Dragonheart - A New Beginning Reviews

• Jul 08, 2017

Not as compelling as the first and lacking the CGI substance, along with the pacing being slightly off, the sequel is not as good as the first, but decent.

• Jul 06, 2017

Okay kids fare about a stable boy who befriends a young dragon. The dragon is voiced by Robby Benson, who's certainly no Sean Connery, who did the voice of the dragon in the original film which I've never actually seen, although Benson did do the voice Beast in Disney's animated version of "Beauty and the Beast" so maybe he does have a bit of cred. This film is not a big budget film by any measure, but it's not exactly a cheap low budget production either. Outside of Benson, there are no real name actors, but the special effects are all good and the writing and direction are also competently done, which is more than I was expecting from a De Laurentiis production. I think what was most strange about this film is who exactly was the target audience? It's PG-13 for a fair amount o violence, so it's not exactly a kids movie, but I'm not exactly sure that teens or even pre-teens would be all that interested in a corny tale of a boy and his dragon. Oh well, it kind of works and is passable enough of entertainment.

• Nov 14, 2016

This wasn't necessary, since the first one is decent.

This wasn't necessary, since the first one is decent.

• Mar 31, 2015

I liked the first movie and I love dragons but this is a pretty miserable film. It's even cheesier than the first film, has a much worse cast, and somehow the special effects look a million times worse than the 1996 film. Watch the original film but skip this one!

• Jun 27, 2014

Such a huge disappointment when I loved the first one so much.

Such a huge disappointment when I loved the first one so much.

• Feb 04, 2014

Nothing at all like the original. This movie is bad from start to finish.

Nothing at all like the original. This movie is bad from start to finish.

• Jan 05, 2014

161103: Yes, we always hold out hope but A New Beginning (2000) is what we expect from a sequel. Not quite to the same level as Dragonheart (1999) but not a waste of time either. Because of his hard to determine nature, Lord Osric (Harry Van Gorkum) is the hidden gem in this film. Moving on and not likely coming back.

• Sep 18, 2013

A little lame compared to the first one.

A little lame compared to the first one.

• Jun 10, 2013

silly, funny, cheesy, DRAGONS!! i will admit that this is a truly awful film with poor acting and scripting to boot, but i still like it. as one of my childhood favorite films as a kid it will always have a very nostalgic place in my heart... Fire fart *Tee hee* XD

• Mar 15, 2013

Poor effects, ridiculously poor fighting scenes and a fairly lame script. At best suitable as a children's movie. Apart from the basic idea about the dragon and its heart this movie has nothing really with the original to do.