Far and Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Far and Away Reviews

½ September 2, 2007
The accents of the leads are horrible and the plot is quite silly at times but the film is entertaining enough to be bearable.
October 27, 2012
Pleasant film, if you're of Irish ancestry. Nothing is really special about the film. Some of the acting is vapid, the costumes are nothing special, but I do like the sound track.
September 6, 2012
This might have been one of the first movies I had ever seen, so my eight-year-old, limited-English-speaking self enjoyed it at least. Upon rewatch, I was disappointed to find its total puke-in-my-potato-and-leek-soup schlock-value. The stereotypical, opposites attract characters - Tom Cruise's rough bruiser, Nicole Kidman's fiery aristocrat, Robert Prosky's burdened rich man - John Williams' by-the-book, authentically inauthentic score, and Tom's authentically inauthentic accent (which is at least consistent).
April 17, 2012
I really wonder why on earth this was made. Absolutely terrible. Not only were the main two miscast, their accents were atrocious and the script seemed to have been a first draft written by a over-zealous newbie. Far too long and so boring I was close to falling asleep. The only thing I really liked was the core situation of the two (running away to an 'unknown' land) and Cruise. Even then I wouldn't bother watching it again. Total no go zone.
August 15, 2011
The Irish take part in the Oklahoma Land Rush with Cruise and Kidman our representative couple, she from the landed gentry and he one of her father's tenant farmers. Can they put aside their class differences in time? Not a bad fantasy if overly manipulative. There doesn't seem to be much chemistry between the leads ...
½ June 21, 2011
Ron Howard's 'Far and Away' is nothing different than other films you've seen before in this genre. It feels neither fresh or revolutionary. However, Cruise and Kidman turn in enjoyable performances and are able to heighten the entertainment the script sometimes fails to provide. Few scenes stand out and grab your attention, but for the most part 'Far and Away' is never anything to remember. As a talented director, Ron Howard may be disappointed with such a mediocre attempt.
½ November 8, 2010
The year is 1892 and Irish immigrants Joseph Donnelly (Tom Cruise) and Shannon (Nicole Kidman) have arrived at a shipping port in Boston, greeted by enticing faces who offer them jobs and safety...for a price.

Joseph has used Shannon to help cross the Atlantic; there's a long prologue in which their characters are set up. Essentially they become a romantic couple as time progresses, even though they're very different from each other - Joseph being from a poor upbringing and Shannon from a prosperous one.

Joseph gets a job as a boxer for the local Irish ghetto warden boss, while Shannon becomes a dancer/stripper at one of the warden's bars.

The movie was directed by Ron Howard and was one of those post-marriage Cruise/Kidman movies. It got some hype when it came out, and then it died.

Props must be given - direction is good and the sets are realistic. It really evokes the late 19th century and most of the stuff seems genuine (reminded me a bit of "Gangs of New York" to be honest).

However, the acting is atrocious. Cruise can't sport a consistent Irish accent for the life of him. Kidman is okay but I've seen her give far more convincing performances.

Overall this love story set in immigration America had potential and is pretty to look at, but the tale is a bit alienating due to the poor performances from the lead actors.
June 14, 2010
A decent but very forgettable love story between two Irish people who want to be together, but in America where land is available. As usual, both Cruise and Kidman are excellent in their respected roles, and the ending is well put-together. But it's nothing more than decent sadly, it is predictable and formulaic to a degree. Ron Howard, Cruise, and Kidman have all done far better.
½ March 23, 2008
I enjoyed seeing the acting of young Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman. It was a fun and watchable western about Cruise and Kidman leaving Ireland to own land in America.
½ May 24, 2009
Young Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise pretending to be Irish? Fabulous.
½ September 29, 2007
Ok Ok the Accents first of all are terrible to be honest quite laughable but apart from that i really quite enjoyed this movie! Its a nice romcom and it is funny and a really cute little blossoming relationship. really worth a watch!
Set in Ireland before moving over to america in 1893 two irish people one a farmer the other a posh rich person escape ireland to go to the wonders of america but everyones not as honest as its made out to be and when being rob Kidman finds herself poor and only cruise for company but will that hate lead to romance?
A nice funny movie worth a watch!
August 6, 2008
Brilliantly beautiful.
July 14, 2007
One of many Tom and Nicole movies. This one is a bout Irish settlers in America. Accents are really bad.
May 6, 2008
Extremally FANTASTIC and ROMANTIC!!!!!!!
January 31, 2007
I am not a huge fan of Tom Cruise but I enjoyed this movie a lot. It has a great story and all the actors really bring it to the table.
The locations are awesome and you really feel the travel as they go from location to location and follow the dreams of owning land in the great land of America.
Plus I love the interaction between Cruise and Kidman.
January 22, 2007
one of the few tom cruise movies i love, but this is a great movie. tell him you like his hat.
November 1, 2007
½ October 13, 2007
A tv syndicate classic. All I really remember is that they stake land at the end. Oh boy.
½ May 11, 2007
Love movies about Ireland, but hated this and hate Tom Cruise. Don't know why. Just do.
April 4, 2007
Director Ron Howard's sweeping tale of Irish immigrants who come to America in search of land in the late 1800s is an excellent entertaining saga. Tom Cruise and his then real-life wife Nicole Kidman make their fantastic performance as a bickering couple from different social classes who find themselves adrift in the New World. Cool boxing scenes without the boxing gloves.