District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

February 20, 2018
Went into this not knowing much about the plot or expecting something truly amazing. Themes are presented well and the plot reflects the general society of today. A TRUE MASTER PIECE.
½ February 17, 2018
REALLY INTERESTING SCI FI WITH WONDERFUL CREATURES AND SPECIAL EFFECTS ON FAIRLY LOW BUDGET. VERY WELL DONE!
February 13, 2018
a master piece. a story of metamorphosis and oppression
February 8, 2018
A truly bad movie. The raw mockumentary style did not work at all. Extremely boring and unpleasant. (First and only viewing - 1/25/2018)
February 3, 2018
Ok, one time watch sci-fi world.
February 3, 2018
i wanna see that too
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Neill Blockam usa una manera muy perspicaz e inteligente para criticar las relaciones entre las distintas clases sociales, internacionales e incluso la experimentación biólogica ilegala traves de la ciencia ficción y una magistral técnica visual.
½ December 16, 2017
When I heard about this movie what I heard was this was to be a more realistic portrayal of what if aliens really did come down to earth. If that was the case I would have to disagree. If you wanted to see a more realistic portrayal of dealing with aliens and wanting to learn about them, then I'd recommend watching Arrival with Amy Adams.
November 15, 2017
Looking forward to this..
No good Sci Fi has been issued since Blade Runner 1982!
½ November 6, 2017
One of the best sci-fi movies of the 21st century, District 9 is a rare example of a found footage movie that works. The story is intelligent and thought-provoking, the visual effects are fantastic, the acting is great, the script is very well written, and Neill Blomkamp's direction is Oscar-worthy. The action is amazing as well, helping the film attract a wider audience. The ending is so perfect that I'm honestly torn as to whether or not I want a sequel.
October 20, 2017
This movie has a nice blend of alien action and moral support. This balances everything into a movie that will always be remembered.
October 11, 2017
Well Lee since you and every other movie reviewer are saying district 9 is a good movie. ill go see it.
October 10, 2017
Outstanding sci-fi film with stunning visuals and a great script and story!
October 2, 2017
Four stars hands down. Sharlto Copley as Wikus is hilarious lol! Now I must say, after seeing this movie I did speak to a lady in Maryland who told me she is from there and that depiction of that part of Africa being poor is not truthful.
½ September 18, 2017
This is a great imaginative sci-fi classic that has an interesting twist on racism. The plot revolves around a group of aliens being isolated in South Africa. While trying to maintain them, one of the workers get infected and he starts to mutate into one of the aliens. He soon becomes the most wanted man on the planet and he's forced to retreat into the area where the aliens are being held. I enjoyed the movie more and more as it went on. It has great acting from Wilkus Van De Merwe. The cinematography was excellent and it was expertly shot. It has a nice barren and rundown environment. The action sequences are highly interesting since we get to see fictional weapons being used. They make them more entertaining. They are played well and last long but not too long where they start to drag on. This movie definitely taken inspiration from 80's sci-fi movies. It has just the right elements which make a classic sci-fi movie. It is an interesting depiction of aliens and the future and its originality shines through. This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 2000's.
September 7, 2017
love this movie, it's amazing. the cinematography and the story - an absolute must see for all scifi fanatics.
August 30, 2017
Requiem for a Dream meets The Hurt Locker (with aliens) in this oscar-nominee sci-fi. Although alien invasion is not a new thing in the genre, District 9 feels totally fresh, featuring inventive use of camera, a very important message, and a heartbreaking story driven by dialogue instead of action. Unfortunately, the movie has a one-dimensional villain, and often uses "deus ex machina" to solve the conflicts. But the universe it creates is so inspired and plausible that you just can't help but be thrilled (and entertained) by this great thought provoking story.
August 24, 2017
District 9 is quite fantastic. It brings a spin to your quite ordinary alien invasion story with great stylisation and camera work. Its almost artistic but acts a great piece of sci-fi action too. District 9 tells its story in a believable way and is captivating. The unknown Sharlto Copley plays a brilliant role alongside imaginative and well designed aliens called prawns. This movie is intelligent, bold and unique. Its a film which you can watch and admire.
August 9, 2017
This was an amazing movie with an unexpected hero. Realistic (internally consistent and plausible) new take on aliens (of course it build on some other movies that were not as sophisticated - e.g. "Alien Nation").
July 27, 2017
A smart movie that feels original even years after it came and went through cinemas, doesn't shove it's strong message down our throats every two seconds, and still tells a beautiful yet violent story that will entertain and stick with you even after the credits roll. A masterpiece that everyone should see at some point in their lives.