The Exorcist - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Exorcist Reviews

April 26, 2017
The greatest film of its type
½ April 20, 2017
I don't mean to offend you guys who love this film but my opinion: this was not a good movie. Not that it was scary, it was just very peculiar. 2 out of 10 stars.
April 16, 2017
This classic film might of been scary or new to audiences in 1973, but today it is considered hillarious to some. In my opinion i felt it was slow moving and boring, the demon possession scenes were the best part, the acting was mediocre and nothing great. All in all i give this film 1 golden movie box up!
April 13, 2017
Best horror movie ever!
March 23, 2017
Quite simply the quintessential horror movie. What sets The Exorcist apart is that it preys on our spiritual fears - our internal conflicts; doubts, regrets, guilt - and our emotional fears; fear of loss, fear of uncertainty, fear of the unknown. And it's executed to perfection, giving us brilliantly acted characters to care about and empathize with, so when they do endure life shattering scenarios we are experiencing their anguish with them. You'll find no jump scares here; this is deep, intrinsic, genuine horror. A masterpiece of filmmaking.
March 14, 2017
Has it stood the test of time? Not fully but it gives a good foundation for all the horrors that have come after.
March 7, 2017
This movie was to horrible for words.. it was one of the most messed up, disgusting and gross movies I have ever seen in my whole life. made me want to vomit. and it gave me the worst headache on my right side...of I could give it no stars I WOULD SO INDEFINITELY!!!!
February 22, 2017
Jason Miller, Ellen Burstyn, Linda Blair and Max Von Sydow all give strong performances in this movie. Even going beyond the head spinning & levitation scenes, this movie did an incredible job of developing the characters and the story line. I like how the movie took the first hour to build everything up (characters, story) in a slow burning, ominous way before unleashing the horror of the second hour.
½ February 18, 2017
The beginnings of a great horror genre...
February 16, 2017
It comes across as unintentionally funny rather than being a serious horror film.
The scenes that don't involve Linda Blair or exorcisms fall so flat on their faces, that they're enough to put people to sleep. It's a plot that simply isn't engaging, suffering from a large portion of side characters who are not interesting to be around with.
Scenes involving Blair's possessed character do provide memorable moments that one will never forget; but is it enough to warrant multiple viewings of the film? No.
December 29, 2016
An absolutely flawless film that holds up over 40 years later. The performances, faith themes, and visual effects are still astonishing to watch unfold.
½ December 17, 2016
This was a game changer in the horror franchise, which is why it will always stand alone as an untouched classic. But why the visuals were just as good as anything the 70's had to offer, the screenplay was just as better!
December 14, 2016
The Scariest Movie Of All Time.Brilliant Acting For Linda Blair
December 3, 2016
Clearly, one of the finest achievements in film history. How anyone can say otherwise is an anomaly to me. And easily the greatest film of its kind ever made. Nothing has ever come close. Friedkin's singular vision, along with the consistent superb work by the actors, have guaranteed its place in classic world cinema.
November 28, 2016
Exquisitely directed and with a careful pacing, this is a true classic that drives its characters into a genuine state of pure terror in the presence of unspeakable Evil and scared the hell out of audiences when it was released - something that will be more difficult to happen today.
November 15, 2016
Even after being 40 years old this movie is creepy as fuck. Some pacing issues but still a great horror film
½ November 7, 2016
Para a época foi genial. A atuação da Linda Blair na minha opinião foi ótima. Mas vendo com o olhar de hoje em dia chega a ser engraçado o filme mas não podemos negar que foi um marco na história do terror.
½ November 4, 2016
Not only visually horrifying, but psychologically horrifying. The Exorcist has great performances, eerie direction from William Friedkin, and well-paced, effective character development. I've never seen a movie that has matched the horror that this movie displayed. You'll be thinking about it for awhile after you watch it. The Exorcist is a ground-breaker in cinema and is not only possibly the scariest movie ever made, but one of the greatest films ever made.
November 1, 2016
A este punto no creo que exista una persona que se diga amante del cine de terror y que no haya visto esta pelicula, si se de personas con malos gustos por el séptimo arte (y mas si se dice conocedor del género) que ha dicho que no le gusta la pelicula, pero yo digo ¿como no gustarte la mejor película de terror de todos los tiempos? una pelicula que su trailer original fue prohibido, que la gente salía despavorida de la sala de cine, que incluso Gabriele Amorth quien en vida fue el exorcista numero 1 del Vaticano indicó que fue su pelicula favorita por la manera en que narran los hechos y que además, en el año de 1973 gano 2 de las 10 nominaciones a los premios Oscar de la Academia.
La pelicula se desarrolla a partir de una excavación arqueológica en Al-Hadar cerca de Nínive, en Irak, el arqueólogo padre Lankester Merrin encuentra un amuleto semejante a una estatua de Pazuzu, un demonio a quien el padre Merrin había expulsado de una persona poseída tiempo atrás y donde casi paralelamente a este hecho, Regan, una niña de doce años, es víctima de fenómenos paranormales como la levitación o la manifestación de una fuerza sobrehumana que luego se confirmaria que se trataria de una de las entidades mas poderosas conocidas por la Demonología (si bien en la pelicula, te sugieren que se trata del mismisimo Lucifer) en realidad es Pazuzu, el demonio de la Ouija como también es conocido.
Recomiendo volver a ver para los fanáticos o ver para los primerizos la versión "Extended Director's Cut" ya que aparte de incluir escenas extras no plasmadas en la pelicula original, se incluyeron de forma digital varias caras del demonio antes mencionado (en el film original aparece brevemente solo al inicio de film) que le dará un halo de misterio adicional y aumentará la dosis del terror que no cesan a lo largo de las 2 horas de duración del film, desde su vertiginoso inicio hasta su sorprendente final.
½ October 31, 2016
It's aged very, very well. Still super frightening.