Friday Reviews

• Jun 19, 2020

Hysterical! Friday Is Off The Charts Awesome!

Hysterical! Friday Is Off The Charts Awesome!

• Jun 17, 2020

So, let me get this straight, this classic 90s comedy that I’ve heard people talk about for decades is literally just two stoners sitting on a porch for 90 minutes? Boy, I did not get Friday at all. I suppose there’s a semblance of a plot, because Chris Tucker has smoked too much of the weed he was meant to sell so they need to gather $200 before the end of the day. I also recognize that I’m exaggerating about the whole movie being planted on that porch, but there doesn’t feel like much movement in the story, and they are constantly coming back to that porch as a sort of homebase. I think my big problem was that I didn’t care about any of the things that they were doing. These idiots get themselves into a stupid situation, so it’s hard for me to sympathize with the journey they take to get out of it. Perhaps I could get over my disinterest in the plot if I was laughing, but the humor also fell flat for me. Occasionally there would be a line delivery or a reaction shot that would get me to chuckle, but by and large, I wasn’t even cracking a smile. I suppose there must be some disconnect since I’m not in the “target demographic,” but I think true comedy should work no matter your age, race, gender, or any other factor like that. However, comedy is ridiculously subjective, so I’m sure there are plenty of people who find this stuff hilarious and would scoff at what I consider “true comedy.” I wasn’t a huge fan of the way Friday casually handles violence, because it doesn’t seem like something that should be taken lightly. There were minor moments or scenes in Friday that I found engaging, but most of the way through it felt like a colossal waste of time.

• Jun 10, 2020

Absolutely nothing of interest happens in this film.

Absolutely nothing of interest happens in this film.

• May 17, 2020

A really good comedy movie, Craig Jones (Ice Cube) and Smokey (Chris Tucker) have got some great funny moments throughout this amazing movie.

• May 16, 2020

This will forever be Ice Cubes best work. This movie will make you laugh until the end. Chris Tucker is at his best. A true classic that will be around forever.

• Apr 27, 2020

for 1995: who knows what goes down on one Friday of the week? anything wacky to downright dangerous this is one of the most memorale/quotable comedies featuring rapper Ice Cube and comedian Chris Tucker Craig and Smokey are best buds from the 'hood' but they both have troubling dilemmas; for one thing Craig has no job and he's in trouble for stealing cardboard boxes while Smokey being a dope dealer smoked all the marijuana he was supposed to safeguard so now he has to find a way to make $200 or else he's in for a heap of trouble they're followed by an impressive cast from the likes of the late John Witherspoon to Nia Long to Regina King to Michael Clarke Duncan to Tommy 'Tiny' Lister tons of funny lines and many quotes that still stick today it also shows how serious Ice Cube can be working with a talented comedian like Tucker actually not a bad mixture of a stoner comedy taking place in South Central Los Angeles Cube and Tucker make this 'hood' feature worth it

• Apr 12, 2020

Certified hood classic

Certified hood classic

• Apr 11, 2020

Funny stupid and will leave you laughing like crazy.

Funny stupid and will leave you laughing like crazy.

• Mar 19, 2020

A Pure Joy! A Day in the Hood has never been so funny!

A Pure Joy! A Day in the Hood has never been so funny!

• Mar 18, 2020

There's no plot or anything engaging in "Friday". As simple as the title is, it depicts a loose and satirical suburb with some very memorable scenes and lines. Clearly a fun effort from everyone involved, but believe me when I say that this is some lightweight stuff. Take it or leave it.