Coven Reviews

• Jul 27, 2016

Inebriated splatter.

Inebriated splatter.

• Apr 17, 2016

The horror short by Mark Bouchardt is not nearly as entertaining as the documentary that was made during much of it's production. In the doc, Mark comes off as a tad pretentious, believing himself better than others who work a normal 40 hour a week job, believing himself to be a true artist...yet here is the art. And it kind of stinks. It is pretentious, it is amateur, it isn't that entertaining. I know the production was hell for Mark...but there is barely even a spark of something I'd like to see more of. It is no better than most of the student films I had to sit through in film school.

• Mar 29, 2016

This low-budget schlock is the brain child of Mark Borchardt, the aspiring filmmaker who, along with his efforts to get this movie made was the subject of the fantastic documentary AMERICAN MOVIE. That was a great film- COVEN, however, is amateurish, horribly written, horribly directed and barely even acted. Even the cinematography is awful- but what is interesting is that Milwaukee suburb this film was made in looks as lifeless and dead as it did in AMERICAN MOVIE.

• Feb 21, 2016

This sounds a lot like what would happen to Stephen King had he tried reflecting on life with his own twist.

• Jan 04, 2016

Anyone who has seen American Movie will definitely want to see this. A cult classic in the Indie film world. Dont expect a masterpiece but go into it open minded.

• Dec 04, 2015

Over the top performance by Borchardt.Under performance by others.

Over the top performance by Borchardt.Under performance by others.

• Jul 26, 2013

this is a shockingly well-shot amateur film that's actually better than what american movie made it look. it is definitely pretty stupid and wanders off and filled with all sorts of plot holes, inadvertent goofs, bad acting, editing, etc etc etc but the fact that it's even the least bit watchable is an achievement in itself, and the independent film spirit is definitely there. the campiness even adds to the charm, in fact

• Feb 04, 2013

Coven was a very interesting little film. It wasn't long and filled with effects and wild stunts. It was a quaint little film that really delved deep into a situation that would make you question yourself in terms of what is real and what is not. It stars Mark Borchardt who is cult famous with American Movie. This story is short and sweet and the black and white just give it that distinct charm. It is a humble independent film, it captivates a select audience and really pulls them in. The whole aspect of Coven is that there is this writer who suffers from drug and alcohol addiction to write "well". But Borchardts character "Mike" is introduced to this group of people by his friend who he thinks can help him battle his addictions. However, all does not seem what it appears to be to Mike. And I really should leave it at that. It takes some flare from The Shining, along with some of the atmosphere, along with the landscape of Night of the Living Dead. Coven is really the kind of movie that if it hits you, its hit you in the right spot where it leaves a long lasting impression on you. I really enjoyed watching Coven, and you can to on youtube. Definitely worth a watch to the fans of older horror films.

• Chris W Super Reviewer
    Feb 07, 2012

This little no budget horror short is the end result of the hard work and struggles by Mark Borchardt and Co. as depicted in the documentary American Movie. It concerns a loser substance abusing writer who tries to re-examine his life and change things around by going to a support group to fix things. The group he goes to however, end up being more sinister tha nthey first seem, and our protagonist gets far more than he bargained for or expected. To see this film's creation, and to hear Mark talk about it, and filmmaking in general, it seems like he really knows what the hell he's doing, and all of his struggles are not due to lack of knowledge or training in the art of filmmaking. What this film ends up being though, is maybe realistically more of what everyone but Mark can see: a messy, amateurish, and slightly pretentious B-movie that, while entertaining, is sorta worse than anyone might admit. I actually kinda like it though. Sure, it's not good, but compaed to some of the crap that my friends and I made or tried to make when we were bored kids trying to stay out of trouble, this is frickin' art. It's not great, but it's far better and more competantly put together than it could have been, especially ocnsidering the context surrounding its creation. Also, because I watched American Movie before I saw this, I think that too weighs in with how I feel about it. You have to give Mark and Co. some credit, and you really want ot see them succeed, even if in your heart you know that realistically things will never be as great as they envision it in their heads. Yeah, the film is pretty rough and raw, but it really adds to the atmosphere of the story and gives it character. As far as the acting goes, well, it's not great, but I've seen big budget Hollywood films that were far worse. Again, I'm contextualizing and juding it through a certain lens, but even if I didn't this would still be better than a lot of things I've seen. All in all, this is a msut-see if you got anything positive from American Movie, and you give a dman about struggling filmmakers whose dreams and ambitions far outweigh everything else in their lives. Plus, it's only 40 minutes, so if you hate it you won't lose too much of your time.

• Jun 21, 2011

I actually enjoyed this very much. This is the kind of film that makes me want to shoot video more in black and white. With the subject matter of alcohol and drug abuse I think the film gets it point across. Surely a cult classic, if not only because of the documentary American Movie. I like the film a lot more than say.. The Room. Way more.