District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

June 4, 2018
A very gorgeous looking movie. Come to think of it the budget for this movie was about 30 million dollars. Everything about this movie is perfect, a heartbreaking performance from Sharlto Copley, fine direction from Mr. Blomkamp, gorgeous cinematography, fine action. A good jab at the Apartheid. A movie that deserves so much more recognition, 10/10.
May 28, 2018
A revolutionary and groundbreaking piece of work. I think it'll go down as one of the best sci-fi movies of the 21th century. It's emotionally touching and reflects on the South African segregation, as well as racism, intolerance, as well as having a little touch of nihilism. The half found-footage, half normal film mix is innovating, but the best part of the flick are the special effects, they're absolutely amazing, it must've taken a lot of work to do. And it paid off because it's an impressive gem, it feels slow in the beginning, but is fun once you get going. A classic sci-fi flick and recommended !!
May 28, 2018
Great film, just got better and better as the events unfolded. Will definitely watch again. Highly recommended.
½ May 26, 2018
I liked this movie a lot back in the day, but I feel like it's pretty overrated now. I thought many of the action scenes were great, especially in the 2nd half as the movie remained intense throughout its entirety with little time for resting. I also thought the father and son alien was a creative aspect which effected me a surprisingly great deal. I've also seen many people say they want a sequel, and even though I don't care for this movie, I understand that argument as this film's ending is a powerful cliffhanger. However, I also felt like the racial/slum themes were really obvious. Racism is a hard concept to represent without it being obvious, and this film was no exception. In addition to this, I found it unrealistic that the government would let the aliens roam around in a confined area, and not even try to research them or understand where they came from. It felt odd that humans wouldn't even try to understand much of anything about them. In addition to this, it bugs me when I hear people call this film original. Its plot is nothing new as it's been done to death in movies such as "Ferngully", "Dances With Wolves", "Pocahantas", "The Last Samurai", and "Avatar". Relevant to that last example, many people criticized Cameron's "Avatar" for having a plot which has been done to death, and "District 9" was done in the same year, so the fact that this movie gets a free pass is a complete mystery to me. I don't think this is a bad movie, but certainly not one I'd recommend.
½ May 19, 2018
hOW THIS FILM IS RATED SO HIGHLY IS BEYOND MY IMAGINATION. iT WAS ONE OF THE WORST FILMS i'VE EVER SEEN, AND I LOVE SCI-FI! BIG SPLAT FROM ME! i WISH i COULD GIVE IT A ZERO STAR RATING.
May 19, 2018
Was the last ''epic'' action scene really necessary?
½ May 13, 2018
Unbelievably stupid movie. All allegory, no clue.
April 22, 2018
I'd say that this movie is more realistic because it's sometimes a documentary.
There are some cool action scenes at the last 40 minutes and the special effects and cgi are well made. The acting and the dialogue are also good and doesn't let the movie down
½ April 19, 2018
about illegal aliens living peacefully as refugees in south africa. this south african, peter-jackson-produced film actually has a real, hollywood-like plot despite being a mockumentary. the plot is fast-paced and simple: an alien-controlling field-operative is infected with alien liquid while doing his job. he is slowly turning into an alien himself and is forced to become fugitive as his corrupt company tried to capture and experiment him. the first hour is incredibly dumb - there are too many plotholes to count and many things that, realistically, do not make sense even in sci-fi standards. the dialogue is consistently amateur stuff and corny. the acting is nothing special and the aliens look fake.
now for the postive: the second-half picks up and improves by a mile, when it's clear there will be a real story and not just a boring, wannabe realistic b-movie.
shoving the one-note, unintelligent characters aside (with the exception of a 'kid alien' who plays a fairly important part), it's entertaining for the most part, whether it's laughing at the silliness of the whole film or the climactic last act. dumb, but watchable.
April 9, 2018
The anger this movie makes you feel sticks with you. I believe it is exactly what humans would do to another species: mistreat them and look to steal their technology. So much so that you root against the military state and for the aliens.

The final scenes are gut wrenching and brilliant. From the line "don't make me come all this way and not make it", the array of weapons unleashed by the suit, to the sounds the engines of the mother shop make when they fire, to rooting for the pod to make it into the dock, it was raw emotion.

While franchises like Marvel have their place and certainly make a lot of money, they feel polished and cookie cutter compared to something like this. Most of the time Hollywood just markets the same thing and sells that formula right back to you over and over (think the die in your arms scene), the kiss scene, the hero returns from the dead storyline. Not this movie. Things go wrong, aliens and humans get hurt, there are lies, on top of a the technology the alien race brings that is not so far fetched to believe. One of a kind movie. An all-timer.
March 2, 2018
Love the story line and concept. Still waiting for District 9 sequel after all these years. One of my favorite movies.
February 20, 2018
Went into this not knowing much about the plot or expecting something truly amazing. Themes are presented well and the plot reflects the general society of today. A TRUE MASTER PIECE.
½ February 17, 2018
REALLY INTERESTING SCI FI WITH WONDERFUL CREATURES AND SPECIAL EFFECTS ON FAIRLY LOW BUDGET. VERY WELL DONE!
February 13, 2018
a master piece. a story of metamorphosis and oppression
February 8, 2018
A truly bad movie. The raw mockumentary style did not work at all. Extremely boring and unpleasant. (First and only viewing - 1/25/2018)
February 3, 2018
Ok, one time watch sci-fi world.
February 3, 2018
i wanna see that too
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Neill Blockam usa una manera muy perspicaz e inteligente para criticar las relaciones entre las distintas clases sociales, internacionales e incluso la experimentación biólogica ilegala traves de la ciencia ficción y una magistral técnica visual.
½ December 16, 2017
When I heard about this movie what I heard was this was to be a more realistic portrayal of what if aliens really did come down to earth. If that was the case I would have to disagree. If you wanted to see a more realistic portrayal of dealing with aliens and wanting to learn about them, then I'd recommend watching Arrival with Amy Adams.
November 15, 2017
Looking forward to this..
No good Sci Fi has been issued since Blade Runner 1982!