loaded with attitude, action, and now good storytelling this is a good film.
½ June 29, 2016
I'm torn between the theatrical and director's cut for Chronicles. While there is some more story and violence, the restored scenes cause the narrative to flow unevenly. The extra story content is very good, however it seemed to hamper the pace. 4 & 1/2 stars for the director's cut, 5 for the theatrical (can't believe I'm saying that).
Great Universe to further explore
½ June 22, 2016
A little more involved and larger scale than Pitch Black (which I guess this is a sequel to but more of a true spinoff I guess you could say). Good action and special effects in this one. A race of people seek followers and a place called "the underverse" and destroy planets. Riddick seeks answers helps an Imam and is thrust into a feud with the ruler of the conquering race after he finds that someone from Riddick's race is prophecied to kill him. I like where they take Riddick in this and the prison scenes are pretty awesome.
June 10, 2016
Essentially a Conan movie set in space. Good fun if you like an anti-hero protagonist, though the movie does suffer from overly rapid cuts in fight scenes that obscure the action.
May 17, 2016
Had to see it 3 times before I appreciated how well the plot hangs together. Great visuals, above average story telling. Like it!
May 8, 2016
I loved this movie, it's not simply a "sequel" to pitch black but an entire new epic sci-fi world. Much more deeper than the previous. Critics are heavily wrong on this one, is the best of the franchise, just very different. Pitch Black is "horror in space" a la "Alien", while Chronicles is epic space opera.
April 2, 2016
I wasn't that keen on Pitch black, but this movie is a lot better with only a few mild references to the first. The only trouble is it seems they cared more about the CGI.
March 30, 2016
Nuh, critics don't understand how cool this me is especially the extended version.
jamrcla
½ February 24, 2016
Slightly better than the first thanks to some good action scenes, But maybe strayed too far from the first, And the effects were pretty poor and the acting again was pretty bad I can see in a way why it's not liked as much as the first but it's not as bad as critics make out.