District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

January 21, 2017
I'd give it 6 stars if I could
½ January 21, 2017
It's not a new plot, but it takes that used plot and twists it, smashes it, and bends it into something wholly unique while reminding us of our capacity for cruelty through effective allegory.
½ January 16, 2017
Original and thrilling sci-fi. Great production value and unknown actors. Copley does a great job.
½ January 15, 2017
Disappointing blend of an excellent storyline, impressive special effects; poor plot execution and stupid dialog. Poorly executed with excessive chaotic destruction mitigated with incredible random good luck.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.1/10 - 4.4/5
December 28, 2016
Emotional dramatic alien movie.
December 24, 2016
Fanta-action built into a new racial context on the basis of the alien invasion, creating a new kind of war between aliens vs humans
December 9, 2016
Special effects and story is so creative. Nothing like it
November 12, 2016
like chronicle, this is a more realistic science fiction movie. for a low budget film, it's not bad and the CGI is except-able. this movie is also non-stop entertainment and when there's not an action sequence, it's still entertaining. the final act of the film is perfectly paced with use of a proper soundtrack. easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

Owens grade: A+
½ October 30, 2016
A steaming heap of crap. A boring mockumentary.
½ October 21, 2016
This movie was really.. odd. The first half was god awful, it was honestly a struggle to sit through. Everything was just so.. dumb! The plot was borderline nonsensical at times, everything was tied together WAY too conveniently, and items of interest that made no sense were blotted over. However, District 9 absolutely excels in the action and special effects departments, make no mistake. The action in the second half was borderline breathtaking at times, if not completely unrealistic and disjointed. Sci-Fi geeks out there will be plenty pleased with a great mix of sophisticated alien weaponry and technology, and the Cloverfield-esque way the film is shot really works quite well. But the out of the way and overblown shock value, overly loud and distracting sound effects, and that damn Michael Jackson vest on our lead alien just prevented some clearly visionary action scenes from being perfect.
October 21, 2016
A very interesting interpretation on humanity and the potential consequences behind their actions. District 9 is very original and gives a dose of creativity in the form of excellent screenplay. Although the plot's execution tended to jump around a little throughout, the film had a very intriguing feel to it.
October 18, 2016
They should make another, the"3yrs" later.
October 9, 2016
Best sci-fi of the of 2000s so far (going 2016). Deep message, great action and best military-scifi toys since the aliens.
½ October 3, 2016
An ok movie with nothing special about it, I liked the film's approach & I also liked the main character & overall I enjoyed watching the whole thing but it totally sinks into dumb & sappy cliches near the end, Three stars generously
September 29, 2016
District 9 is a gritty, groundbreaking sci-fi thriller that highlights the sheer brilliance of Peter Jackson and Neil Blomkamp. From the stunning visuals to its emotionally gripping tale, the film keeps you on edge and provokes the graphic nature of survival. 5/5
½ September 17, 2016
District 9 surprised the crap out of me. I actually felt for the aliens.
September 9, 2016
very very well done. though the stigma wore off after seeing it a second time.
½ September 2, 2016
Excellent film.
Not an entirely original plot idea (Alien Nation springs to mind) but certainly more original than most sci-fi. Innovative filming style. Very realistic on the whole. Funny in places but never cheesy.
The visual style of the film seems to be very much inspired by Half-Life 2, which is interesting, because that usually happens the other way round, with films influencing computer games.

Overall I'd thoroughly recommend District 9.
August 31, 2016
'District 9' is a truly depressing movie. It's so grim, so bleak, and so full of hopelessness that it's sometimes hard to watch. It supports an original premise, sort of, even if it does borrow from other films. I suppose my main issues with the movie are the characters and the unanswered questions. I didn't care about anyone in the movie, including the main character who we're meant to root for, despite the fact we saw him be a total arsehole about 10 minutes prior and also the fact that up until the last 10 minutes, he's in it for himself and himself only. Add that to unanswered conveniences that the movie just expects us to ignore (how do the aliens know how to speak our language, and vice versa? Why did the aliens come here? The list goes on). I'm torn on it, but feel that despite some good moments, the movie ultimately falls short. That being said, I know the movie gets a lot of love, so go check it out for yourselves and form your own opinion.