City Lights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Lights Reviews

January 2, 2017
City Lights combines humor, charm and pathos, resulting in arguably the greatest film in Charlie Chaplin's impressive filmography.
December 30, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies.
A deep emotional comedy love story.
It's easy to feel loved for the illusion one present to the blind, but to then be seen for ones real self. Yikes!
½ October 19, 2016
Nuevamente la magia de Chaplin, cómo logra cautivar al público son decir nada, y aun así mantenerme despierto y atento a lo que vaya a pasar, la historia es conmovedora, chistosa y con un bonito final.
½ September 25, 2016
I liked this movie. Some moments were intended to be funny but were not funny at all. In general this is a good comedy with dignity involved. I liked it, it was touching to see Tramp's love. I would recommend this movie.
September 24, 2016
It's still funny after 85 years, and most of all, the ending is one of the best scene in my opinion.
August 13, 2016
- Watched yet again at the request of my niece. Such a great film and very easy to re-watch. This is a film that everyone should see in their lifetime!

- Watched this again for the 2nd time within a year and with my 5yr old niece. Such a lovely film and looks stunning on Blu-Ray. Highly recommended!

- This is one of Chaplin's masterpieces...Brando, Kubrick, Ebert, Scorsese all think this is Chaplin's best film, I tend to agree. I hadn't seen it in a long time and didn't remember it well, so it was nice to revisit it on Blu-ray, after it had a 4k digital restoration, it's hard to believe the film is over 80yrs old! The film contains one of my favourite Chaplin bits, which is his boxing match, it's hilarious, and was one of his own favourite scenes as well. If you've never seen this film, see k it our, it's a MUST watch!
August 12, 2016
Whilst not as funny or outrageous as The Great Dictator or The Circus, City Lights brilliantly exhibits Chaplin's comedic genius and is a cute romantic comedy.
July 17, 2016
I had seen snippets of Chaplin doing his thing but this was the first time that I had seen City Lights from top to bottom. Charlies charms as usual as his Tramp defies the odds for the woman he loves. Very memorable.
April 30, 2016
A thing of astonishing beauty. As great as so much of Chaplin's filmography is, I don't think he ever did anything as perfect as the final few minutes of this movie.
April 22, 2016
City Lights (1931) ????
Chaplin's sweetest film is among his very funniest as the Tramp falls in love with a blind flower girl and tries to gather money to aid her medically. Warm, touching, constantly hilarious; a masterpiece.
January 7, 2016
This movie had romance and comedy but on two separate themes in the movie. The movie had an interesting was of combining the two themes. I personally found this movie hard to follow in some scenes. City lights is a movie that would be more enjoyable and entertaining if i watched it back in its time period.
January 5, 2016
City Lights is a movie that having watched it almost a century after it was made came across as being quite unoriginal with its silly slapstick humor and cliche romantic story. Of course whenever I put into perspective how this movie was one of the original originals and was one of the pioneers for the romantic comedy genre, it certainly became a bit more interesting. Charlie Chaplin, playing his famous role the Tramp, will keep you laughing and grinning, as well as feeling all warm and fuzzy on the inside. The music score of City Lights is in my opinion the highlight of the whole movie for it is what gives emotion to it and what really makes it come to life. City Lights is definitely a must watch for any person, but especially those who would like to take a journey to the past and get lost in another time.
December 31, 2015
This was a beautiful surprise. I grew up watching Egyptian movies so for some reason the voices in my head of the characters were in Egyptian, I was entertaining myself. Regardless, this has made me laugh maniacally and cry excessively. Truly a classic by all means and overflowing with emotions. The only question remains is why I have not seen this any time sooner.
December 21, 2015
City Lights is probably my favorite Charlie Chaplin film. The ending is one of the most perfect finales I've seen in any film....ever.
December 8, 2015
In the past few months I have watched my first 2 silent films, and both were directed by and starred one of the all-time greats of silent cinema. That allowed me to make some snap judgments based on the singular work I've seen from each of them. While Buster Keaton impressed me tremendously with his eye for shot selection and stunt work in The General, Charlie Chaplin seems to have a much stronger eye for comedic staging and story-telling in City Lights. I was so amazed at how much I was laughing at a film with some of the classic gags I've already seen copied by countless other film-makers in the future. Clearly the imitators never proved to be quite as effective at this stuff as Chaplin, who did it first. I also loved how detailed this story was, and yet I followed it all the way through without much dialogue at all. In fact I was so interested in the story and connected to the characters that my eyes actually started to well up at the end. I'm surprised to say it, but I genuinely loved this movie. There were a few gags that got a little tedious because they dragged on a bit longer and were more repetitive than they needed to be, but in a strange way, sometimes the repetition ended up making me laugh more. I'll admit that, since it's silent, I'm less likely to watch it again in the future. However I'm absolutely delighted that I've seen City Lights, and I would highly recommend it to anyone.
½ October 5, 2015
Chaplin's first sound film (but still with no voices, for he wanted it to be a universal tale) was this wonderful and funny movie of transition from the silents to the talkies, structured as a series of fantastic sketch-like scenes and with an incredibly moving, unforgettable last scene.
September 9, 2015
The definition of romantic comedy. So funny and sweet. The ending alone can fuck you up! Today's movies suck, so full of cliches.
August 23, 2015
he wasn't a handsome man, he didn't have money , he didn't have strength But only he had a heart.