Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

February 8, 2018
Interesting movie, plot could have been more interesting but interesting intellectual problems.
February 3, 2018
Checked this one out after a recommendation from a good friend and I'm glad I finally caught this one. Set in the near future where society bases everything on your genetic make up. People are treated badly who are deemed "inferior" by which i mean their genes are predicted to make them weak. These people are regulated to menial tasks and can't work the better jobs. We follow a genetic inferior man named Vincent Freeman (Ethan Hawke) who has always dreamed about being an astronaut sent to space. Unfortunately, because Vincent has inferior genes he's predicted to only last 30 years because of a heart condition. Vincent finds help from a seedy man who introduces Vincent to Jerome Morrow (Jude Law) a wheelchair bound man who has perfect genetics. Jerome is a shell of his former self and agrees to help Vincent "transform." Vincent uses uring, blood and skin samples from Jerome to pass as him (including a few other unorthodox methods). Vincent passes as Jerome for years at Gattaca Aerospace Corporation eventually leading him to be sent on a space mission. A week before though the Director of the company is murdered and an eyelash from Vincent leads the detectives to believe he is the killer. During the investigation Vincent falls for another employee named Irene (Uma Thurman) who slowly realizes there's more to Vincent then she suspects. Vincent must work to protect his identity, throw off the detectives and think about what really makes up a person. The film is quite well done! It's a bit dated for a movie that came out 21 years ago, but it never takes away from it. There's a lot of great cinematography and I really enjoyed the score here. The film has a lot of great moments where the very notion of someone's life being determined is all up to the person not what they're made of. I enjoyed Hawke and Law's performances here and enjoyed this one quite a bit. I saw a lot of parallels with this film and also In Time (2011) both having been directed by Andrew Niccol. Both films have that central story of people living in a dystopian society where something else controls the outcome of their live. Solid sci-fi give it a look!
January 30, 2018
Oldie but goodie sci-fi!
January 1, 2018
A remarkable film about the triumph of the human spirit. (First and only viewing - 11/12/2017)
December 30, 2017
Stylish, futuristic film noire about a dystopian society where status revolves around genetic viability. Uma Thurman's icy cool stoic charm plays well against (her future real life husband) Ethan Hawke's anxious but driven risky gambler. Their convincing chemistry centres the complex plot around a throughly believable "man chasing after unattainable woman" nucleus.

Jude Law provides exceptional support as a "broken ladder", a failure despite superior genetic makeup. Look for author Gore Vidal in a strong performance carrying several scenes. Keen observations into humanity's prospects down the road of genetic fascism.
November 12, 2017
A chilling but provocative story brought to life masterfully by its direction.
October 21, 2017
A bit too much manufactured tension and not enough pay off
October 18, 2017
Very 90's style but still a very good film. We could tell you the same story from a non-liberal point of view: in fact there's a Resistance, and a world out there, but the film prefers the hero, the individual, his personal drama, and challenges.
½ October 2, 2017
Smart science fiction set in a future where people are genetically tested at birth and their lot is life is set from that point forward. Ethan Hawke plays a man who's genetics determined he live a life be as a simple laborer, but he's more ambitions and decides to pose as the genetically superior Jude Law, who's in chaoots with Hawke to hide the fact that he's been crippled in an accident. The film works well as a straight forward sci-fi thriller about Hawke trying to hide his true identity from the cops, but what makes this film special is that it also works brilliantly on a more intellectual level as a story about class, privacy, ethics of reproductive technologies, as well as larger topics of destiny. Besides having a smart subtext, the film also works on an emotional level where you really care about the characters. The relationship between Hawke and Uma Thurman, who plays a wonderful ice queen, is riveting. Does she love Hawke or does she love what his genetics (i.e. class, wealth, reputation)? If this film had been made in the 1950s, Grace Kelly would have been perfect of the role. There are also strong supporting performances by Ernest Borgnine as an elderly janitor who gives Hawke depressing life lessons from the underclass before Hawke assumes his new identity, Gore Vidal as a pompous executive, and Alan Arkin as a subordinate detective who's actually onto Hawke but his suspicions dismissed by his genetically superior lead detective. I'd put "Gattaca" among the best science fiction films of the last 20 years, alongside "Inception," "Primer," and "Ex-Machina."
September 29, 2017
It's something I would watch in a 7th grade science class but it was entertaining enough.
September 27, 2017
I was not keen to watch this movie when it was screened here. No big stars, unknown director (Andrew Niccol) and a sci-fi thriller? I just don't have a good feeling about it. It was when Simone, the director's following effort, was reviewed that this film was mentioned and that this movie was much superior. That aroused my interest...

What an irony! Don't label something so fast without letting it prove itself - that's exactly the message in this movie.

The movie impressed me from the start. Clever lines. Clever plot twists. A clever story idea (read up the trivia too!) and a cleverer execution of a thriller. In lesser hands, it would be made into another run-of-the-mill fast-paced actioner. But Andrew chooses to tell the story in a way it will provoke our thoughts. In one deleted scene (only in the DVD), it shows a series of great people (JFK, Einstein, Abraham Lincoln etc) with 'defects'. Just imagine, if a system like the one in the movie was adopted earlier, they would be classified as 'In-valids' and deemed 'underclass'.
½ September 11, 2017
Nice visuals, but the story could have been better
½ September 10, 2017
Nice visual style, but the story could have been better.
½ August 27, 2017
Hmmm. I seem to have already rated this movie even though I don't really remember watching it before. Maybe I have though... It was a decent movie. Interesting ideas, but not much emotional appeal. Uma Thurman is great as always.
½ July 26, 2017
This is a fascinating and brilliant film which gets better the more you see it. It's set in the future when genes can be manipulated to produce children that are physically and mentally well above average. This film looks at those people who are not above average, and the lengths they go to to fit in and succeed. This film shouldn't work but does.
July 26, 2017
Little known film with big actors and a powerful story-line!
July 21, 2017
An understated film, both a parable on adversity, ambition and brotherhood, and a plausible prediction of our future.
½ July 7, 2017
A fresh idea about genetic manipulation; however, some parts needed more development and explanation
June 13, 2017
Meh. Not my type of movie.
April 7, 2017
Really good Sci-Fi movie about the future. What if success was based on complete scientific genetically grown predictability and not random genetic births? I really enjoyed it. A bit emotionless so it doesn't have much melodrama which can be somewhat dull at times.