End of Watch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

End of Watch Reviews

½ May 10, 2017
"End of Watch" is a well-made cop movie that is very grounded in reality. I respect this movie for not shying away from things that are hard to watch and brutally real. I felt the lead performances were great and the chemistry was genuine. I did feel the found footage elements the movie were a bit unnecessary and the story could have been told just as effectively without them. Nonetheless, this is a good movie that feels authentic and ultimately does pack a pretty emotional punch.
½ April 30, 2017
'End of Watch' is a brilliantly executed cop drama that is as enticing as it is unrelenting. A quick pace makes the film kinetic and never loses your attention. The real props however, go to the two leads in Gyllenhaal and Pena, who establish wonderful character development along the chaotic ride. Their banter and build up bring us to an unflinching climax that shows no remorse. In fact, nothing about the film is remorseful. This is pure, unadulterated chaos, shoveled into one to make one of the best cop films you'll see in recent years.
April 14, 2017
6/10 A bit over-the-top sugar-coated propaganda film about the good that there is in every cop... hmm... It is engaging though albeit too naive.
April 10, 2017
I Only Like Graphic Violence, Swearing, Sex And Nudity Only Just Only In R-Rated Films.
March 17, 2017
I made an account just to rate this 5 stars. This movie was funny,thrilling, and emotional all at the same time i loved it. one of the best god damn movies ive ever seen.
½ March 17, 2017
The buddy cop dramedy revisited and made relatable by the spot on performances on it's lead players. The plot setup is somewhat far fetched but its nada but a thrill rise after all. And while not Hope and Crosby, the banter often is not too far from them either.
March 3, 2017
Enjoyed the chemistry between Jake Gyllenhaal and Michael Peña. The one character that I felt was not quite authentic was the chola. Really enjoyed this movie. Michael Peña did a good job in a role that was way different than I've seen him do before.
½ February 7, 2017
If you can get past the constant swearing and shaky cam this isn't a bad film, but not really a good one either in my opinion. It is quite predictable and doesn't really show either the Police or the people they are catching in a good light. If real life is like this in the US I'm very glad I don't live there.
January 24, 2017
A well acted, brutal film emphasising the friendship of fellow policemen. The filming style is questionable with a handheld feel though why there would be a character with a camera in some instances is questionable. It's best not to get bogged down in that (such as why a member of a gang seems to be recording their illegal activity) and enjoy the film for what it is.
½ January 7, 2017
I may be biased because I'm a cop, but this is one movie I can watch over and over again. The plot is a basic, yet incredibly twisted one. Seeing as there is an actual war on cops these days, this movie was ahead of its time. In terms of being authentic; from an actual police officers point of view, it is just that. There are some parts (apartment fight between civilian and cop), that don't quite pinpoint the realism of police work. However, the interactions between Zavala and Taylor felt very real and the camaraderie was all on point. The story is excellent, the realism is there. The only real gripe I have is that the "bad guys" could have used a better backstory.
January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 30, 2016
Im quite a fussy movie goer & I don't like many. But this movie is one of the best I've seen and is the only that has ever brought a tear to my eye.
December 3, 2016
AMAZING!!!!! I have seen it over 20 times, and it never gets old. One of those all time favorites for sure!!
October 28, 2016
An excellent cop film that shows what the warriors in blue go through each day. Props to David Ayer for showing us what it means to be a cop in the real world.
October 28, 2016
Really good film about a couple L.A. cops and the various things that they have to deal with in the course of duty. Certainly not your usual cop drama.
October 15, 2016
1/2*
What a piece of absolute horse shit. What an abysmal, offensive, grotesque piece of crap, that, to add insult to injury, is filmed in the worst way possible - found footage. That half star is for Gyllenhaal. The rest of this movie can go fuck itself.
½ October 12, 2016
I've already heard that this movie is surprisingly pretty good.
September 15, 2016
The hand-held video style is initially annoying, but as the subject matter is interesting it get less so as the movie progresses.
½ September 11, 2016
Solid, well paced and emotional.
September 9, 2016
An excellent addition to the found footage genre, that perfectly contrasts the highs and the morbid lows of the lives of two LA cops. What could have very easily turned into another Buddy cop film manages to maintain the audiences investment throughout, due to great performances from the leads and support cast alike.