Confessions of a Superhero Reviews

• Apr 10, 2016

It lacks the narrative cohesion to be great documentary. Added to that its filmed with crappy digital cameras that gives it a cheap ugly look.

• Aug 10, 2015

A wonderful documentary about the search for fame and the lie of ever having it.

KJ P Super Reviewer
    Jul 01, 2014

The message of this film is to never give up on your dreams (in the long run), but "Confessions of a Superhero" is a much deeper documentary than that, showing the ins and outs of the acting business and how well-off street performers actually may be. Some may appear to homeless, but if they are passionate enough about what they do, they will go to great lengths to make something of themselves. This film does a great job exploring all of these aspects and I highly enjoyed watching it. It definitely feels refreshing seeing what the lives of these people is truly like, after seeing them for so long on the street and making my own assumptions. Very well-edited and capturing the right amount of footage, there is hardly anything to complain about with this documentary. Definitely recommended!

• Feb 27, 2014

Interesting look at the people behind the costumes.

Interesting look at the people behind the costumes.

• Jan 04, 2014

★★★ (out of four) An entertaining and infectious little documentary that can be very insightful at times. It doesn't always find its mark. I did feel that there was more of a story to tell about its suject, but it is still work a look. Anyone who has ever been to Hollywood Boulevard or even the Vegas Strip for that matter, has seen the people who dress up in costumes, hoping tourists will take a photo with them for a price. They aren't supposed to push for money, but they do anyway. The film follows four such people. We get people dressing as Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, and the Hulk. It follows what motivates them and how they ended up here. All are failed actors who brokenm dreams have landed them in front of Grauman's Chinese Theater, basically panhandling. It's a good look at what happens to those who trek to Hollywood looking to become famous, but fall short. I suspect more thorough look at this lifestyle would reveal a darker side, full of drug and alcohol abuse. That would make it even more compelling. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v48/Zeppo1/Confessionsofasuperhero_zpsaa4ad0d6.jpg[/IMG]

• Nov 20, 2013

Good example of a movie that movie critics and buffs sometimes love to death, far beyond what it deserves. It's okay as a documentary, but I really disagree that these are people deserving our sympathy. The honorary mayor is right - these guys really are panhandlers in a costume, and they manage to make some money. Which means they could do something less pathetic, but choose not to. They are terribly, terribly bad at playing the parts they've chosen. But they're surprisingly good at figuring out what traps a few tourists. The director clearly wants us to feel sympathetic, mixing the scenes with inspiring background music...but it all falls flat for me. I think what is particularly unnerving is that these folks unwittingly make a sad mockery of the characters they supposedly revere.

• Sep 05, 2013

Weird and funny look at a group of unique L.A. individuals.

Weird and funny look at a group of unique L.A. individuals.

• Jul 30, 2013

This was a really good documentary that follows a group of people who dress up as their favourite superhero in Hollywood to pose with tourists for tips. It was both funny and sad, some are shown to be eccentrics, some desperate, some with clear mental health problems but all of them have clearly lost their way in their search for fame and fortune in Hollywood.

• Jul 02, 2013

Wow, I was introduced to ppl like this for the first time when I went to LA a couple years ago. I had no idea u had to tip them and didn't have cash on me. Needless to say they weren't happy and it left a big imprint on how I look at LA now, as to before. It made me realize that LA has a lot of homeless and lost ppl, not so glamorous. It was intriguing to learn more about this ppl who like to the average tourist like me kind of was scared/pitied them, but was entertained nonetheless by them. I realized these ppl have some serious issues-honestly they are a step up from panhandlers but with pizazz. They are Hollywood's version of the homeless. I appreciate that some of them really like to do this and take their "job" serious. Most of them seemed to have grandeur of being something more important than what they are (duh who else would want to dress up like superheros unless they have a big ego). Idk so much to say about each one of them. Superman was in love with himself and his gf was in love with his hero like image-she was obsessed with him like a god or something. It was cool that he knew so much about Superman but jesus it was ridiculous and he seemed to be a compulsive liar. The girl from Tennessee was an attention whore saw that divorce coming after marrying within 2 weeks, Batman was also a liar and walked into a psych office in his suit omg lmao, poor Hulk seemed to have no self-esteem I felt so bad for him, well and for all of them. Good ppl just a bit eccentric. One thing I learned from this movie is to tip these ppl next time. Most of them are aspiring actors like so many young hopeful good looking ppl in LA looking to be famous and instead get lost somewhere along the journey.

• Jun 30, 2013

Sad movie about some of the eccentric failures in L.A.

Sad movie about some of the eccentric failures in L.A.