Far and Away - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Far and Away Reviews

July 29, 2017
Story about two immigrants from Ireland who want to live in America in the early twentith century. I like this movie. Tom and Nicole were married around this time and I think they worked good together. The movie does drift a bit in the 3rd act. Good but not great.
January 31, 2017
I was drawn to this movie because of the director and the stars. I guess that isn't always a good formula for picking a movie. I expected the chemistry between Cruise and Kidman to be electric as this is when Tom Cruise in real life leaves Mimi Rogers for Nicole. However, I didn't feel the chemistry at all. I actually thought that Nicole was better suited for her other love interest in the film. The movie kept my attention and I cared about the outcome. I was semi satisfied with the final scene. I did enjoy the history of Ireland in the mid 1800's and what is was like when a new Irish immigrant landed in Boston. Also, I never knew how the land in Oklahoma was awarded for free to people willing to settle the West.
January 8, 2017
A good movie. Good acting and a good plot. The ending was not that great.
½ December 8, 2016
not one of my favorite TC movies
½ October 7, 2016
The good old days when Nicole and Tom were still married. This isn't an entirely perfect romantic drama, but what makes up for it is the epic heart pounding race for land in the Oklahoma territory! That's what makes this film good! Definitely worth watching around the holiday season!
September 18, 2016
Beautiful pairing of Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman against the background of the 19th century US.
½ August 29, 2016
Terrible film, the accents are so bad what's wrong with using Irish actors?
July 22, 2016
Far and Away is getting a bit older now. I liked it back when I saw it. Romantic and adventurous, with funny moments here and there.

Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman had chemistry, on screen and off, back in those days.

Irish aren't hated as immigrants anymore, but as this movie shows, there was a time when Irish immigrants were the newcomers to America and not well accepted by many Americans. "I don't hire Irish."

This also reminds us there was a time when land was being given away to white settlers. Immigrants flooded to settle the Midwest, to get free or cheap land. There are a lot of small Midwest towns settled during the time depicted in this movie, which were settled by a particular ethnic group. Many of those little towns retain those ethnic roots and an awareness of heritage. That this wasn't fair to Native Americans, who were resettled onto reservations and forced to agree to treaties, is another topic for another movie.
April 16, 2016
una de las mejores peliculas de Nicole kidman y Tom cruise..

muy buena historia.
November 13, 2015
Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman have great chemistry here but Far and Away is a little too silly and conventional to be as epic as it tried to be.
June 7, 2015
Horrible performances from its cast and boring plot points make "Far and Away" Ron Howard's worst and most forgettable film.
½ May 5, 2015
"Irish" accents (from the leads) so bad it almost distracts you from how terrible their acting is, either eerily silent or with music that will make your soul cry, cringing is as emotionally involved as you'll get with this B-movie romance - The only surprising quality of this dreadful film is that it manages to distort space and time like a cinematographic blackhole making 2 hours 20 seem like a cold eternity where no one can hear your scream.
April 8, 2015
I liked this movie even though a lot of others didn't. It's a sweeping historical epic. Hollywood best attempt at Ken Burns I guess.
April 7, 2015
The first twenty minutes or so go fine but watch out below after that.
April 5, 2015
Used to watch Far and Away so many times because I have always been fascinated by everything about Ireland. Not a big fan of Tom Cruise but this movie I enjoy quite a lot.
½ February 17, 2015
It should've been a lot better, but for what it was, it was OK.
Eyes Wide Shut still remains the best Cruise/Kidman film.
January 29, 2015
Not at all what I was expecting. I think I liked this more than it deserved just for the nostalgia factor of seeing a sprawling epic that isn't all green screen.
½ January 17, 2015
Underrated a really good adventure film!
½ November 30, 2014
Ein Abenteuer Drama mit den damaligen Ehepaar Cruise / Kidman! Was eigentlich schön anfängt, mit einer schöner Bildersprache und mit einer guten, untermalten Musik, wird schnell, wie im Kampf um ein Land, schnell ausgepufft! Sicherlich spielen Cruise und Kidman souverän, bleiben aber mit den Charakteren auf der Strecke. Ein gut gemeinter Film, der aber viele Schwächen hat!