The Desert Fox Reviews

• Oct 14, 2020

The film is simply too short to get any understanding of Rommel. I also had a big issue with all the very english accents when playing Germans. I really cannot recommend this film.

• Jul 03, 2019

James Mason is brilliant as Rommel in this strangely touching biopic. The scenes of war are quite affecting. An intelligent and worthwhile movie about one of Hitler's most loyal officers.

• May 09, 2018

Would have been much better if all the Germans did not have British accents! Can't British Actors pull off at least a basic German accent to make the movie more credible and watchable? This is one of the most annoying production/casting jokes that ruins so many movies, war and religious movies especially. Arabs and Palestinians with strong British accents..... Germans with British accents.... come on- how much effort is put into costumes, sets etc... only to have the Germans sounding more British than the Brits themselves. I have watched with people who were totally confused with such war movies - due to confusing accents and dialog

• Oct 03, 2017

Really good old film about a great WWII general. Though it is mostly fictional as far as plot goes it does tell a pretty accurate story of general Rommel. A lot would demonize him because he fought for Germany, but Rommel himself wasn't a Nazi. Even though the acting is nothing flashy I still love the way the characters are carried out, James mason's.

• Sep 22, 2015

The Desert Fox is an incredible film. It is about the final years of the respected World War II German general, Erwin Rommel. James Mason and Cedric Hardwicke give excellent performances. The screenplay is well written. Henry Hathaway did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama and action.

• Jun 02, 2014

In the past few years, I truly felt that I couldn't really consider myself a true-blooded cinephile after giving such short shrift to the cinema of the 1920s-60's, particularly in the genres of war films, westerns and musicals. In trying to right that, this was one of those films I stockpiled for a rainy day. It was greatly enjoyable, and one of my favourite actors from that era, James Mason, was so good at playing this kind of heinous yet brilliant villain. Heartily recommended.

• Jan 19, 2014

This is a limited biopic that almost bulletpoints the events of its subject's life but when the general public thinks of Rommel they likely picture James Mason, and so this has to be regarded as an iconic role for the actor.

• Aug 02, 2013

This movie suffers a bit from an uneven mood: It feels like part documentary (since it uses a lot of actual combat footage), part Cold War propaganda (building up Rommel a bit too much as a sympathetic character for Western audiences), and part World War II drama. The first half of the film feels weak for those reasons, but then the performances among the lead actors abruptly get really good when Rommel starts to get drawn into the plot to assassinate Hitler. Chronicling that plot and its aftermath become the focus of the movie thereafter, and it's done very well, so despite the uneven quality, I rate it 3 stars on the strength of the performances of James Mason, Jessica Tandy, Cedric Hardwick, and especially Leo G. Carroll, who utterly convinced me that he'd been playing the palace intrigue game with the German general staff his whole life.

• May 28, 2013

Boring story about a German general who (finally) feels that Hitler is mad

Boring story about a German general who (finally) feels that Hitler is mad

• Sep 29, 2012

A sensational James Mason as the most popular German general--History's mysteries!!