Different for Girls Reviews

• Dec 25, 2019

Rupert Graves gives a very energetic and charismatic performance. The character work is done fairly well from a storytelling perspective. The film does suffer from some pacing issues and at times a lack of Drive in the plot. The relationship stuff for the most part does work and that's what makes the movie work. It's melodramatic but with an interesting spin and fairly good performances.

• Dec 11, 2012

This rather thought-provoking Brit flick made one aware how difficult especially the male world can be on those like the Karl/Kims who are born into this world with a different mix of chromosomes that does not fit the usual meaning of the word gender. What makes this movie different from some others on the same topic is the lack of torrid melodrama and the build up of a rather touching romance between the two main characters, and excellent performances by Rupert Graves and Steven MacIntosh.

• Aug 07, 2012

A lot of patience to endure a predictable but sweet love story

A lot of patience to endure a predictable but sweet love story

• Jun 27, 2012

Lovely movie; expect more of a 'oh it's a tranny, ew' or half-stepping around on the idea of transgendered people.

• Dec 26, 2011

[02/12] Großartiger Film mit toller Besetzung und bewegender Story. ?

[02/12] Großartiger Film mit toller Besetzung und bewegender Story. ?

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    Apr 12, 2011

Overall, this movie was ok. I never entirely bought Kim as a woman however. It just seemed like two dudes in a gay relationship, which was fine. My biggest problem with the film is one of expectation, I think. I expected better. While this movie didn't put me to sleep, the plodding story ultimately leaves you feeling like you could have done something better with the movie's running time of 96 minutes. Just sayin..

• Sep 22, 2009

Weird-but interesting-I guess it was the British type movie

Weird-but interesting-I guess it was the British type movie

• Jul 20, 2009

Love the level of romanticism in this movie.

Love the level of romanticism in this movie.

• May 20, 2009

I really thoroughly enjoyed this British romantic dramedy. I came upon it totally by accident and had never heard of it before. Even though it's a feel-good movie, the acting in this piece is really quite serious and outstanding. It's about the chance encounter of 2 former classmates that once shared a special bond meeting up again as adults years after their graduation, only this time one is a straight male while the other is a post-op transsexual. The plot is refreshing and seemingly realistic, and I didn't find it to be tacky or disturbing in the least bit. The 2 main characters are likeable enough that you'd feel for them and their struggles. I like this movie enough to be able to call it one of my favorites of all time.

• Apr 20, 2009

This movie has its heart in the right place, and for a light romantic comedy, it's not bad. The two leads, especially Rupert Graves, are really fun to watch, and regardless of what gender these characters were born with, this is really just another sweet, amusing story about the "bad boy" and "good girl" falling in love, with even more odds stacked against them than usual. It's too bad, then, that the chemistry between these two leads feels forced in all but the sex scene at the end, which is very moving and honest. The plot is also highly contrived, and the attempt to juice it up with some side plots that never go anywhere just makes it seem convoluted. Also be ready to suspend your disbelief where Steven Mackintosh is concerned, because even though he acts like a woman, he doesn't look at all like a post-op transexual, only a cross-dresser.