Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

November 12, 2017
A remarkable film about the triumph of the human spirit. (First and only viewing - 11/12/2017)
November 12, 2017
A chilling but provocative story brought to life masterfully by its direction.
October 21, 2017
A bit too much manufactured tension and not enough pay off
October 18, 2017
Very 90's style but still a very good film. We could tell you the same story from a non-liberal point of view: in fact there's a Resistance, and a world out there, but the film prefers the hero, the individual, his personal drama, and challenges.
½ October 2, 2017
Smart science fiction set in a future where people are genetically tested at birth and their lot is life is set from that point forward. Ethan Hawke plays a man who's genetics determined he live a life be as a simple laborer, but he's more ambitions and decides to pose as the genetically superior Jude Law, who's in chaoots with Hawke to hide the fact that he's been crippled in an accident. The film works well as a straight forward sci-fi thriller about Hawke trying to hide his true identity from the cops, but what makes this film special is that it also works brilliantly on a more intellectual level as a story about class, privacy, ethics of reproductive technologies, as well as larger topics of destiny. Besides having a smart subtext, the film also works on an emotional level where you really care about the characters. The relationship between Hawke and Uma Thurman, who plays a wonderful ice queen, is riveting. Does she love Hawke or does she love what his genetics (i.e. class, wealth, reputation)? If this film had been made in the 1950s, Grace Kelly would have been perfect of the role. There are also strong supporting performances by Ernest Borgnine as an elderly janitor who gives Hawke depressing life lessons from the underclass before Hawke assumes his new identity, Gore Vidal as a pompous executive, and Alan Arkin as a subordinate detective who's actually onto Hawke but his suspicions dismissed by his genetically superior lead detective. I'd put "Gattaca" among the best science fiction films of the last 20 years, alongside "Inception," "Primer," and "Ex-Machina."
September 29, 2017
It's something I would watch in a 7th grade science class but it was entertaining enough.
September 27, 2017
I was not keen to watch this movie when it was screened here. No big stars, unknown director (Andrew Niccol) and a sci-fi thriller? I just don't have a good feeling about it. It was when Simone, the director's following effort, was reviewed that this film was mentioned and that this movie was much superior. That aroused my interest...

What an irony! Don't label something so fast without letting it prove itself - that's exactly the message in this movie.

The movie impressed me from the start. Clever lines. Clever plot twists. A clever story idea (read up the trivia too!) and a cleverer execution of a thriller. In lesser hands, it would be made into another run-of-the-mill fast-paced actioner. But Andrew chooses to tell the story in a way it will provoke our thoughts. In one deleted scene (only in the DVD), it shows a series of great people (JFK, Einstein, Abraham Lincoln etc) with 'defects'. Just imagine, if a system like the one in the movie was adopted earlier, they would be classified as 'In-valids' and deemed 'underclass'.
½ September 11, 2017
Nice visuals, but the story could have been better
½ September 10, 2017
Nice visual style, but the story could have been better.
½ August 27, 2017
Hmmm. I seem to have already rated this movie even though I don't really remember watching it before. Maybe I have though... It was a decent movie. Interesting ideas, but not much emotional appeal. Uma Thurman is great as always.
½ July 26, 2017
This is a fascinating and brilliant film which gets better the more you see it. It's set in the future when genes can be manipulated to produce children that are physically and mentally well above average. This film looks at those people who are not above average, and the lengths they go to to fit in and succeed. This film shouldn't work but does.
July 26, 2017
Little known film with big actors and a powerful story-line!
July 21, 2017
An understated film, both a parable on adversity, ambition and brotherhood, and a plausible prediction of our future.
½ July 7, 2017
A fresh idea about genetic manipulation; however, some parts needed more development and explanation
June 13, 2017
Meh. Not my type of movie.
April 7, 2017
Really good Sci-Fi movie about the future. What if success was based on complete scientific genetically grown predictability and not random genetic births? I really enjoyed it. A bit emotionless so it doesn't have much melodrama which can be somewhat dull at times.
March 6, 2017
Neat concept and story. A unique sci-fi flick.
½ March 4, 2017
To chase a dream....steal a body.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B
'Gattaca' is a fine movie, with good performances, an interesting story, and a shocking ending. However, even with all of the movies thought provoking themes, something just wasn't working as it should. I found myself not as affected by the movies themes as I should have been, and odd character choices detracted from the movies overall quality.
½ February 21, 2017
Futuristic society where elite manufactored DNA is way superior than human-born. Not far from 1984, Equlibrium or Brazil in its world-view, yet still relevant for whats gonna crash our realm.