End of Watch - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

End of Watch Reviews

½ January 7, 2017
I may be biased because I'm a cop, but this is one movie I can watch over and over again. The plot is a basic, yet incredibly twisted one. Seeing as there is an actual war on cops these days, this movie was ahead of its time. In terms of being authentic; from an actual police officers point of view, it is just that. There are some parts (apartment fight between civilian and cop), that don't quite pinpoint the realism of police work. However, the interactions between Zavala and Taylor felt very real and the camaraderie was all on point. The story is excellent, the realism is there. The only real gripe I have is that the "bad guys" could have used a better backstory.
January 5, 2017
It's good movie to watch
December 30, 2016
Im quite a fussy movie goer & I don't like many. But this movie is one of the best I've seen and is the only that has ever brought a tear to my eye.
December 3, 2016
AMAZING!!!!! I have seen it over 20 times, and it never gets old. One of those all time favorites for sure!!
October 28, 2016
An excellent cop film that shows what the warriors in blue go through each day. Props to David Ayer for showing us what it means to be a cop in the real world.
October 28, 2016
Really good film about a couple L.A. cops and the various things that they have to deal with in the course of duty. Certainly not your usual cop drama.
October 15, 2016
1/2*
What a piece of absolute horse shit. What an abysmal, offensive, grotesque piece of crap, that, to add insult to injury, is filmed in the worst way possible - found footage. That half star is for Gyllenhaal. The rest of this movie can go fuck itself.
½ October 12, 2016
I've already heard that this movie is surprisingly pretty good.
September 15, 2016
The hand-held video style is initially annoying, but as the subject matter is interesting it get less so as the movie progresses.
½ September 11, 2016
Solid, well paced and emotional.
September 9, 2016
An excellent addition to the found footage genre, that perfectly contrasts the highs and the morbid lows of the lives of two LA cops. What could have very easily turned into another Buddy cop film manages to maintain the audiences investment throughout, due to great performances from the leads and support cast alike.
September 6, 2016
One of the best movies I've seen in a while, throughout the movie you start to care for the main characters the acting was just that good. It was a mixture of comedy action, and honestly the ending was just too sad. But it gets a solid 5 stars from me
½ September 2, 2016
Better than most we've seen worse movies
½ August 15, 2016
Another found footage movie? Ugh!!

End of Watch is a great crime thriller starring Jake Gyllenhaal and Micheal Peña. Both put on fantastic performances as two buddy cops in an unnamed city that sort of is what like Dallas, Texas is what I imagined if it had a lot more gangbangers. Some 'found footage' technique is used here, but there also is some work done with an auctual film crew. The movie is great, it got me hooked on I the two relatable and well developed characters and the ending was just simply incredible. There is a lot of disturbing imagery and the film gets very dark and gritty the more you watch it. I really was shocked at some of the scenarios the two main characters were placed in.Please watch it if you have the chance
½ August 13, 2016
Pretty good. Keeps you interested.
August 2, 2016
An enjoyable false documentary with great acting.
jamrcla
½ July 31, 2016
What seemed like it's going to be another American cop film fighting drug crime blah blah blah, But it's far from that it has no real story just the everyday life of two street cops, But their on screen chemistry was fantastic they really worked off each other well, Brilliant acting, Some very gruesome scenes at times, Little in action but when there was it was gripping, A great emotional ending as we start to care for them, That's how good the performances were, One of if not the best cop film around.
½ July 30, 2016
We follow the lives of Brian Taylor and Miguel Zavala, two members of the LAPD, as they accomplish their job of protect and serve.

Everyone has an actor that has makes you excites you for a film or makes you watch a film that you have no interest, and one of those actors for me is Jake Gyllenhaal, so I watched this film when it came out but now with "Suicide Squad" approaching I wanted to see David Ayer´s directorial style so I rewatched this 2012 film and I have to say it wasn't as bad as I remembered. "End of Watch" has two solid and charismatic performances by Gyllenhaal and Peña, the pacing is more than solid it is consistent, the two main characters have believable chemistry, the comedy is actually funny or at the very least charming, and its action sequences are more than exciting thanks to its mashup directing style (this is found footage mixed with documentary and standard), particularly the ending. But regardless this film has many problems. The acting of the supporting cast is just awful (it feels like they waste their budget on getting Peña, Gyllenhaal and Kendrick so they only managed to get cheap actors for the rest of the cast), it has tonal issues as you can literally go from our two lead laughing and hanging out to LA violence, the story comes off as rushed as many of its scenes don't feel intertwined and the editing doesn't help either (while I respect the fact that Ayer tried to go the opposite direction of the corrupt cops from "Training Day", this script is just poorly written and more than predictable), and its directing style comes off as obnoxious very often. Granted it works in the action sequences when there is shaky cam or you cut from a handheld shot to an average shot scene (where the camera is placed correctly) it disorients you.

"End of Watch" is an interesting failure that while I give full props for trying to tell a grounded story of the LAPD in the most realistic way possible, it still has a rushed story and its directing style doesn't completely work and will take you out of the film in more than one occasion. Nice try Ayer but not nice enough as other than the two leads and the found footage like style there isn't much to say about this film.
½ July 24, 2016
Thrilling, intense and incredibly funny, with fantastic chemistry between the two lead actors: Gyllenhaal and Peña, "End of Watch" is a great action time.
July 21, 2016
A really cool action packed film