The Exorcist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcist Reviews

October 22, 2016
Watching the girl repeatedly stab herself in the vagina with a cross, projectile vomit, levitate, and recede into looking more and more grotesque stuck with me more than anything else. This movie is just gross, vulgar, and overall not very scary.
½ October 20, 2016
A tour de force of a horror movie! Father Karras dream sequence still gets me every time I see it! Everything is so powerful and a lot of care has been put into this one film and it really shows! The latest horror movies don't even comes close to this timeless classic. Compared to this, they are too obvious. I also heard that there was paranormal activity on the set around the time this was in production!
October 15, 2016
Classic American horror film.
October 12, 2016
98% The best horror film of all-time? Yes it is. Horror masterpiece.
October 11, 2016
Best horror movie ever. It is a classic tale of a girl getting posessed by the devil. I was scared straight for weeks!
October 7, 2016
10 out of 10:

Scary, well acted, and packed with some impressive special effects, The Exorcist is a perfect example of a horror film.
October 1, 2016
Best horror movie ever....still occasionally creeps into my nightmares 40 yrs later
October 1, 2016
Supernatural/Paranormal/Horror is not my favorite genre, but I liked this movie. Despite being from 43 years ago, this movie still felt fresh, suspenseful and absorbing. Though by no means a copy, Fazil's Manichithrathaazhu (1993, Malayalam) seems to have borrowed a lot of elements from this film - a female character exhibiting split personality syndrome, how she is kept restrained in a room, how she exerts unnatural powers including the ability to move a heavy bed, how she speaks languages other than her own, the conflict between faith and science, a psychiatrist who recommends a religion-based cure, a skeptical faith practitioner, etc. Definitely worth a watch.
½ October 1, 2016
One of the worst movies I've ever seen in my life. I have absolutely NO IDEA how people think it's scary people have said its "the scariest movie ever made' and who said 'always leaves it's viewers breathless?' The first 30 minutes was non-stop talking and I forgot that I was watching the exorcist and then I thought I must've downloaded the wrong movie. For some stupid reason, the writer decided to add in a scene of the girl masturbating with a Christian cross! Here's how the exorcist goes for like 2 hours: talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, slightly scary moment, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, slightly scary moment, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, talking, slightly scary moment, talking, talking, and then about 20 minutes of loud-demonic-heavy-breathing, and then they couldn't help themselves but to end it with more talking, credits.....
½ September 24, 2016
A classic that set the standard for possession movies.
September 13, 2016
Horror classic, scariest movie ever made!
September 9, 2016
One of the most original and scary horror films ever made. Anyone even thinking of making a horror film in the past 40 years has stolen something from this film.
September 7, 2016
Grade A acting, grade A story, grade A production, grade A makeup! This is a film the director originally said no to, the author didn't let that discourage him into turning the screenplay into a novel. The Novel was a best seller which made the director change his mind. No one knew how people would react to the movie and the cast a crew feared it might be a complete flop considering no one had made a movie like this. The shots almost seem documentary style which keeps the viewer on edge through the whole film because frankly, this film is hypnotizing for people who understand the psychological horror genre. So hypnotic, that some viewers either left screaming and running out of the theatres, and/or even thought they themselves thought they were possessed. The author witnessed an exorcism himself, which is why this movie was so much of a game changer for its time. The entire film is haunting s it perfectly portrays the mood and seriousness of someone who seems to be possessed.
½ September 5, 2016
Don't Shoot Me! Please! Let me explain! Okay. I don't do horror movies because I'm a whimp. Plain and simple. Although, being a film student, I felt like I had to see this one. On the DVD cover of my copy, it perfectly states, "The Scariest Movie Of All Time." So going into it, I wasn't too happy. What I got instead was one of the slowest movies I have ever seen. Although what is strange, is that it was intriguing. I wanted to keep watching right after that first pop-up of that weird scary face. I was also happy that the movie wasn't "that" scary. I was disturbing for sure, especially when the classic shot of her head turning all the way around came up, but nothing nightmare worthy. Overall, I was a bit dissappointed. If you are a horror fan, you've probably already seen this but if you like getting the creeps then this one is a classic to check out. It was just too slow for me.
August 28, 2016
Probably one of the greatest films ever made. This film was made in 1973 and still has better "special effects" and thrills than most movies today. It's not over the top to the point of removing the viewer from the film, the acting is top notch, and the story line is great. Other than a few instances it is almost identical to the book and is still, in my humble, opinion the reigning horror flick of all time.
August 28, 2016
Still holds up after all theses years.
August 21, 2016
Can't see how this is "one of the scariest films of all time," seeing as how it's really boring and they cut away from something creepy to more unnecessary dialogue more often than not.
August 18, 2016
I don't have the guts.
August 9, 2016
The greatest Demonic Possession movie ever made. Top notch performances from all involved and brilliant direction at a terrifying pace.
½ August 5, 2016
Terrifying, chilling, and unsettling. THE EXORCIST is a classic staple in shocking horror films, whether its pace is dated and slow is subjective, I feel it has surpassed the tests of time.