The Cotton Club Reviews

• Jan 02, 2019

A lost gem, Francis Coppolas understated and smooth direction really lets its stylish and up and coming cast sparkle amidst the prohibition era jazz. The whole film never goes off into the deep end and never loses its grip on reality. Its criminally underrated, worth critics turning around on.

• Mar 26, 2018

Nonstop stories which flowed effortlessly throughout the movie.

Nonstop stories which flowed effortlessly throughout the movie.

• Oct 31, 2016

A delight of vintage costuming and sets. Great performances in particular by Gregory Hines and Lonette McKee.

• Sep 17, 2016

One of the best in recent years,

One of the best in recent years,

• Feb 04, 2016

Sometimes you think why am I fucking watching this film? Nicolas Cage was okay for his debut years, but he became even better after this film obviously.

• Jan 08, 2016

Almost a mafia musical there is that much singing and dancing in it. It's like somebody found out that Richard Gere could play the cornet and Gregory Hines could tap dance and they decided to write a story around these points. I think even die hard gangster movie fans would struggle with this. I did, it's that sort of period drama that I don't get along with. I can understand that some people will love it though.

• Nov 06, 2015

You meet a gun with a gun. The Cotton Club was an upscale jazz club in Harlem with an array of different types of guest, but primarily white figures. The club is owned by a black man but he struggles with the ability to run a profitable club if he allows too many of his own culture into the club. The movie follows the lives of those who visited the club. "I ought to cut out your brain and pickle it." Francis Ford Coppola, director of Apocalypse Now, The God Father 1-3, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Rumble Fish, Dementia 13, Jack, and The Rainmaker, delivers Cotton Club. The storyline for this picture is just okay and a bit flat. The characters were only so interesting and the acting was average. The cast includes Richard Gere, Gregory Hines, Diane Lane, Bob Hoskins, Nicolas Cage, James Remar, and Laurence Fishburne. "The kid can't act." I came across this film on HBOGO and thought it sounded interesting and would be a cool 30s New York nightlife picture. It was just okay. There were some okay subplots, but nothing that blows your skirt up. I'd give this a C and not consider this a must see. "Shake fucking hands." Grade: C

• Jun 05, 2015

One of the undervalued gems of cinema. But the romance between Dixie and Vera or the Sandman and Lila aren't the sell. The sell is the bromance between club owner and mob boss Madden (Bob Hoskins) and his right arm, Frenchy (Fred Gwynne). Their chemistry and humor is the reason I go back to this film every so often.

• May 03, 2015

Underrated mafia flick. It's definitely not "The Godfather", but it is surely worth a watch.

• Apr 19, 2015