Ernest Saves Christmas Reviews

• Jul 11, 2020

The typical craziness but it's fun.

The typical craziness but it's fun.

• Apr 17, 2020

This Ernest movie was alright. Jim Varney and the rest of the cast did a decent job in this movie. The plot to the movie was pretty goofy and weird. It wasn't a very bad movie, but it was as great as the previous Ernest movie. I probably wouldn't recommend this movie. It's a family movie but not everyone would enjoy it.

• Dec 24, 2019

Ernest is one of my favorite characters of all time! This movie is just great feel good fun.

• Dec 20, 2019

Ernest has a particular brand of goofiness that was perfect when I was young. His combination of idiocy and slapstick always hit the right notes for me to laugh as a kid. Approaching one of his films now was a different experience. I still had some nostalgic pleasure in hearing his catch-phrases and watching his good intentions go bad, but I must admit at times he can be a bit annoying. I think the toughest scene for me to handle as a cynical old man was the obligatory moment with Vern. This short pit stop that Ernest and Harmony take at Vern’s place is a complete detour from the plot, and Ernest’s destructive antics didn’t make me laugh all that much. But when it’s an Ernest movie, you have to include Vern somewhere. One thing that stuck out to me like a sore thumb was the product placement in this film. I probably should have expected that, since the character of Ernest began as a guy on a commercial, but still it was pretty blatant. I like the plot of Ernest Saves Christmas a bit more than other movies that involve a changing of the guard for Santa Claus. The idea of Santa actually choosing his successor is smart, and I liked how they handled the indecision of his chosen protégé. Ernest actually isn’t the most important character in this film, but he adds the silly comedy and is given the vital role of bringing all the right people together in order to save the holiday. Harmony is also a somewhat unnecessary character, and I wasn’t sure if she added enough to the film, but I liked how her arc speaks to the adults like me who watch movies like this and need to be reminded of the value that belief in Santa Claus can be to children everywhere. Despite the fact that Ernest Saves Christmas is a bit sloppy in the way the plot is handled, it has enough heart and brought back warm fuzzy memories that I had long forgotten. It’s not going to be added to my perennial holiday movie-watching, but I wouldn’t mind seeing it again in the future.

• Nov 19, 2019

I created a Rotten Tomatoes account just to give this underappreciated masterpiece five stars.

• Nov 04, 2019

Best Ernest movie. A Christmas time classic.

Best Ernest movie. A Christmas time classic.

• Sep 28, 2019

you might not under stand but its humor and if you like dumb humor you need to get this movie

• Sep 13, 2019

Rather lowbrow and really won't appeal to everyone's tastes but Jim Varney is admirable in the lead role and this version of Santa Claus - played by the Sultan from the original animated Aladdin - is rather nice (with shades of memetic badass) I've seen better Christmas comedies.

• Dec 24, 2018

"The name is Santa Claus!" While not a good movie, but out of the Ernest movies, this is the least painful to sit through. Douglas Seale plays Santa with warm and delight. The saving grace of the movie.

• Dec 24, 2017

I don't know why people expect a miracle out of these movies. Ernest saves Christmas is a solid family movie with a heart warming story. It's a classic Ernest movie