Fight Club - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fight Club Reviews

July 21, 2016
I met Chuck Phalaniuk the other day at a book signing for Fight Club 2. I'm pretty sure I spelt his last name wrong and I'm sure he's used to that. I watched the movie at Cinemark on the big screen last weekend. It was part of their classic series. This is still my favorite movie. The story, the acting, the depth, the philosophy, the directing, the editing, the soundtrack, the whole movie is just amazing. I love every piece of it. I still find new things every time I watch it. #tylerlives #rizeordie - Deighv 2016

This movie changed my life. I'm seriously considering burning lye into my hand. - Dave circa 2008
½ July 21, 2016
good actors in a messed up storyline that bores the hell out of you... usual suspects film, why the heck do people rate it?
July 21, 2016
pure perfection! this film is a work of art. everything about it is amazing. the acting is phenomenal. the directing is superb. the story is genius. it is endlessly smart.

SPOILERS

so many parts stood out to me as something I've never seen before and found very interesting and memorable. like the chemical burn, his name was Robert Paulsen, smiley face vandalism, car recall formula, rich people soap made of rich people lard, waiting on the porch for three days to get in, touring support groups, starting a fight with a stranger and losing. the garage self-fight scene at the end was so crazy, dark and creepy.

possibly the best twist in any film ever. Maybe 30 or so references or hints at the twist. one of the best lines in the movie which references the twist is when he is hitting himself in his boss's office and thinks "for some reason this reminded me of my first fight with Tyler" back when he was fighting himself rather than others.

one of the deepest and best psychological aspects in a film. from the start of the film to the end, the main character goes through a psychological downward spiral, culminating in one final battle between his original self and alter ego to determine who wins controls of his life. one part I couldn't believe was that ed Norton became completely jealous when he saw Tyler (himself) complementing Jared Letto and becoming close with him. he then beat Letto's face in because he wanted to "destroy something beautiful." while he was beating him, he says "I felt like putting a bullet between the eyes of every Panda that wouldn't screw to save its species. I wanted to open the dump valves on oil tankers and smother all the French beaches I'd never see. I wanted to breathe smoke." very disturbed! (about 4 viewings)
July 20, 2016
Considering I bought the Blu-Ray of this movie today, I figured it's about time I did a review for Fight Club. One of my favorite movies of all time. The most prominent part of this movie, the acting. The chemistry between Norton & Pitt is what makes this movie great. And the friendship that evolves into something chaotic and awesome later on in the film, no spoilers, is what drove this movie into it's cult status. The fact that Norton's character is kept anonymous adds to the overall comedic and dramatic tone of the film. At what this movie sets out to achieve, it does it remarkably. Everything about this movie is meticulously crafted to create a perfect and unforeseeable plot twist. This is one of my favorite movies ever because of it's twisted comedy, intelligent story, awesome directing from David Fincher, as always, and it's awesome plot twist. Fight Club deserves all the praise it can get. I recommend this to any dark-comedy fans and any David Fincher fans. because this is by far one of his best movies.
½ July 19, 2016
This movie is about a troubled man who meets a stranger and they decide to open up an underground boxing club which eventually grows out of control. The movie is dark and unorthodox. The brutality helps drive the movie and it shows how a simple fighting group can go out of control and take a dramatic turn. It has a surprising twist ending which will knock you out cold. It was very surprising and I liked the choice it made. The movie gives clues throughout the movie that most if not all people would miss the first viewings which leaves room for re-watching it. Every time I give it another viewing, there is always something new to be found. Many people might turn away when they see the brutality but it didn't bother me. What makes this movie so special is that it dared to go where no film has ever attempted to go before and that's what makes it so special. I think that this is one of the best movies of the 90's. Its creativity can inspire hours of discussing and it will be a film which will probably age well.
July 18, 2016
Well I finally watched it. I have to say i didn't love it. I did enjoy the beginning of the movie and the premise. Then the movie got weird and started to make no sense. The ending was also stupid and ruined whatever fun was left in the movie.
July 14, 2016
When a depressed man meets a strange soap salesman named Tyler Durden, his apartment burns down and he soon finds himself living with Tyler. They are very bored and decide to form a fight club. Fight club has terrific performances from Brad Pitt and Edward Norton, great direction, and one of the best movie twists of all time. Overall, Fight Club is one of the best movies ever made.
July 13, 2016
On a technical level, Fight Club is a perfect film with perfect direction. Morally it presents the problem of materialism and all that our society values and puts it at odds with another problem: freedom...well at least not true freedom, more like anarchy. The film is really about finding meaning and purpose in the context of today's society and it does so in a satirical comedic way.
½ July 11, 2016
An interesting, thought provoking movie at how one man can start something horrible.
½ July 8, 2016
I watched Fight Club when I was 14 and now watching it a third time at 20 I realized I only like about half of the movie after the second half the film kinda loses me. The movie just works
July 8, 2016
Cuando rompen la 4ta pared y nada es lo que parece...película perfecta.
½ July 6, 2016
True beautiful madness... 4.5/5
July 2, 2016
Best fucking movie ever
July 1, 2016
Mad and crazy, "Fight Club" is a unique story that will leaving you stunned with its dark comic drama.

Edward Norton plays the role of a young man stuck in a lousy world where he suffers insomnia and addiction. On one lonely flight, he meets Tyler Durden, a man who sells soap. Tyler begins to teach him that pain and misfortune are valuable things to experience in life and together, they form Fight Club.

This is one of those movies where if you haven't watched it, find a copy ASAP before it gets spoiled for you. I actually went a long time without having this movie spoiled for me until just a few days ago. Although the big surprise was ruined for me, I was still able to view this movie with fresh eyes and an open mind. In that, I think that it's fair to say that this will definitely be considered a classic, no matter how disillusioned or awkward this movie may be at times.

This is definitely one of the more interesting stories I've gotten to see and since I really knew nothing about it going into it, I won't talk too much about what this movie is about. Let me just say that this movie is definitely a dark comedy and one that delivers a unique story. There are so many different lessons and messages that can be taken away from this film that there's not much point in talking about them, but just know that they're there. If anyone is looking for a well written story that's gritty and satire, this is the right place to go.

One thing I did and didn't like was the fourth wall breaking narration of the film. I guess you can't really call it fourth wall breaking because Norton is considered to be the narrator, but it felt like it to me. It just made some things very awkward and convoluted at times, while being kind of a cheap way to advance the story. I get that it adds to the comedic and darker style that the film is trying to go for, but I just don't think that they had to go in that direction.

One thing I really liked was the dark comedy in this movie. It definitely worked in the sense that although the movie made me laugh, I laughed at things that I probably shouldn't have. Obviously that's the goal of a movie like this and I loved it. There were so many comedic and crazy moments that just got me going and this is definitely a dark comedy for the ages.

Admittedly, I was very underwhelmed by about the first quarter - first third of the entire film. I recognize that attempts were being made to understand Norton's character more and I appreciate that, but the narration to me just made it all kind of boring. I was never really hooked until Brad Pitt was introduced and they formed their club together and until then, it felt like an awkward, bumpy ride. It felt like the movie didn't know where it wanted to go and it definitely stopped this movie from being flat out amazing.

The performances in this movie were definitely something to recognize. Although I like Edward Norton, I only thought he did a good job in this movie, not great. I felt like he played the part to the best of his ability, but I honestly don't envision him being the best option for this role. I understand that his character is supposed to be the other side of Brad Pitt's character, but he's still the weaker half between the two. Brad Pitt on the other hand put on a crazy and strong act here. Every time he was on screen, I was either laughing or intrigued by what he was saying. His character is so chaotic that it makes the movie feel spontaneous and daring, and he was the best part of this movie.

In the end, there's not much I want to say about this movie without actually spoiling anything. Here, it sounds like I had more negatives to say than positives, but it really was a great film. It is confusing at times, but it's interesting, satirical, and controversial in all the best ways.
June 30, 2016
THERE ARE SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW, READ FURTHER AT YOUR OWN WILL AND RISK.

Rule number one about Fight Club, you do not talk bad about Fight Club. Even though this film's story was adapted from a book with the same name Fight Club, but the movie still adds it's own twists. The smart foreshadowing used by the director as well as the editors is worth appreciation. The story itself feels like a piece of art, the movie is one as well. All the actors present in this movie gave phenomenal performances for their roles. Also, once you watch this movie, you might feel the urge to watch it again, and with a different perspective. The ending, I think of it as a metaphor, it's quite obvious once you watch the movie.
June 23, 2016
This movie is so good
June 21, 2016
In my view point it greatly showed the inter conflict of a being
June 14, 2016
NO SPOILERS IN THIS REVIEW

Let's break the 1st rule of fight club, and talk about fight club, because this film is definitely worth discussing and viewing! From what I've read about the movie Fight Club, it did disappointing business at the box office. The film was advertised as a action, bare knuckle underground fight film. A Jean - Claude Van Damme film like Kickboxer and Bloodsport but with a larger budget. I believe it was advertised this way, because Jean - Claude Van Damme movies are popular, and the rise and popularity of WWE's Attitude Era. They should have marketed/advertised the film as a action, horror, Psycho thriller, and what many people (including myself)would consider to be a classic film. I believe Fight Club is a rare example of the movie being better than the book. I love the book, it is one of my favorites to read. However, director David Fincher (Gone Girl, Seven) takes a very good book, and crafts it into an exceptional film. This film has a great deal of humor, violence, character development, bizarre pranks (Tyler Durden Editing family films), Easter eggs, a mind bending 3rd act (that makes you question the main characters sanity along with yours), a clear story, references, characters you can relate to,and everything we can ask for in filmmaking. I truly believe this is an exceptional film. This is not only one of the greatest films of the 1990's, but in cinema history. Thank you for everyone who was involved with Fight Club, everyone from the amazing novel to the amazing film. Fight Club from me gets a 10/10. Thank you for reading, & have an amazing day as always. :)
June 12, 2016
After hearing so much about this cult classic, I was slightly disappointed. Still pretty good. Pitt and Norton were a nice lead pair.
June 11, 2016
This was a battle between the kind of normative complacency we see everyday, meaning lugging the proverbial Sisyphean boulder up the damn hill, which we all do, complainingly, and the fantasy to defy the mundanity of our lifestyles and do something actually meaningful. The film itself also battles simultaneously with the kind of message it wants to send, and unfortunately it sends a rather anticlimactic one ultimately-we will lose the battle with our rebellious and idealistic selves, and we will continue to follow our Sisyphean path, sadly.