The Fastest Gun Alive Reviews

• Jan 16, 2021

The Fastest Gun Alive is the poor man's version of High Noon and keeps one in suspense until the very end. Remarkable moments include the Church scene and a riveting horizontal and vertical dance sequence. The beginning features philosophical dialogue and brings home how life can be so quickly and unexpectedly snuffed out.

• Mar 29, 2018

Glenn Ford is excellent as the reluctant gunfighter with a past that just can't stay there and Broderick Crawford is always a fine choice of a villain you hate from the moment you see him. If you are a Glenn Ford fan or looking to start viewing westerns then this is a must do

• Jun 30, 2017

One of Glenn Ford's best performances, and without it, could not have pulled off the complex psychological subtext Rouse had in mind. Great cult movie, and you just got to love the title.

• Jun 10, 2016

Simple man vs man shoot out premise, but does well with the set up and increasing tension to the inevitable climax.

• Mar 25, 2015

A great film that's worth adding to your collection.

A great film that's worth adding to your collection.

• Jan 10, 2014

Intense and well acted.

Intense and well acted.

• Jul 08, 2013

131230: This is a bit of a funny movie. For the most part, I just found it takes itself too seriously. Most of the actors take themselves too seriously. From Glenn Ford to the woman who screams on the church steps when George Temple and his gang say they're holding her son. Speaking of Temple, he just doesn't come across as a guy who's fast but perhaps that's my mistake, and the mistake of all those who think they're faster. John Dehner as Taylor Swope, one of Temple's henchmen, was the highlight for me. He was the most convincing, and as the second fastest gun in the west, or is it the third, he plays his part well. With ten minutes left a big secret is revealed and my interest was piqued. The story takes a bit of a twist, which brought up my rating half a star. Definitely worth watching but, overall, a little too intentionally intense for me. Don't think it was supposed to make people smirk but it made me smirk. Kind of enjoyed it for that.

• Jul 07, 2013

Good idea, with a few cameos, but this low budget film fell short on the weak writing and the obvious sets. For some reason, ford always seems greasy in this, I think his haircut does not help. It's still a good little western that raises issues of loyalty, swearing oaths before God and sacrificing ones self and honor for the greater good. The oath swearing scene in the church was kind of cultish.

• Apr 26, 2013

Different but very good western--A surprise solid smash!!

Different but very good western--A surprise solid smash!!

• Mar 13, 2013

The only villain here, is Jeanne Crain's character, who for some reason spends the entire picture in a tug of war battle with Glenn Ford, a battle between having fun, and being a complete and utter bore. That's usually how it goes in older pictures - the lead actor chews up the scenery, and the actress manages to land the role of the bickering bore. I tuned in to see 'The Fastest Gun Alive,' not the most boring woman alive.