District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

½ April 19, 2018
about illegal aliens living peacefully as refugees in south africa. this south african, peter-jackson-produced film actually has a real, hollywood-like plot despite being a mockumentary. the plot is fast-paced and simple: an alien-controlling field-operative is infected with alien liquid while doing his job. he is slowly turning into an alien himself and is forced to become fugitive as his corrupt company tried to capture and experiment him. the first hour is incredibly dumb - there are too many plotholes to count and many things that, realistically, do not make sense even in sci-fi standards. the dialogue is consistently amateur stuff and corny. the acting is nothing special and the aliens look fake.
now for the postive: the second-half picks up and improves by a mile, when it's clear there will be a real story and not just a boring, wannabe realistic b-movie.
shoving the one-note, unintelligent characters aside (with the exception of a 'kid alien' who plays a fairly important part), it's entertaining for the most part, whether it's laughing at the silliness of the whole film or the climactic last act. dumb, but watchable.
April 9, 2018
The anger this movie makes you feel sticks with you. I believe it is exactly what humans would do to another species: mistreat them and look to steal their technology. So much so that you root against the military state and for the aliens.

The final scenes are gut wrenching and brilliant. From the line "don't make me come all this way and not make it", the array of weapons unleashed by the suit, to the sounds the engines of the mother shop make when they fire, to rooting for the pod to make it into the dock, it was raw emotion.

While franchises like Marvel have their place and certainly make a lot of money, they feel polished and cookie cutter compared to something like this. Most of the time Hollywood just markets the same thing and sells that formula right back to you over and over (think the die in your arms scene), the kiss scene, the hero returns from the dead storyline. Not this movie. Things go wrong, aliens and humans get hurt, there are lies, on top of a the technology the alien race brings that is not so far fetched to believe. One of a kind movie. An all-timer.
March 2, 2018
Love the story line and concept. Still waiting for District 9 sequel after all these years. One of my favorite movies.
February 20, 2018
Went into this not knowing much about the plot or expecting something truly amazing. Themes are presented well and the plot reflects the general society of today. A TRUE MASTER PIECE.
½ February 17, 2018
REALLY INTERESTING SCI FI WITH WONDERFUL CREATURES AND SPECIAL EFFECTS ON FAIRLY LOW BUDGET. VERY WELL DONE!
February 13, 2018
a master piece. a story of metamorphosis and oppression
February 8, 2018
A truly bad movie. The raw mockumentary style did not work at all. Extremely boring and unpleasant. (First and only viewing - 1/25/2018)
February 3, 2018
Ok, one time watch sci-fi world.
February 3, 2018
i wanna see that too
½ December 19, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Neill Blockam usa una manera muy perspicaz e inteligente para criticar las relaciones entre las distintas clases sociales, internacionales e incluso la experimentación biólogica ilegala traves de la ciencia ficción y una magistral técnica visual.
½ December 16, 2017
When I heard about this movie what I heard was this was to be a more realistic portrayal of what if aliens really did come down to earth. If that was the case I would have to disagree. If you wanted to see a more realistic portrayal of dealing with aliens and wanting to learn about them, then I'd recommend watching Arrival with Amy Adams.
November 15, 2017
Looking forward to this..
No good Sci Fi has been issued since Blade Runner 1982!
½ November 6, 2017
One of the best sci-fi movies of the 21st century, District 9 is a rare example of a found footage movie that works. The story is intelligent and thought-provoking, the visual effects are fantastic, the acting is great, the script is very well written, and Neill Blomkamp's direction is Oscar-worthy. The action is amazing as well, helping the film attract a wider audience. The ending is so perfect that I'm honestly torn as to whether or not I want a sequel.
October 20, 2017
This movie has a nice blend of alien action and moral support. This balances everything into a movie that will always be remembered.
October 11, 2017
Well Lee since you and every other movie reviewer are saying district 9 is a good movie. ill go see it.
October 10, 2017
Outstanding sci-fi film with stunning visuals and a great script and story!
October 2, 2017
Four stars hands down. Sharlto Copley as Wikus is hilarious lol! Now I must say, after seeing this movie I did speak to a lady in Maryland who told me she is from there and that depiction of that part of Africa being poor is not truthful.
½ September 18, 2017
This is a great imaginative sci-fi classic that has an interesting twist on racism. The plot revolves around a group of aliens being isolated in South Africa. While trying to maintain them, one of the workers get infected and he starts to mutate into one of the aliens. He soon becomes the most wanted man on the planet and he's forced to retreat into the area where the aliens are being held. I enjoyed the movie more and more as it went on. It has great acting from Wilkus Van De Merwe. The cinematography was excellent and it was expertly shot. It has a nice barren and rundown environment. The action sequences are highly interesting since we get to see fictional weapons being used. They make them more entertaining. They are played well and last long but not too long where they start to drag on. This movie definitely taken inspiration from 80's sci-fi movies. It has just the right elements which make a classic sci-fi movie. It is an interesting depiction of aliens and the future and its originality shines through. This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 2000's.
September 7, 2017
love this movie, it's amazing. the cinematography and the story - an absolute must see for all scifi fanatics.
August 30, 2017
Requiem for a Dream meets The Hurt Locker (with aliens) in this oscar-nominee sci-fi. Although alien invasion is not a new thing in the genre, District 9 feels totally fresh, featuring inventive use of camera, a very important message, and a heartbreaking story driven by dialogue instead of action. Unfortunately, the movie has a one-dimensional villain, and often uses "deus ex machina" to solve the conflicts. But the universe it creates is so inspired and plausible that you just can't help but be thrilled (and entertained) by this great thought provoking story.