Fletch Reviews

• 2d ago

I've never seen these movies but I'm a fan of handsome Chevy Chase in the 80s. Well this a prime example of what made him a star. The movie has this slick, savvy, sarcastic humor running through out it that really works. He stars as a reporter who becomes embroiled in a big scheme. He of course solves it and makes sure to make fun of lots of people along the way. The movie has slight pacing issues like most comedies in that time but feels more modern and successful than most.

• Jan 08, 2020

Chevy Chase doing what he does best, being funny. One of the best comedies of the 80’s.

• Nov 12, 2019

A good but not great Chevy Chase comedy

A good but not great Chevy Chase comedy

• Sep 10, 2019

Most people today do not realize how popular Chevy Chase was in the 80s. With his slapstick, physical humor (so well portrayed on SNL) abilities Chase soon became a popular figure on television and Fletch is one of those earlier films where he branched out onto the big screen. For Chase fans there's a lot to like here, for others, maybe not as much. The character of Fletch is so overwhelmed by Chase's personality that there's not much left and this becomes a distraction. It's hard to take anything in the film seriously, even to the extent one would expect in a comedy. Fletch suffers from a problem that afflicts many mystery-comedies in that it has problems delineating the line between farce and story. In Fletch, the push-pull between the two poles results in an uneven and ultimately unsatisfying result. Having said this, Chevy Chase fans will delight, and there is indeed a reason Fletch is a cult classic today- its star's presence looms large.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best comedy movie ever made!

The best comedy movie ever made!

• Jan 24, 2019

Loads of fun. Aside from Griswold, this is probably Chase's best role. Just such a great send up and the perfect vehicle for his talents.

• Oct 18, 2018

I don’t know what it is about Chevy Chase’s comedic delivery, but it always works for me. He also has a superb grasp on physical comedy, which is just as effective. There are very few comedies where he fails to get me laughing out loud, and Fletch was no exception. In this movie he gets to play someone that fits with his real personality off screen (at least based on what I’ve heard about him.) Fletch is cocky, he doesn’t mind taking advantage of others and thinking of himself first, and he is willing to create humor at the expense of others. But it all works for me because the character pushes boundaries just enough to make it all hilarious. There’s something charming about him despite the boorish behavior, so I laugh at him charging thousands on another man’s credit card, instead of seeing him as a jerk. The only aspect of the comedy that fell a little flat for me were the costumes and disguises that he wears throughout the film to conceal his identity. The situations were still funny, but the act of throwing on a mask didn’t add much to it. However, his use of ridiculously-named aliases wherever he went made me laugh every time. Fletch is more than just a straight comedy, too. The film includes a good mystery that keeps the plot moving forward. It’s not the most complicated puzzle, so it doesn’t take much to put the pieces together, but it still has enough intrigue to keep things interesting. I didn’t predict every detail of the plot up front, so that’s a good sign. The rest of the cast does an admirable job playing off Chevy Chase, and I liked how everyone else acts like they’re in a normal movie while he is doing outrageous stuff right next to them. There were so many familiar faces that popped up in the film that it made me nostalgic for the 1980s. My one complaint about the cast would be that Geena Davis didn’t get enough to do. She is such a great actress, and her brief scenes were awesome, so more of her in the movie would have only been an improvement. There wasn’t much that I disliked in Fletch, and I could go on writing about it, but comedy isn’t as powerful when you start explaining it. It’s a movie that clicked with me on every level and I can’t wait to watch it again, and to seek out the sequel.

• Oct 12, 2018

I know we're all wondering when is Chubby Chase going to do another Fletch movie it's been a long time since we've seen Fletch I think we would like to know where he is now

• Jun 04, 2018

Fletch is king of the funny quotes jungle.

Fletch is king of the funny quotes jungle.

• Apr 12, 2018

Fletch is Chevy Chase at his silly best.

Fletch is Chevy Chase at his silly best.