City Lights - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

City Lights Reviews

October 12, 2017
?????(TM) #Gregghead
September 20, 2017
'City Lights' proves that when comedy is done right, it's timeless. Released in 1931, the film bridges the gap between the silent and talkie eras. It has a musical score but no dialogue, relying instead on intertitles, body language, and facial expressions to convey thought and meaning.

One might assume that such a film can't hold up to today's attention-deficit society, yet the plot is so cohesive and the gags are so amusingly inventive that viewers effortlessly remain engaged from start to finish.

Considering this is Chaplin's most acclaimed work--and among the favorite films of such luminaries as Orson Welles and Stanley Kubrick--this is a must-watch for every cinephile.
August 17, 2017
My all time favorite Charlie Chaplin movie!

Overall Grade: A+ (10/10)
July 24, 2017
With inventive storytelling and continual reliance on the comedic unfortunate circumstance, this may not be as wildly promising as its title, but it's still full of what Chaplin does best.
½ June 29, 2017
A hilarious and heartwarming slapstick comedy from Chaplin's Depression-era collection.
June 5, 2017
My favorite movie ??
June 2, 2017
So delightful and charming to watch Chaplin and his movies. This one is no exception. Hilarious, touching, and heart-warming, this movie is great.
May 25, 2017
The best silent comedy romance film ever I have been watched
½ May 4, 2017
Some films from this time period are so archaic that they aren't worth watching, but that is not the case with City Lights. Charlie Chaplin's Tramp is a funny character that has stood the test of time. I really admire Chaplin's passion and the amount of work he put into this film. It is an absolutely wonderful movie worthy of its recognition, and the ending is just as touching as people say. (First and only viewing - 2/12/2014)
April 29, 2017
Comic perfection from the incomparable mind of Charlie Chaplin. Even after the silent film era was over, Chaplin was able to bring his "Little Tramp" character back in another silent film classic. "City Lights" rates as pssibly his best moment. Every sequence comes together beautifully, showing us why Chaplin was one and is of the top movie icons of all-time.
April 16, 2017
Charlie Chaplin's masterpiece as heartfelt and funny as it can be
March 19, 2017
One of the cutest films I've ever watched, City Lights is probably Chaplin's masterpiece. It's got an acceptable length, fantastic acting and a well written story. The ending is one of the best acting in the history of cinema.
February 9, 2017
An endearing and sublimely beautiful piece of film history. Arguably, Chaplin's masterpiece, just barely edging out "The Gold Rush".

A masterful piece of silent era filmmaking so timeless and yet so brilliantly about a place in time. It lives in the 1930s almost as vividly as it lives in the heart of the viewer. So lovely in Chaplin's admiration of the beautiful flower girl (played with magnetic sweetness by Virginia Cherrill) and so thoroughly hilarious in its hijinks with the millionaire (played with superior comedic ability by the great Harry Meyers) even after over eighty years. It tells such a tender and sweet story; performing a cinematic high wire act of balancing outlandish slapstick humor with moments of subtlety and nuance not commonly found in silent cinema, nor in modern film for that matter.

"City Lights" is a work of sheer genius that thrives on the ceaselessly funny shoulders of the Tramp, a true cinematic renaissance man that showed the power of the image before film had a voice.

Also, just as an aside, if that final shot doesn't melt your heart, you may have fallen asleep or are otherwise without a soul.
February 7, 2017
Quite possibly the best romantic comedy of all-time. Chaplin has a way of making us laugh while also pulling at our heart strings. The master Chaplin is at his best as the tramp. This is a timeless piece about how love transcends social class and wealth. Enjoy the journey and a spectacular ending.
February 3, 2017
10 out of 10:

Funny choreography, likable characters, and a sweet story makes City Lights one of the greatest silent comedies.
January 2, 2017
City Lights combines humor, charm and pathos, resulting in arguably the greatest film in Charlie Chaplin's impressive filmography.
December 30, 2016
One of my all time favorite movies.
A deep emotional comedy love story.
It's easy to feel loved for the illusion one present to the blind, but to then be seen for ones real self. Yikes!
½ October 19, 2016
Nuevamente la magia de Chaplin, cómo logra cautivar al público son decir nada, y aun así mantenerme despierto y atento a lo que vaya a pasar, la historia es conmovedora, chistosa y con un bonito final.
½ September 25, 2016
I liked this movie. Some moments were intended to be funny but were not funny at all. In general this is a good comedy with dignity involved. I liked it, it was touching to see Tramp's love. I would recommend this movie.