From the Terrace Reviews

• Feb 25, 2020

You'll never forget Myrna Loy's performance.

You'll never forget Myrna Loy's performance.

• Mar 25, 2018

Just as disappointing as the other John O'Hara novel made into a movie that year, Butterfield 8 with Liz Taylor, but without that film's melodramatic juice, though Paul Newman is well cast as the ambitious, upwardly mobile man in moral crisis.

• Apr 25, 2017

A mediocre rehash of The Young Philadelphians.

A mediocre rehash of The Young Philadelphians.

• Jun 02, 2015

Overwrought Melodrama, But Great Score If you love soap opera, you will find a lot to like here. But, to me, soap opera mainly means overcooked melodrama. To make it work means deploying a cast of carefully-crafted characters. But, this film has mostly standard-order characters. There are lots of very good actors here. The director is the highly skilled Mark Robson. And, none other than Ernest Lehman is the screenwriter. But, if all that talent is in service to routine daytime-drama-level stuff, you can only go so far with it. The actor, and character, who shines in this is Ina Balin, who had a pretty quiet career for the most part, but is unforgettable in this film. The other highlight is Elmer Bernstein, whose score is much more beautiful than this movie deserves!

• Apr 21, 2015

From the Terrace is an excellent film. It is about an ambitious young executive who chooses a loveless marriage and an unfulfilling personal life in exchange for a successful Wall Street career. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward give incredible performances. The screenplay is well written. Mark Robson did a great job directing this movie. I enjoyed watching this motion picture because of the drama. From the Terrace is a must see.

• Mar 27, 2015

the story was nothing special but you can't lose with Paul Newman. seriously Jim was her choice to cheat on Alfred? was she blind?

• Apr 10, 2014

You're not big enough to walk in my shadow and you never will be. David 'Alfred' Eaton returns home from the military to discover that his mom is an alcoholic and his father, who is a successful businessman, has driven her into the arms of another by his ambitions. Alfred sweeps in, beats up his mom's lover, and swears to never become like his father. To prove himself, he sets a goal to make $5 million by 40 and heads for New York with his new sweet heart. They marry, he gets accepted into a firm, and he starts his rise to power; the problem, to accomplish his goal, he may become a little more like his father than he anticipated. "I needed love wherever I could find it." "Love? You're a pig." Mark Robson, director of Valley of the Dolls, Earthquake, Von Ryan's Express, Peyton Place, Trial, Hell Below Zero, The Ghost Ship (1943), Bedlam, and Isle of the Dead, delivers From the Terrace. The storyline for this picture is magnificent and reminded me of A Long Hot Summer. The characters are very dynamic and the story unfolds perfectly. The acting is perfect and the cast includes Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward, Patrick O'Neal, Myrna Loy, Leon Ames, and Barbara Eden. "Why don't you leave before I pull you out of that cab and bust your nose for you?" I grabbed this movie off Netflix because it stars one of my all time favorites, Paul Newman. The main character was perfect for his demeanor and the script was very well written. The dynamic between Woodward and Newman was perfect and the overall execution of the film was better than I anticipated. I strongly recommend seeing this all time classic. "You can get more flies with molasses than you can with vinegar." Grade: A-

• Apr 05, 2014

Look up "boring" in the dictionary and it simply says "watch From the Terrace and you'll understand the true meaning of this word."

• Oct 18, 2011

Man could Paul Newman brood like no bodies business, and he does that perfectly in this movie about relationships and business. There were a few times while watching this that I just wanted to smack some the characters, as they continued to make mistake after mistake, but it does highlight human weakness and greed, and it ends on a good note and terrific speech from Newman.

• Jul 30, 2011

I thought this movie was superb and I look forward to reading the novel. Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward were both equally amazing. The music score by the great Elmer Bernstein was also quite remarkable.