District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

July 21, 2016
District 9 is an excellent film. It is about an extraterrestrial race forced to live in slum-like conditions on Earth. Sharito Copley and Jason Cope give amazing performances. The script is well written. Neill Blomklamp did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the action and thrills. District 9 is must see.
½ July 19, 2016
District 9 is considered by many to be the best recent occasion of having a sci-fi CLASSIC debuted. And it's something the genre and cinema as a whole hasn't endured in awhile since classics like Alien, Terminator, The Thing, The Fly, and many other films made by talented and pioneered filmmakers back in the day. Not only that, but it brought on South African Canadian director Neill Blomkamp into the Hollywood spotlight, though sadly suffered the 'M. Night Shyamalan Effect' (A occurrence to new or upcoming directors that start off on the right note, but get lost or dive away from what made their films enjoyable or interesting.) But anyways, after seeing this in cinemas and forgetting my initial thoughts on it i got a chance to re-watch it as of this writing. And how does it fair up after 7 years? It's pretty damn amazing. I'm lucky this film became the original sci-fi flick that it was rather than being a live-action video game adaptation to Halo that it was intended to be. Because if we had that, we wouldn't have something as gory, interesting, and original in a LONG time. While i did have issues with: often times nauseating but understandable shaky cam used in the action sequences, being too preachy on the spectrum of doing Alien Nations racism remarks on aliens in the film, and often cliche side or antagonistic characters, i can say these were issues that i picked up once i judged it after viewing. Meaning other than that, this film succeeds with FLYING colors everywhere else from: the gritty and grounded cinematography, nice homage to classic films like Aliens & Jon Carpenters The Fly, a cliche but effectively used racism message, a very atmospheric and well used soundtrack, superb acting from Shartlo Copley, the wonderfully used documentary style camerawork and framework that effectively paces the story, and of course it's interesting and very original approach to aliens visiting Earth that i think many people tend to overlook. So overall, go see this film if your big into innovative and original Sci-fi films. I had a blast re-watching this film and i can see why so many hold this as a classic for the ages.
July 19, 2016
This is a great imaginative sci-fi classic that has an interesting twist on racism. The plot revolves around a group of aliens being isolated in South Africa. While trying to maintain them, one of the workers get infected and he starts to mutate into one of the aliens. He soon becomes the most wanted man on the planet and he's forced to retreat into the area where the aliens are being held. I enjoyed the movie more and more as it went on. It has great acting from Wilkus Van De Merwe. The cinematography was excellent and it was expertly shot. It has a nice barren and rundown environment. The action sequences are highly interesting since we get to see fictional weapons being used. They make them more entertaining. They are played well and last long but not too long where they start to drag on. This movie definitely taken inspiration from 80's sci-fi movies. It has just the right elements which make a classic sci-fi movie. It is an interesting depiction of aliens and the future and its originality shines through. This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 2000's.
July 17, 2016
The greatest sci-fi movie of the 00's.
July 15, 2016
Besides the clichés, plot holes and incoherent use of the camera, any allusion to Apartheid seems dishonest, since it is hard to believe that anyone could be tolerant if an alien spacecraft arrived on Earth carrying over a million of those repellent giant lobsters uninvited.
July 13, 2016
Great movie! Might have to see this one again! This is not your feel good "ET" or "Close Encounters" type of alien movie. Quite a bit of action, I sort of lost myself and was stunned when it was over. No doubt there will be a sequel.
July 12, 2016
this is what a good movie is. this is one of my favorite film ever made. why did people watch transformers 2 instead of this? rating: A+
½ July 12, 2016
the movie has a very original plot and a very intriguing story for any one ready for action and science fiction. the characters and art design is a pleasure to view. but in some areas the movie falls short on its stereo typical dew char and scenes. recommended worth a purchase.
½ July 11, 2016
9.3/10
District 9 is an intense sci-fi drama that is both touching and extremely suspenseful. A very good movie that is lead by the powerful acting of Sharlto Copely and amazing visual effects. Neil Blomkamp's directorial debut is a great success.
½ July 8, 2016
Just when you thought Hollywood was losing ideas for sci-fi alien movies, along comes District 9 to blow those thoughts away. It's original, captivating, and has some very impressive visuals and action sequences.

Rating: A-
July 3, 2016
I wasn't a huge fan of the cinematography in this film at all, but I really enjoyed its concept and story. I tend to like original sci fi films more than series stuff, so I enjoyed that this strayed from the series fever. It's a pretty beautiful and moving film despite how gross and shaky it is.
½ June 27, 2016
Draws out plenty of interesting themes that go unexplored, favoring instead the survival storyline.
½ June 27, 2016
Blomkamp suceeds in crafting a powerful work with staggering commentary onto today's xenophobic society.
June 26, 2016
The debut film from Blomkamp, District 9 is about a stranded alien civilisation residing adjacent to Johannesburg as refugees where an executive for weaponry is exposed to a metamorphosing chemical as he tries to save the alien race. Filmed in a documentarian style, this is a refreshing Sci-Fi film that is so technically clever it will be deemed as a classic in later years, for sure. The problem for me was that I was not emotionally invested in any of the characters and the first act of the film dragged on for a very long time. Copley was good, but nothing outstanding. The segregation between humans and the "Prawns" is an obvious metaphor for diversity and whilst this drives the film, it perhaps forces this too much on the viewer. I can acknowledge that this is a very good film and can see why so many like it, it just didn't resonate with me as much.
June 25, 2016
Slick, tight, and fleshed out world that's totally immersive.
½ June 24, 2016
This is not an ordinary alien invade earth but defeated by earth force led by america blah blah blah movie. And it is better than most of them IMO. By the way, this movie gives us a new way to look at the alien themed movie.
June 22, 2016
A deep allegory that is too frenetic in pacing for me to fully enjoy.
June 22, 2016
Incredibly original idea by Blomkamp. Aliens come to Earth but their ship cannot leave. They are forced to live in slum-like conditions in Johannesburg, South Africa and are constantly monitored by the government. Very entertaining film as it shows Sharlto Copley's character get exposed to a substance that starts to change him in a way that the government wants to exploit. As I said before, this film is incredibly entertaining and original. Action sequences were well done and effects with the "Prawn" alien race were remarkable as far as how they interacted with the human characters/actors.
June 21, 2016
One of few movies i really got stressed watching. Amazing!
June 9, 2016
A really refreshing sci-fi film to watch. The plot and the way it was filmed were very original and served the movie just right. The most fascinating part has to be the transformation. As well, character portrayal of Christopher and his son definitely makes you more compassionate about the aliens just as Wikus and Christopher form a special relationship.