Fog City Mavericks Reviews

• Jul 18, 2013

Entertaining if overly reverent.

Entertaining if overly reverent.

• Nov 12, 2011

An amazing cinematic timeline that emphasizes the film contributions of many northern California filmakers; which is one history lesson you don't want to miss.

• Mar 05, 2011

Solid, if overlong talking heads documentary about San Francisco filmmakers (did we really need a segment on Chris Columbus?) Most of this is stuff I already knew, but it's presented in a fun way, and there were a few nuggets of new information in there.

• Feb 20, 2011

Well made documentary on San Francisco Bay Area filmmakers including George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, Clint Eastwood, Chris Columbus, and producer Saul Zaentz. Recommended

• Nov 04, 2010

A well done documentary. It's probably not the most honest it could be -- a little too much admiration for artists/condemnation of corporate hacks, not always enough attention to whether the art made is any good -- but I like its approach to San Francisco's film scene: from personal to professional to cultural, it's a nice progression. No matter the particular material at any one time, the city is not far from the documentarian's gaze, which is always a strength in a movie like this. After a preface that gets a little excitable (just a mish-mash of clips: um... okay. I have no idea yet what you're saying about them), it manages to calm down and lay out a coherent story. George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola, jumping back in time to Eadweard Muybridge, then forward to Clint Eastwood... it's a long list, but the thesis of the film (something like "SF is a great place for filmmaking because it's close to yet far from LA, and look at all these talented people!") comes through as a great paean to iconoclasm, independence, and the artistic gifts of "pure cinema" and "personal film." I'm a little surprised by the seeming schizophrenia in its satisfaction with box office success. On the one hand, you're praising art and dismissing Hollywood, and at the same time indulging in one of Hollywood's stupid dances? Okay. That's a little more complicated, I suppose... so whatever, no big deal.

• Jan 26, 2010

If you are interested in the spirit of indpendent film making u should enjoy this. Interesting subject matter. I enjoyed the George Lucas, Francis Ford Coppola and Saul Zaentz sections the most. Wish they had gone into more detail as to why and how THX 38 failed at the box office, for it is possibly Lucas's best film ever.

• Nov 28, 2009

This is good if you want to know stuff about people that left the Hollywood paradigm. I think the biggest problem with this is that it jerks around way too much making it very difficult to remember stuff they just talked about.

• Sep 18, 2009

Another great documentary about film and filmmakers. This one focuses on San Francisco area filmmakers who just so happen to be among our best. Great film for fans of films!

• Jun 23, 2009

I love this documentary, it's one of my favorite movies and it gives me inspiration every time I watch it. I feel like I can just go out and make a movie after watching it.

• Feb 23, 2009

An interesting look at at San Francisco filmmakers and how they shaped the film industry forever. It gave me more respect for folks like George Lucas and Francis FOrd Coppola than ever.