The Five Senses Reviews

• Mar 16, 2019

Gets better with each year and each viewing. This is a masterpiece but most critics were too ego-driven or too-stupid to see when it was first released.

• Robert B Super Reviewer
    Oct 08, 2015

The Five Senses is your (mostly) typical indie urban drama with intersecting lives and stories. The vibe is very late nineties and overall it is nicely done in terms of acting and directing. Something about it makes me rate it a bit higher than films like "13 Conversations About One Thing". I think (contrary to some other reviewers) that it has more heart and a better sense of humor than similar dramas.

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Apr 29, 2014

I like movies that make me think - especially when they interweave the characters

• Mar 07, 2014

Interesting that all of the senses here are associated with loss. Rona, who represents taste, has lost her sense of taste. Richard (hearing) is going deaf. Richard (hearing) is going deaf, Robert (smell) is trying to determine by said sense if any of his former lovers, whom he has lost, still love him, and Ruth, a message therapist (touch) has lost her husband and is reminded of the loss by touching others who feel similar to him. Rupert (sight) has lost the ability to fell anything emotionally because of his voyeurism. In the end, most of these feelings of loss are replaced by feelings of hope, but the web site here is wrong when they label this film as a drama and comedy both, for there is absolutely nothing remotely funny about this piece of cinema. Beautiful and touching, yes, but funny, no! The music used in the soundtrack is haunting and lovely.

• Jan 24, 2014

Beautifully contemplative ... mind not the melancholy.

Beautifully contemplative ... mind not the melancholy.

• Jan 09, 2011

Decent piece about various characters looking/longing for many things that have themes with the human senses. But a rather blah movie.

• Nov 12, 2010

This film is beautifully poetic in its construction. Wonderfully scripted and georgously shot, it's an interesting concept, trying to show the world through the character's basic senses, and while it does kind of beat you over the head with the idea of the five senses (you have a cake decorator, an ear doctor, a masuse) it does so ever so subly if that is possible. Ambiguous, up-lifting and depressing all at once.

• Oct 03, 2010

Maybe not my type of movie ... it just bored me. :(

Maybe not my type of movie ... it just bored me. :(

• Apr 18, 2010

Horrible, Horrible, Horrible! Things really are NOT what they seem. This movie is a perfect example how you might find yourself saying, "okay...so far so good...I think, but whatever...I'll give it the benefit of the doubt". My advice to you, Don't. Unless you find yourself content to spend your time on pure disappointment...Or you just like being a bummer person. God bless you!

• Feb 18, 2010