Crimes of Passion Reviews

• Jul 21, 2020

Potentially great Ken Russell venture into erotic thrills, Kathleen Turner's world-weary China Blue and Anthony Perkins' demented preacher create the strongest moments in Crimes of Passion, however the decision to prominently throw a suburban couple's disintegrating marriage into the mix waters down the overall visual and emotional impact of the film. A story focused exclusively on the outrageous interplay between Turner and Perkins would have been a far more effective and entertaining experience, and feels like a better showcase for Russell's uniquely twisted sense of theatrical excess.

• Jun 30, 2017

Ken Russell and I have an understanding at this point so I'll basically follow him anywhere. And if that means I gotta put on a crappy blonde wig and a cheap blue dress and walk down a long sleazy alleyway behind him I'll do it goddamn it- because I know there's at least an equal opportunity full frontal dude in the same outfit not far behind. What? Uhhhh... I mean-- Crimes of Passion is just great. It's all the sleaze you want with with the blatant metaphors you need and the artistic shots - or quite literally cut aways to art- to keep you walking the tight rope of high concept. It's a movie about male and female sexual dissatisfaction that suprisingly (but not for my boo Ken Russell) walks the line of middle ground even when it's characters go to the utmost extremes. Nobody in this film is right or wrong, and it very pointently refuses to take sides - Donny is a brutish and selfish husband and lover, his wife is caught between what she wants and what's expected of her, and Joanna chooses sex work over honest emotional contact while still rolling her eyes at every client she has. Then there's the brilliant Anthony Perkins as the ever watching, ever flawed eye of God... Great trashy movie that you can indulge in without having to take a shower afterward. Loved it.

• Mar 12, 2017

A crazed satire on the American dream realised in vivid, deranged Ken Russell style, accompanied by a Rick Wakeman soundtrack. Not for everyone but a must for Russell fans

• Sep 22, 2016

The film is confused what it wants to be, but that's just Russell's style isn't it? At times it's cheesy romance thriller fluff, but at others it's rather profound. Ken Russell isn't at his most insane here, but it definitely shines through in spots.

• Aug 27, 2016

Some great imagery and music here and there. Not good enough in general though.

Some great imagery and music here and there. Not good enough in general though.

• Jul 19, 2016

This is complete and utter dog shit. The dialogue is terrible and it is complete and utter madness from Ken Russell. In saying that, it is extremely watchable and Anthony Perkins is in fine form as Rev. Peter Shayne and manages to make Norman Bates look like an Altar Boy. Some of the scenes are off the wall with an extremely sexy Kathleen Turner penetrating a cop with a truncheon. The human penis is one of the funniest yet most cringe worthy thing I have ever seen. So seedy, sleazy and enjoyable.

• Feb 05, 2016

Erotic Black Comedy? Whatever. This odd film has very subtle elements of Anthony Perkins' Norman Bates in his character here, I wonder why. Not a serious film by any means.

• May 21, 2015

Overtly offensive and neon-drenched satire from Ken Russell may be accused of a number of offenses, but it is hard to imagine anyone finding it dull. Anthony Perkins camps it up and Kathleen Turner's fearless (and graphic) portrayal both manage to match pitch-perfect speed with Russell's insane movie. Be warned: Not for all tastes. In fact, there is nothing tasteful about this odd film.

• Apr 13, 2015

Sex on screen has never been so boring and as for the script,what script?

Sex on screen has never been so boring and as for the script,what script?

• Jan 09, 2015

Hilariously bad. Plenty of wtf moments.

Hilariously bad. Plenty of wtf moments.