Far and Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Far and Away Reviews

July 22, 2016
Far and Away is getting a bit older now. I liked it back when I saw it. Romantic and adventurous, with funny moments here and there.

Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman had chemistry, on screen and off, back in those days.

Irish aren't hated as immigrants anymore, but as this movie shows, there was a time when Irish immigrants were the newcomers to America and not well accepted by many Americans. "I don't hire Irish."

This also reminds us there was a time when land was being given away to white settlers. Immigrants flooded to settle the Midwest, to get free or cheap land. There are a lot of small Midwest towns settled during the time depicted in this movie, which were settled by a particular ethnic group. Many of those little towns retain those ethnic roots and an awareness of heritage. That this wasn't fair to Native Americans, who were resettled onto reservations and forced to agree to treaties, is another topic for another movie.
April 16, 2016
una de las mejores peliculas de Nicole kidman y Tom cruise..

muy buena historia.
November 13, 2015
Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman have great chemistry here but Far and Away is a little too silly and conventional to be as epic as it tried to be.
June 7, 2015
Horrible performances from its cast and boring plot points make "Far and Away" Ron Howard's worst and most forgettable film.
½ May 5, 2015
"Irish" accents (from the leads) so bad it almost distracts you from how terrible their acting is, either eerily silent or with music that will make your soul cry, cringing is as emotionally involved as you'll get with this B-movie romance - The only surprising quality of this dreadful film is that it manages to distort space and time like a cinematographic blackhole making 2 hours 20 seem like a cold eternity where no one can hear your scream.
April 8, 2015
I liked this movie even though a lot of others didn't. It's a sweeping historical epic. Hollywood best attempt at Ken Burns I guess.
April 7, 2015
The first twenty minutes or so go fine but watch out below after that.
April 5, 2015
Used to watch Far and Away so many times because I have always been fascinated by everything about Ireland. Not a big fan of Tom Cruise but this movie I enjoy quite a lot.
½ February 17, 2015
It should've been a lot better, but for what it was, it was OK.
Eyes Wide Shut still remains the best Cruise/Kidman film.
January 29, 2015
Not at all what I was expecting. I think I liked this more than it deserved just for the nostalgia factor of seeing a sprawling epic that isn't all green screen.
½ January 17, 2015
Underrated a really good adventure film!
½ November 30, 2014
Ein Abenteuer Drama mit den damaligen Ehepaar Cruise / Kidman! Was eigentlich schön anfängt, mit einer schöner Bildersprache und mit einer guten, untermalten Musik, wird schnell, wie im Kampf um ein Land, schnell ausgepufft! Sicherlich spielen Cruise und Kidman souverän, bleiben aber mit den Charakteren auf der Strecke. Ein gut gemeinter Film, der aber viele Schwächen hat!
October 19, 2014
I liked it a lot as a kid and now, more than 20 years later, the movie has aged well. it may not be the epic movie it wanted to be, but it's still very enjoyable.
October 13, 2014
I watched it in school which at first, I surprisingly never heard of this film despite the fact that it has Tom Cruise, Nicole Kidman, and it has Ron Howard as the director. When I saw it, I figured out why, it's a forgettable mess of a film. The two main problems, are the main actors, and the plot. I'm sure Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman are trying to act, but their accent is not authentic, it's like their accent is the same way that Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins is with his accent. Their chemistry could've been better though, and it felt like it was more arguments than just conversations. The plot, there's way too much of it, and it doesn't know what it's trying to focus on. There is another problem which is the comedy, but it's minor because there are some funny moments, but there was some other parts that was just awkward. Despite those flaws, it didn't make me mad because there are some good scenes in it, but it's just a bit dull and disappointing that I'm probably going to forget it in a few days.
October 2, 2014
hizo algo que pocos filmes de ese estilo pueden lograr, creerles
August 4, 2014
This film felt like they were just checking off the "make a period-piece epic" box.
½ July 23, 2014
Being Irish I find this film literally unwatchable after about ten minutes because of the atrocious accents. They really are that bad.
½ June 16, 2014
The accents of the leads are horrible and the plot is quite silly at times but the film is entertaining enough to be bearable.
June 14, 2014
a classic. beautiful love story. the search for land, freedom, and the american dream.
½ June 4, 2014
i didn't entirely dislike this film, it had it's moments. but it was really cheesy with a shit ending. actors were likeable, but why not cast actual irish actors?