First Man - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

First Man Reviews

½ January 15, 2019
A bit too long and too slow for my taste. It certainly isn't going to be a classic like Apollo 13, but it was enjoyable. Even more so (I imagine) if you're into the "human" aspect of the first journey to the Moon. My only real qualm is that Gosling is...not a good actor. Woulda made this a full star better movie.
½ January 15, 2019
A brave and interesting telling of the moon landing story. The technical background is particularly well managed but the lack of charisma of the principle characters makes life on earth a bit dull.
½ January 15, 2019
With an ugly, manly, ill-tempered partner like that, no wonder the eagle wanted to fly as far away as the moon itself.

Its unbelievable how shattered and disappointed she was when he returned back. I so feel for him... he was forced to return back because there was no oxygen on the moon.

Avoid this OSCAR-NEEDY film. Save your time.
½ January 14, 2019
While elements of Damien Chazelle's previous work is visible, he goes against his previous award contenders with something deeply personal, gritty and often pretty dark. The personal story him and Gosling look to portray is executed pretty well as the subtle performance and story, gives us something different as we see a man dealing with grief on multiple levels. The wonder and awe of the event of the moon landing is still given to us, while historical elements are sprinkled in throughout, which might disappoint those who want a straight forward retelling of the story. The music is fantastic, with great sound and visual editing from the film makers who all add to the often eerie, intense and scary atmosphere the film creates, which while has been done by many other similar projects before, the technology of this era is what sets it apart. The scary feel can be distressing at the wrong moments but also adds to the courage and bravery displayed by the real members of this monumental mission all those years ago.
January 14, 2019
First Man is a beautiful movie. I love the Directors earlier films. This movie, First Man, is close to being a Masterpiece. I live the acting for all the actors. The sound is beautiful and so is the visuals. It's pretty flawless. I would have liked to see more technical explanations but it's not a requirement. My only complaint is that it was too short. I wish it was another hour longer. But the best movies always leave you wanting more.
½ January 14, 2019
Honestly just a poorly developed and executed movie. Extremely slow and disjointed story line, the key moments just weren't built up enough and didn't connect, and even the ending was a total flop. Really big disappointment.
January 13, 2019
What b him be a jerk to his wife for two hours
½ January 13, 2019
Not great. It takes some poor direction to make an empath feel nothing about multiple (real) people dying. It's a two and a half hour nap. Save your money.
January 13, 2019
A tedious and charisma free slog through the history of the moon landing.
January 12, 2019
This is an absolutely engrossing, beautiful, unique film. I cannot believe the mixed audience reception. It's a masterpiece.
January 12, 2019
Slow movie. Collage of pictures with no story line. I tried to watch to twice. Not interesting unless you want to be an astronaut. Too many empty spaces!!
½ January 12, 2019
This movie includes awful special effects and an overblown tendency for making Neil look like an incompetent pilot during his early days. Anyone who has spent one day in the cockpit of an aircraft or a search on YouTube for an actual space launch knows this is just movie drama. Neil was a quiet professional and a family man. This movie is another example of compressing the real story into something that will keep movie-goers engaged for a couple of hours. This movie fails in both respects.
January 12, 2019
Great cast, but a boring retelling of the same old story. Nothing new, I was relieved when it was over so I could leave.
January 12, 2019
Another film where Ryan Gosling shows his acting versatility. The film provides an insight into Neil Armstrong's life that I hadn't known. His monumental step on the moon was already depicted as an adventurous, heroic and exciting. It was scary and dangerous for obvious reasons, but the film provides a fresh insight into the struggles he had to endure.
½ January 12, 2019
Boring. Too long. And I don't trust that we ever made it to the moon. :)
January 11, 2019
a better movie and documentary about astronauts
½ January 11, 2019
First nomination for a best picture win? Or perhaps it would make for a nice tribute to what was made out of a real event.
January 11, 2019
Slow, disjointed, and confusing. I found myself very uncomfortable with the unconnected vignettes of story telling. Even though I lived through these events, I was confused about what was going on in many parts of the film.
½ January 10, 2019
I saw this at a screening before it came out. I can appreciate the subject matter but I thought they could have made a much more exciting movie at least one that would keep you awake.There were people all around me that were falling asleep during the screening. I even dozed off a couple of times and I never do that. It was a well-made movie it was just extremely slow throughout.
January 10, 2019
Boring and slow. Acting was less than polished.