District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

August 9, 2017
This was an amazing movie with an unexpected hero. Realistic (internally consistent and plausible) new take on aliens (of course it build on some other movies that were not as sophisticated - e.g. "Alien Nation").
July 27, 2017
A smart movie that feels original even years after it came and went through cinemas, doesn't shove it's strong message down our throats every two seconds, and still tells a beautiful yet violent story that will entertain and stick with you even after the credits roll. A masterpiece that everyone should see at some point in their lives.
½ July 23, 2017
A fresh and unique science fiction film filled with social and political commentary. The premise is excellent and the execution is very hit and miss however. The main character has a nice arc and the aliens we meet are compelling to watch and feel real. Where the film stumbles is portraying its themes. They feel very in your face at times and lack any subtley. The film makes up for this with sheer style and originality though. It's so interesting to watch and the visuals and production design are top notch. Although the tone and themes are jumbled, District 9 is a must watch for sci-fi enthusiasts.
July 20, 2017
Good action drama Alien Peter Jackson movie starring aliens and some random white guy who turns into an alien. I thought I would hate this movie but I actually didn't , I love the cgi in this movie and how that this movie was made like a documentary, it made it a whole lot interesting. Can't wait for the sequel with Matt Damon.
½ July 16, 2017
Fires along at a quick pace and has some amazing action. Really authentic and well made. Could do without Wikus in a mechanical suit but it's fine. Dialogue at the end seems to open it up for a sequel.
½ July 14, 2017
This gritty, brutal sci-fi flick offers a different take on alien contact, and is probably more realistic than most given how terrible humans are to animals and each other.
½ July 1, 2017
Excellent film. Seems a bit weird at first but it drags you in as the plot changes. Thoroughly enjoyable.
½ June 25, 2017
A-
District 9 is an intense sci-fi drama that is both touching and extremely suspenseful. A very good movie that is lead by the powerful acting of Sharlto Copely and amazing visual effects. Neil Blomkamp's directorial debut is a great success.
½ June 25, 2017
5.0/10
good idea but got boring
½ June 15, 2017
Funny, clever, Sharlto Copley is fantastic. A classic that does not shy away from delivering a very contemporary message that has only become more relevant over the years.
June 9, 2017
A nice made movie. Peter Jackson didn't dissapoint me.
½ May 31, 2017
A bit of an assault on the ears (in the form of over 130 f-bombs), District 9 has a strong performance and premise. It's too bad it's so crass, otherwise this may have been a top-notch film.
May 31, 2017
District 9 is able to handle both a political topic and Science Fiction action through it's documentary way of racism to aliens as real as today's issues
½ May 24, 2017
A more mature and overall better version of Avatar. This movie has the goriness and realistic feel to it that makes it captivating to watch. Add in great acting and characters that you are invested in, and this is a spectacular film.
½ May 22, 2017
I hated it. Not remotely what I was expecting in the least from the trailer. Sharlto Copley who helped kill this movie for me was impossible to understand for 90% of the film with his accent that I thought he wasn't actually talking rather just making silly noises. He is impossible to understand and not just in this movie either. I had to either play things over to get what he said until I got fed up and just kept the subtitles on. The story was terrible, a glorified mess where this bungling moron was the star and made the most obvious mistakes that would even have children questioning his stupidity.
½ May 10, 2017
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Neill Blockam usa una manera muy perspicaz e inteligente para criticar las relaciones entre las distintas clases sociales, internacionales e incluso la experimentación biólogica ilegala traves de la ciencia ficción y una magistral técnica visual.
½ May 7, 2017
This movie was an absolute piece of trash. I have never left a review on this site before but this movie was so ridiculously horrible, it compelled me to write a scathing review of this nasty worthless piece of crap film that should only be used for film school students to dissect what a horrible film is composed of.

The camera work was shoddy.
The actors were horrible.
The plot was lame.
There were countless holes in the plot.
It was one of those movies where you feel like you have to watch the end because you cannot possible believe that it is this bad, and that it has to get just a little bit better at the end but it doesn't. Don't waste your time.

I'm am totally shocked that this movie has 82% of the people liking it. I normally go off of audience score but I'm flabbergasted as to how even 10% of anything that would resemble a human could like this film. And that's the kindest way I could put it.

What a waste of time.
May 6, 2017
Wow! One of a kind! Bring on 10
½ May 3, 2017
It was pretty good. I wish there was more effort into the screenplay, though.
April 4, 2017
This is a great imaginative sci-fi classic that has an interesting twist on racism. The plot revolves around a group of aliens being isolated in South Africa. While trying to maintain them, one of the workers get infected and he starts to mutate into one of the aliens. He soon becomes the most wanted man on the planet and he's forced to retreat into the area where the aliens are being held. I enjoyed the movie more and more as it went on. It has great acting from Wilkus Van De Merwe. The cinematography was excellent and it was expertly shot. It has a nice barren and rundown environment. The action sequences are highly interesting since we get to see fictional weapons being used. They make them more entertaining. They are played well and last long but not too long where they start to drag on. This movie definitely taken inspiration from 80's sci-fi movies. It has just the right elements which make a classic sci-fi movie. It is an interesting depiction of aliens and the future and its originality shines through. This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 2000's.