La Diagonale du Fou (Dangerous Moves) Reviews

• Jun 16, 2018

Dangerous Moves has good dialogue and some interesting scenes, but for the most part it's an immensely boring, uneventful film that lacks energy, conviction and strong characterization. It is as boring as a movie about chess can possibly be leading to another forgettable, questionable foreign Oscar winner.

• Apr 08, 2017

Obviously inspired by Fischer vs. Spassky, this is a well-acted, well-directed, and quite absorbing movie

• Jim H Super Reviewer
    Jul 22, 2014

A Soviet exile and a Soviet citizen are pitted in a high-pressure chess match. While some of the events, like the witch doctor in the audience, are funny and interesting, as a whole, this film is about as exciting and entertaining as you'd think a film about chess would be. What the film fails to do is get into the heads of these players to the point that their machinations raise to the level of compelling drama. Overall, I balk at calling a film boring, but honesty compels me to say that Dangerous Moves is kinda boring.

• Mar 08, 2014

The premise is simple - Two chess players, one Grand Champion and one former protégé battle over the course of several days for the title of World Champion. Conceptually, the film is set up as a thriller and it's ambitious. Although it delivers on intrigue, it sacrifices on adequate character development. Characters are more representative of ideas than they are actual believable people. Background information is given only in pieces, so it's a difficult film to sink one's teeth into. That said, as a viewer, you definitely find yourself wanting to know who wins.

• Morris N Super Reviewer
    May 31, 2013

Taut, well acted Cold War type political thriller in which the battlefield is the world championship chess match between a Soviet and a Soviet defector. Won the Best Foreign Language Oscar. Excellent movie.

• Oct 27, 2012

High stakes, conspiracy theories, surprise strategies, and mind games all converge at the 1983 World Chess Championship between the veteran Soviet and his young dissident opponent. This chess film is much better than most sports films.

• Jan 10, 2011

A chess match between an old Soviet master and a young pompous soviet defectee. Maybe this movie is a metaphor for the changes happening within Russia, the battle between the old way of thinking and the new. Or it's just two guys trying to win a chess game.

• Nov 24, 2010

An intriguing film especially if you are a chess enthusiast. These are two extremely serious competitors. It won an Academy Award for best foreign film in 1984.

• Apr 19, 2009

• Apr 09, 2009

Pretty good Foeign Film winner about a championship chess tournament in Russia (I think) between two major players. The problem is that this film has a lot of political stuff going on and I couldn't really follow it. The actual chess matches were pretty engaging (considering it was chess) and I liked the way they were played out (though it's no Search for Bobby Fisher). Liv Ullmann has a small role in the film but I really don't know what she had to do with the storyline. I did however love the ending.