The Court Jester Reviews

• Mar 29, 2021

Best Danny Kaye comedy.

Best Danny Kaye comedy.

• Jan 30, 2021

Outrageously hilarious to this day! Melvin Frank and Norman Panama's period comedy The Court Jester (1955) is one of my favorite comedy classics as it's basically a spoof of The Adventures of Robin Hood and Errol Flynn. Their direction is stellar with striking vision for a fast paced and funny comedy for any age. Frank and Panama's writing is silly, yet clever with stark dry wit, impressive tongue twisters, and numerous creative gags that'll keep you laughing from start to finish. They directed The Court Jester like it's a serious historical piece that happens to have all these delightful jokes throughout it by chance. It's quite charming. Danny Kaye's Herbert Hawkins is such a pleasant leading joker of a character. He effortlessly spoofs Errol Flynn's Robin Hood with a silly persona and foolish manner. He sings, dances, tongue twists, whistles, and swashbucklers with an impressive versatility. The Court Jester is really one giant actor's reel for Kaye to dazzle with his jack of all trades jester. You have to hear his deep endearing singing, complex tongue twister gags, and daring sword fight with Basil Rathbone's entertaining Sir Ravenhurst. Rathbone was Hollywood's greatest fencer, so it's an astonishing delight to see him duel Danny Kaye, especially since it was Rathbone who dueled Errol Flynn in The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood. Glynis Johns is drop dead gorgeous, spirited with a feminist independence, humorous agency, dreamy husky voice, and stylish glamour like the greatest of screen actresses. I adore Glynis Johns as Maid Jean, the Captain of the stern Edward Ashley's Black Fox forest rebels. She is a wonderful dear of cinema in The Court Jester. She gets nearly as much screen time as Danny Kaye here, much to my enjoyment. Angela Lansbury is pretty as Princess Gwendolyn, but it's her thirsty lust for Kaye that is so funny. Cecil Parker is very funny as the foolhardy King Roderick I. His scenes alongside Glynis Johns are perhaps the funniest moments in The Court Jester. John Carradine gets a funny cameo as the real court jester Giacomo. Mildred Natwick is great as the witch Griselda. Robert Middleton's hefty presence as Sir Griswold has a dark gravitas and fun rage against Kaye's court clown. Tom McAdoo's editing keeps The Court Jester to a briskly paced 101 minutes of nonstop joy. Ray June's cinematography looks as sweeping with gorgeous wide shots everywhere, beautifully framed as if it were for a genuine period drama. Hal Pereira and Roland Anderson's art direction is lovely with stunning backdrop paintings and vividly colored scenes. Sam Comer and Arthur Krams' set decoration adorns this castle set with deep purples and ornate furnishings of all kinds of medieval things. Walter Scharf, Van Cleave, and Vic Schoen's score is pretty with a lively tempo and sweet renaissance style. All the lyrics are witty for the sung songs with even more jokes herein these tunes. Edith Head and Yvonne Wood's costumes are gloriously intricate and regal in appearance. The pink dress for Angela Lansbury, or the orange or green dress on Glynis Johns are truly beautiful clothing designs. I like the black and white suits for Danny Kaye's fashion as well. Basil Rathbone's purple lord's outfits are excellent too. Wally Westmore's make-ups give every lady cute blush and a natural warmth. In all, The Court Jester is definitely worth seeing still for Danny Kaye's humor and Glynis Johns' performance.

• Nov 05, 2020

he Court Jester is a fabulous showcase for Danny Kaye's talents, with witty dialogue, entertaining songs, and plenty of physical comedy. In addition, Glynis Johns & Angela Lansbury do a fantastic job making the ridiculous plot feel more believable. This movie is undeniably silly, but if you're in the mood for silly, this will definitely hit the spot.

• Jul 21, 2020

I found it goofy but not funny.

I found it goofy but not funny.

• Jul 20, 2020

Very enjoyable parody of swashbuckling/Middle Ages movies. The 'vessel with the pestle' sequence is a high point.

• Jul 02, 2020

I loved this movie as a kid, and coming back to it as an adult fills me with so much joy. Maybe nostalgia is making me think more fondly of it, but I find myself coming back to this movie time and time again. I only wish it was more accessible, like on Netflix or Hulu.

• May 16, 2020

Good old fashioned fun. Danny Kaye dazzles -- with delightful singing, dancing, swordplay, and wordplay.

• Apr 05, 2020

Pretty funny movie, fun to watch but there are better spoofs out there in my opinion.

Alec B Super Reviewer
    Jan 03, 2020

An insane vehicle for Danny Kaye. Each scene slowly adds more and more outrageous farce elements until the frenzied finale. Its often quite funny but the movie is a little exhausting.

• Aug 20, 2019

A must watch Hollywood classic. Despite its age, this film will still bring you laughs. Love this film and Danny Kaye.