District 9 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

District 9 Reviews

April 4, 2017
This is a great imaginative sci-fi classic that has an interesting twist on racism. The plot revolves around a group of aliens being isolated in South Africa. While trying to maintain them, one of the workers get infected and he starts to mutate into one of the aliens. He soon becomes the most wanted man on the planet and he's forced to retreat into the area where the aliens are being held. I enjoyed the movie more and more as it went on. It has great acting from Wilkus Van De Merwe. The cinematography was excellent and it was expertly shot. It has a nice barren and rundown environment. The action sequences are highly interesting since we get to see fictional weapons being used. They make them more entertaining. They are played well and last long but not too long where they start to drag on. This movie definitely taken inspiration from 80's sci-fi movies. It has just the right elements which make a classic sci-fi movie. It is an interesting depiction of aliens and the future and its originality shines through. This is one of the best sci-fi movies of the 2000's.
March 28, 2017
amazing movie. just amazing
March 5, 2017
Incredible movie...on a small budget...
½ March 4, 2017
one of the best start to finish movies I've seen in quite some time!
February 22, 2017
District 9 is about a man who goes from power to the bottom of the barrel, stuck with those who he had treated so poorly, the Prawns. Prawns is the nickname humans had made for these aliens that came down to Earth seeking refuge from their dying planet, but were only treated to such as concentration camps and left to feed of the rubbish and slums of the upper class, until one day when they fight back. This movie is also a great representation of human respect and how the blacks were treated before equal rights came in. It shows so well what power does to humans and affect show they treat others. Now to the review. At first, I had no interest in seeing this movie. I watched the trailer and saw that it was in document style filming. I hadn't seen this movie till early 2017. To be honest, I probably never would've watched it if it wasn't a class project. I regret that decision so much. I absolutely loved the style and technique of this film, and how Neil Blomkamp (Director) filmed this movie. This movie had such great emotion to it, it showed trust, betrayal, love, loyalty, and what it's like to be treated as scum of the Earth. I only really have a few nitpicks about this movie, but it's just my preferences. I found the shaky cam to get annoying sometimes and you also can't see what's fully going on a bit of the time because it is also so dark. All an all great movie that deserved all the amazing ratings it got.
February 21, 2017
Grade - C
'District 9' is a truly depressing movie. It's so grim, so bleak, and so full of hopelessness that it's sometimes hard to watch. It supports an original premise, sort of, even if it does borrow from other films. I suppose my main issues with the movie are the characters and the unanswered questions. I didn't care about anyone in the movie, including the main character who we're meant to root for, despite the fact we saw him be a total arsehole about 10 minutes prior and also the fact that up until the last 10 minutes, he's in it for himself and himself only. Add that to unanswered conveniences that the movie just expects us to ignore (how do the aliens know how to speak our language, and vice versa? Why did the aliens come here? The list goes on). I'm torn on it, but feel that despite some good moments, the movie ultimately falls short. That being said, I know the movie gets a lot of love, so go check it out for yourselves and form your own opinion.
½ February 13, 2017
i love this movie , remind me of -what i consider- of the Science-fiction's golden-age
February 4, 2017
Neill Blomkamp writes and directs District 9. Aliens have arrived on Earth in the area of Johannesburg, South Africa. After a few months, humans invade their mother ship to find all the aliens on the ship are sick and mal nourished. The Aliens are extracted and placed in a concentration ship like area known as District 9. It is not long before the area the slums, due to criminal activity and violence surrounding the interest in the aliens. The aliens are victims of interspecies sex, abuse, fraud, and cruelty.

After quite a few protests from the government they decide to forcefully evict the aliens from this area. Wikus Van De Merwe (Sharlto Copley) leads the effort to get the aliens to migrate. Many of the aliens are confused, others are hostile, and there are causalities on both sides. Wikus at one point gets mistakenly exposed to a black fluid which makes him quite sick. He tries to fight it off, but gets more and more ill. After hours of exposure he starts turning into one of the aliens. Instantly the government tries to control him as a weapon without any regard for his health as he is now able to harness and use the alien technology since half of his arm is now alien. Wikus escapes and becomes a wanted fugitive. His only hope is another alien who knew of the black liquid, help them escape and get him turned back into human.

What makes District 9 most interesting is the format it is presented. The movie is filmed almost in a reality TV/documentary like fashion. This makes the entire film feel almost like it is breaking news of an actual event. The film also does an amazing job reflecting on some of human's poorest qualities as they abuse, mistreat, and kill the aliens for no reason. You soon to begin to feel sorry for the aliens and by slowly shifting and making humanity the enemy, you then root for the hybrid Wikus to escape and allow the new aliens to evacuate. District 9 is an original and highly engaging science fiction film that breaks the mold and separates itself from many features that feature aliens.

-2.4.2017
½ January 27, 2017
When I heard about this movie what I heard was this was to be a more realistic portrayal of what if aliens really did come down to earth. If that was the case I would have to disagree. If you wanted to see a more realistic portrayal of dealing with aliens and wanting to learn about them, then I'd recommend watching Arrival with Amy Adams.
January 24, 2017
District 9 is one the best Alien film with a excellent story. It offers mind blowing visuals, excellent script, its story was thoroughly and imaginative. The performace were superb, the conclusion was satisfying, it was memorable, and very entertaining. Must watch.
January 21, 2017
I'd give it 6 stars if I could
½ January 21, 2017
It's not a new plot, but it takes that used plot and twists it, smashes it, and bends it into something wholly unique while reminding us of our capacity for cruelty through effective allegory.
½ January 16, 2017
Original and thrilling sci-fi. Great production value and unknown actors. Copley does a great job.
½ January 15, 2017
Disappointing blend of an excellent storyline, impressive special effects; poor plot execution and stupid dialog. Poorly executed with excessive chaotic destruction mitigated with incredible random good luck.
½ January 11, 2017
Nota: 9.1/10 - 4.4/5
December 28, 2016
Emotional dramatic alien movie.
December 24, 2016
Fanta-action built into a new racial context on the basis of the alien invasion, creating a new kind of war between aliens vs humans
December 9, 2016
Special effects and story is so creative. Nothing like it
November 12, 2016
like chronicle, this is a more realistic science fiction movie. for a low budget film, it's not bad and the CGI is except-able. this movie is also non-stop entertainment and when there's not an action sequence, it's still entertaining. the final act of the film is perfectly paced with use of a proper soundtrack. easily one of my favorite movies of all time.

Owens grade: A+
½ October 30, 2016
A steaming heap of crap. A boring mockumentary.