The Exorcist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcist Reviews

May 24, 2017
CREEPY
Like everyone is saying, the creepiest and scariest movie ever created by man is The Exorcist. What I want to say that is often overlooked is the acting of this film. This is really a drama. I mean Ellen Burstyn who plays the mother of the possessed girl, did an amazing job, I mean I really felt for her. And Linda Blair, who plays Reagan, can you imagine, being a 12 year old girl and having to swear like that! God, what a commitment. I thought this film doesn't only represent what a good horror film is, it also represents key factors into making a good movie. I think it should have won Best Picture instead of The Sting. But that is just me.
May 20, 2017
I am late to the game but what a fantastic film. Having never seen it, and having seen modern horror type films, it;'s altogether a more tense affair, if not a touch less scary as a result. Still, its effect on the genre today is clear.
May 16, 2017
Linda Blair`s "Evil" scenes were the only good part of this disaster.
May 9, 2017
My favorite movie of all time, no doubt.
May 4, 2017
PODERIA TER UMA NOTA MELHOR.
May 4, 2017
Diabolical in every sense. As a horror film it exceeds in scaring you senseless. It's definitely not something I care to watch again. (First and only viewing - 3/2/2013)
May 3, 2017
The Exorcist's groundbreaking special effects and provocative sense of vulgarity are propped up with sobering human drama and three-dimensional characters, delivering a powerful acting showcase rich with emotional depth, deep symbolism and remaining every bit as frightening as it was when it first plagued the screen.
April 29, 2017
Simply the best, a masterpiece. Should have won the Oscar in 1974 for Best Picture if the academy had any guts and wasn't so pretentious thinking that it would be a sin to give a "Horror" movie it's highest honor that year.
April 26, 2017
The greatest film of its type
½ April 20, 2017
I don't mean to offend you guys who love this film but my opinion: this was not a good movie. Not that it was scary, it was just very peculiar. 2 out of 10 stars.
April 16, 2017
This classic film might of been scary or new to audiences in 1973, but today it is considered hillarious to some. In my opinion i felt it was slow moving and boring, the demon possession scenes were the best part, the acting was mediocre and nothing great. All in all i give this film 1 golden movie box up!
April 13, 2017
Best horror movie ever!
March 23, 2017
Quite simply the quintessential horror movie. What sets The Exorcist apart is that it preys on our spiritual fears - our internal conflicts; doubts, regrets, guilt - and our emotional fears; fear of loss, fear of uncertainty, fear of the unknown. And it's executed to perfection, giving us brilliantly acted characters to care about and empathize with, so when they do endure life shattering scenarios we are experiencing their anguish with them. You'll find no jump scares here; this is deep, intrinsic, genuine horror. A masterpiece of filmmaking.
March 14, 2017
Has it stood the test of time? Not fully but it gives a good foundation for all the horrors that have come after.
March 7, 2017
This movie was to horrible for words.. it was one of the most messed up, disgusting and gross movies I have ever seen in my whole life. made me want to vomit. and it gave me the worst headache on my right side...of I could give it no stars I WOULD SO INDEFINITELY!!!!
February 22, 2017
Jason Miller, Ellen Burstyn, Linda Blair and Max Von Sydow all give strong performances in this movie. Even going beyond the head spinning & levitation scenes, this movie did an incredible job of developing the characters and the story line. I like how the movie took the first hour to build everything up (characters, story) in a slow burning, ominous way before unleashing the horror of the second hour.
½ February 18, 2017
The beginnings of a great horror genre...
February 16, 2017
It comes across as unintentionally funny rather than being a serious horror film.
The scenes that don't involve Linda Blair or exorcisms fall so flat on their faces, that they're enough to put people to sleep. It's a plot that simply isn't engaging, suffering from a large portion of side characters who are not interesting to be around with.
Scenes involving Blair's possessed character do provide memorable moments that one will never forget; but is it enough to warrant multiple viewings of the film? No.
December 29, 2016
An absolutely flawless film that holds up over 40 years later. The performances, faith themes, and visual effects are still astonishing to watch unfold.
½ December 17, 2016
This was a game changer in the horror franchise, which is why it will always stand alone as an untouched classic. But why the visuals were just as good as anything the 70's had to offer, the screenplay was just as better!