The Court Jester Reviews

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jan 03, 2020

An insane vehicle for Danny Kaye. Each scene slowly adds more and more outrageous farce elements until the frenzied finale. Its often quite funny but the movie is a little exhausting.

• Aug 20, 2019

A must watch Hollywood classic. Despite its age, this film will still bring you laughs. Love this film and Danny Kaye.

• Mar 28, 2019

the duelling scenes are great!

the duelling scenes are great!

• Mar 30, 2018

Danny Kaye's comedic timing in this situaltional romp is funny, charming and clever.

• Mar 17, 2018

So pleased to see this film getting the credit it deserves. All the jokes crack me up no matter how many times I watch it. Brilliant physical comedy as well as dialogue. this is a timeless classic.

• Feb 01, 2018

Fantastic movie. Classic humor and talent at its best.

Fantastic movie. Classic humor and talent at its best.

• Dec 31, 2017

Danny Kaye's finest role. Witty and charming. Laugh-out-loud funny.

Danny Kaye's finest role. Witty and charming. Laugh-out-loud funny.

• Sep 24, 2017

Without a doubt, Kaye's best film, a wonderful, cartoonish mixture of farce, satire and song, and with a stellar supporting cast; includes the classic exchange, "The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle." A must-see.

• Sep 19, 2016

The Court Jester is absolutely hilarious. I was actually surprised because I suspected that the attempts at humor in the movie would be mostly centered around Danny Kaye bumbling around and making faces. While there is a fair share of both of those things, it's the plot that I found most entertaining. This movie takes everything to excessive levels, which makes me laugh. The basic plan of the protagonist is simple, but they keep throwing more and more complications in there with competing agendas from at least 4 different sides. It's as if each new character that walks onto screen adds their own twist to the story. Then there are 2 different McGuffins that keep getting shuffled around, and with all this the movie starts to feel like a classic screwball comedy. The cast also elevates The Court Jester brilliantly. Glynis Johns, Cecil Parker, and Angela Lansbury all have a perfect feel for the comedy while still making their characters genuine instead of goofy like Danny Kaye. The surprise in the cast is Basil Rathbone who feels like he was plucked right out of an Errol Flynn film in order to add gravitas to the villain. He even gets a few scenes to display his brilliant sword-fighting skills, which are only accentuated by the comically bad swordplay from Danny Kaye. I couldn't ask for much more from The Court Jester, because it completely delighted me from start to finish. It's the kind of movie that made me think "why didn't I watch this years ago?"

• Apr 08, 2016

This is a great family video. I would recommend anyone to see it.

This is a great family video. I would recommend anyone to see it.