The Exorcist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcist Reviews

October 19, 2017
This Is My Favorite Horror Film Of All Time.
½ October 16, 2017
95%, Scary, Good Acting. Very Original.
½ September 29, 2017
Though not without great qualities, this is one of the most overrated, over-hyped, foolish, films ever made. The screenplay is disjointed, hacked up, and an embarrasing Oscar win.

Things are simply placed there for us to be shocked by, for effect, with no real purpose. What is the purpose behind an anonymous priest finding a desecrated statue in a church? Where does that take us story-wise? It is only there as for effect. What purpose does the whole opening scene in Iraq serve? The old priest we meet later on finds a little statue thought to reoresent evil...ok...whatever.

Noises in the attic which sound nothing like rats, are thought to be rats. Where does that lead? The house has spirits in it that will end up being Satan in Regan? Ok, but thats a really forced explanation. They are only another pointless effect as you walk through a spook house.

At the party, how does Burstyn's character know this priest who loves sing alongs? Why would he be there other than the script needs a priest involved?

The entire storyline with Lee J. Cobb's detective is pointless and could be cut.

Regan has one incident of urinating and what anyone would dismiss as a child's bad dream moment, we are told she's 'been sick'. Really? We saw no lead up to this, indicating she is sick. Then we quickly jump to her screaming at the doctor's office and discussion about neuro electrical problems. Huh? Again, no build up or narrative to this moment.

What exactly is the physiological reason for throwing up green slime? What is it? How exactly does a human head spin around without the neck breaking? I know, we are just supposed to be scared by another pointless effect.

Linda Blair does not give a performance as one is not needed. She is merely a prop for the director and effects guys.

At least they had the sense to cut 'the spiderwalk'. What purpose would that serve to advance the story? Other than another 'BOO' moment in the spook house? And why would Satan have Regan do this? Or make her bed bump around? Or anything that happens? It's just for show.

Editing and sound problems exist all over. Burke is undeveloped in the first place and when we hear of his death, the scene is cut short. At no point does the sound of Satan's voice appear to be coming from Regan's mouth. They did not even manage to have Blair's mouthing the words match what Mercedes McCambidge is saying as Satan.

Thankfully at that year's Oscar's, a truly entertaining, well constructed film won. What intelligent film fan would not rather watch The Sting or American Graffiti for the 100th time, than The Exorcist for the 2nd time?

On the positive side, Burstyn is great, and the storyline about Fr Karras and his mother is truly moving. But on the whole, it was hyped, empty and silly then, and still is.
September 29, 2017
Best horror movie ever, i really love the story and acting performances, ive seen it over 50 times, plus great music and makeup effects, it really makes you wonder that anybody could become possessed
½ September 25, 2017
Rating: 93%
Featuring a haunting performance from Linda Blair and some appropriately frightening scares, The Exorcist succeeds not only as a supernatural horror but as a suspenseful drama as well.
September 21, 2017
The Exorcist bolds it's revolutionary effects and performances from Linda Blair's Possessed Regan to Ellen Burstyn's Tormented Chris in one of the biggest game-changers of it's time
September 17, 2017
The only movie that made me spooked out. This film's original theatrical release is the best version. Later director cuts are good, but some cheesy effects were added that take away from the original release.
September 14, 2017
Kept me up for a week straight the first time I saw this
September 11, 2017
This is (and probably will always be) my favourite movie of all time. Whether it is the fascinating and scary story or the awesome acting, this movie is great.
September 10, 2017
I was probably only nine or eleven when I first saw this film and couldn't watch it in its entirety. It was far beyond scary at the time and extremely disturbing. Unfortunately, it wasn't meant to be an everlasting movie; most people today can view it without any problems.

The performances by the people who played the priests were right on, Burstyn didn't really have to act so much as to provide a performance of any kind; Friedkin took care of that, and Linda Blair was just a beautiful kid turned exceedingly devilish.

I'm not sure if it was the makeup, the well written screenplay or the profanity, but one thing is for certain; an experience was created to have people remembering, panicking and even dying from its jolt of terror that had a paranormal activity coming to a near quota.
September 2, 2017
William Friedkin's masterpiece is every bit as harrowing today as it was over 40 years ago. Linda Blair plays an impressionable 12 year old who becomes possessed by an ancient and very powerful demon named Pazuzu. Ellen Burstyn is her hard-living middle-aged actress mother and Jason Blair is a trouble priest who attempts to find someone worthy of exorcising her. Max von Sydow comes to the rescue and the events that unfold hurl at you in rapid pace. The horror does not lie in suspense but rather in thinking. The further the film delves into Catholic fundamentals of demonic possession the more enrapturing the film becomes. Stellar performances by Burstyn, Blair, and Miller add to the horrific delight of this acclaimed gem.
August 31, 2017
it was sckry it hade good ackts and acktors
August 11, 2017
Very suspenseful and incredibly well acted, I especially enjoyed Jason Miller. There is some really good practical effects in here, especially the infamous head turning scene. The final act was really suspenseful, although essentially anticlimactic in the end. I really enjoyed the film, but I felt that a lot of the hype I heard about it was not as high as it should have been. Definitely a classic and deservedly so far it's time however
August 11, 2017
Overall, best horror film ever created. But, that is MY opinion.
July 20, 2017
The plot is fine, the acting is fine, very scary, the swearing and blood can seem a bit much at times though.
July 13, 2017
A visual and audio funhouse that just so happened to prey upon our most hardwired superstitions. We take for granted today the shocking and life-threatening scare tactics director William Friedkin innovated. Even without the visual effects, the unhinged performances by the cast resulted in a truly terrifying experience - at least for the first time you watch it. Gradually, as you watch lesser caliber horror, the violent nature of the film mitigates. But with its carefully orchestrated silences and assaults on the viewer, nothing compares to this. Watch it only once, when you're still open-minded as to the concepts of evil spirits.

Pazuzu floated head-circles around other invisible villains like Keyser Soze and the mad truck driver from Duel. This nasty demon even surpasses other non-human terrors such as Jaws and the Borg Queen because of its blatantly malicious intent. Whereas we can debate the evil heart of the monster in Cloverfield or Godzilla (which theoretically could be a worried mommy looking for her eggs) Pazuzu's evil lust is insatiable. This King of the demons was not content until it has possessed and violated a 12-year old girl, swore like a sailor, defied all human logic with its ghostly bag of tricks and wasted not one but two priests. That's what you call a devil's advocate.
July 13, 2017
Best movie ever made. Period.
July 11, 2017
I'm just gonna start off by saying if you haven't seen The Exorcist, you are not a true horror fan. What can I say that hasn't been said already? The Exorcist is definitely the scariest movie of all time and definitely one of the greatest aside from The Shining. It's a must see horror movie.
July 5, 2017
okay, here goes: my favorite movie. 'nuf said. fade out. the end....