Friday - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday Reviews

½ May 9, 2017
It is Friday and Craig Jones (Ice Cube) is unemployed, having, yesterday, been fired. He is lounging around his house with his friend Smokey (Chris Tucker), a rather incompetent weed dealer. Smokey's problem is that he tends to smoke, rather than sell, his product. This has lead to trouble with Smokey's supplier, Big Worm, who now wants his money, or his product back, or Smokey is a dead man. Then there's Deebo, the local bully, plus Craig's jealous, psychotic girlfriend, Joi, and Debbie, the neighbour Craig has a crush on. A lot can happen while lounging around your house on a Friday.

Good fun. The first movie written by Ice Cube, of NWA fame, and the first movie directed by F Gary Gray, who would go on to direct Straight Outta Compton, the movie on NWA. Pretty funny, with a nice relaxed sort of feel.

Some good themes towards the end, especially the anti-gun violence stance.

Solid performances all round. Ice Cube and Chris Tucker make a good combination - Tucker as the over-the-top, extroverted Smokey and Ice Cube as the more straight-playing Craig.
½ May 6, 2017
I've never wanted to see a character get killed more than Chris Tucker. Sooo... don't use a gun...but use bricks?!
May 5, 2017
Friday should be an atonal disaster. Instead, it's only a slightly uneven 90s (VERY 90s) romp. At this time, what much of America had written off as savage and brutish, Friday gave an entertaining and human face. Simplistically presented but complexly impactful.
May 3, 2017
In the early to mid 1990s, films about the "hood" were often portrayed as violent, drug-infested and gangs. With the 1995 movie Friday, the "hood" takes a comedic bent, showing the lighter sides of living in the hood. F. Gary Gray, then a rookie director lays it out perfectly. Ice Cube, who was then only known for his gangsta rap and portrayal of a troubled gang-youth Dough Boy in Boyz n the Hood and Afro-centric college student mentor in Higher Learning exhibits for the first time his comedic talents without trying to be funny.

The person who steals the show for most of the movie is comedian and actor Chris Tucker with his high-pitched voice and excellent comedic timing.

I find it as an enjoyable movie to watch with a cast of characters that weave the story through from start to finish.
April 27, 2017
Depending on your neighborhood you come form or even live in now the movie might be more amusing and entertaining. The dialogue in the film has very high volume might be hard to understand to ones who don't know the about the movies environment but it's still worth the watch.
March 18, 2017
The funniest movie of the 90s. a classic that is still funny over 20 years later. Ice Cubes greatest achievement.
March 16, 2017
100% Classic. The only thing wrong with this movie is that it spawned "Next Friday" and "Friday After Next".
March 6, 2017
3/5/2017: A good movie and already a classic.
½ February 26, 2017
One of the best comedy movies EVER!
February 17, 2017
Classic, I don't care what anybody says. One of the most quotable movies of all time.
February 8, 2017
classic but not the best one .
½ January 28, 2017
Digging deeper than it appears, Friday exposes the best of Ice Cube.
½ January 5, 2017
If this movie didnt have John Witherspoon's character in it, it probably wouldnt be much of a movie. He makes it. Every scene with him is gold.
½ December 31, 2016
Friday is probably in my favorites rated R movie well my second favorite rated R movie, I like Friday a lot not only because a lot of people like it but because it's a good movie it's a pretty good movie
December 13, 2016
Where Friday benefits the most in in the comedic performances, and not so much the story.
½ October 6, 2016
Good movie, some references are a bit dated but the rest of the film makes up for it and as always John Witherspoon brings in the big laughs with his character and overall most actors do a great job although the star of this (ice cube) was clearly less educated on how to act than the rest of the cast.
August 30, 2016
An honest recommendation. . . from a white guy.
August 19, 2016
Two slackers spend their Friday getting high and taking on the neighborhood bully. Normally I don't care for these kind of one dimensional comedies, however this comedy has character depth and the entire cast is wonderful in their respective roles which made me forget how simple the storyline is.
½ July 19, 2016
One of the best stoner comedies ever made, thanks to Ice Cube and the hilarious Chris Tucker.
½ July 18, 2016
I remember all the time that my parents would say how rememberable and classic the film "Friday" is, and just recently I decided to check it out. Overall, it's a basic stoner buddy comedy film from the 90's, with nothing too amazing about it, it's just a enjoyable movie. Throughout times I laughed and overall, really enjoyed it.