City for Conquest Reviews

• Jun 29, 2019

sappy, by todays standards

sappy, by todays standards

• Jun 14, 2019

Cagney boxing movie. Melodramatic, but very enjoyable.

Cagney boxing movie. Melodramatic, but very enjoyable.

• May 15, 2017

Interesting parrallel story of a up and coming boxer and his goil, an up and coming singer, sort of falls apart in the second half and becomes oscar bait sentimentality with Cagney chewing the scenery. Ends with a big number, a big speech AND a tearful reunion! Ho boy...

• Apr 12, 2016

I'm unashamedly a James Cagney enthusiast--in fact, he's my very favourite actor (like me, he's at least part-Irish, and he's more versatile than Orson Welles), so yes, I tend to be overly generous when I'm watching his films. But I really enjoyed this gangster/boxing hybrid film from the early 40's that, not only sported great acting by Cagney but also had wonderful performances by Ann Sheridan (I'm rather fond of redheads too), Anthony Quinn and a rare acting role for top-notch director Elia Kazan. Yes, it was melodramatic, a tearjerker and overly predictable--people talk about those qualities as if they were bad things. Also being an aficionado of many types of music, particularly jazz and classical, I found it highly compelling of the filmmakers to utilize music as a way of communicating the inexpressible (the trials and tribulations, dreams and pitfalls). Highly recommended for anyone who likes seeing filmmakers think outside of the box for once, and dare to try something different. Especially if you love Cagney and classic cinema as much as I do, I highly doubt you'll be disappointed.

• Nov 06, 2015

I showed this movie recently to our men's group. This film has a good musical score and three careers to focus on. It is a movie with "Middle Class" appeal. The ups and downs, and the great Gershwin style culmination are entertaining, and bring the audience to be involved emotionally. Cagney reminds you of "Public Enemy" while walking the streets, but the real lesson here is the hazards of choosing money over love in the case of Ann Sheridan, and the consequences of fame. But the film never fails on hope.

• May 30, 2015

well acted but ploddingly paced

well acted but ploddingly paced

• Mar 07, 2014

• Jan 14, 2013

For a guy who eventually makes his living as a prizefighter, Danny Kenny is one of the gentlest heroes James Cagney brought to the screen. His greatest pleasures are found in the girl friend he has from the neighborhood, Ann Sheridan, and in listening to the music creations of his brother Ed, played by Arthur Kennedy in his film debut. Kennedy has ambitions to be a serious composer and Sheridan has ambitions herself to get out of the Lower East Side of New York via show business as a dancer. My suggestion is that when you watch City for Conquest do it alone, because if you do it alone you might more easily give way to tears at Arthur Kennedy's dedication to his symphony to his brother.

• Aug 25, 2012

Fine Cagney boxing picture that features Elia Kazan, director of "On the Waterfront", "East of Eden" and many other classics, in a rare acting role. It could have been a classic if it had a little more grit and a little less pretescious ness.

• Aug 19, 2012

in "city for conquest", james cagney gives a hell of a performance. he brings a good amount of welcomed humor as well as the necessary emotions required for such a role. i found this film to be really entertaining, ang was on the edge of my seat during the big fight scene.