Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

July 24, 2016
While not quite as scientifically absorbing as the consensus suggests, Gattaca is an intriguing sci-fi movie with smart dialogue, although aside from Jude Law, the acting can be better. The quiet atmospheric style the film takes is awesome, as is the chilly vibe.
July 21, 2016
***
'Gattaca' is a fine movie, with good performances, an interesting story, and a shocking ending. However, even with all of the movies thought provoking themes, something just wasn't working as it should. I found myself not as effected by the movies themes as I should have been, and odd character choices detracted from the movies overall quality.
July 4, 2016
I loved this movie and I really cant say anything bad about it. The characters were great, and the flow of the movie was enjoyable. I have seen this four times now, and will continue to watch it periodically every few years.
June 28, 2016
Top 5 movies of all time
½ June 12, 2016
Nice 1920s futurist stuff. Directed by a Kiwi incidentally. Engaging plot and lots of style.
½ June 11, 2016
With moving brilliance, Gattaca remembers the world has no future for discrimination.
June 11, 2016
Very interesting. The science behind this movie seems reachable. A future where genetically modified babies are the norm, and natural births are non-existent. The concept of forging your own path doesn't exist. Your whole life is known ten seconds after your birth. Our main character, Vincent (or Jerome,) decides he won't be tied down by his natural birth and assumed the identity of someone else. The only problem? That's just as illegal here as it is in real life. While this prospect seems easy to screw up, Andrew Niccol handles the story with care, crafting a sci-fi drama with weight and tension. The performers do a fine job as well, complimenting the already real-feeling characters.
½ May 30, 2016
9 out of 10:

Smart, thought provoking, and well acted, Gattaca is a sci-fi drama classic.
May 30, 2016
The Noir genre mixed with futuristic sci-fi genre gives the movie its originality all while discussing a controversial topic.
½ May 23, 2016
A compelling idea from realistic fears, but this production is hampered by a few flaws - the stakes do not seem high enough (it'd be better to hear that a In-Valid guilty of fraud faces very serious consequences, as it is it seems that Hawke may be fired and serve some gaol time); Hawke's reward is... what, a holiday?; Law's ultimate end seems to come from nowhere; Dean's insertion into the plot is a little contrived; some of the cinematography seems amateurish or dated. All in all it's a solid tale, but as it stands it is not a very thrilling thriller.
May 19, 2016
Emotional and inspiring
½ May 18, 2016
I like to use the critical consensus for Rotten Tomatoes as a starting point for many of my reviews. I had not seen Gattaca in several years, and I vaguely remembered the premise. When I saw the consensus claim that the movie, "poses important interesting ethical questions about the nature of science," I was excited. As someone who has recently considered working around the bends of gene therapy (as a statistician, but still, I'll be important someday), I was curious what those questions were. Much to my disappointment, Gattaca is not what I thought it would be. I wanted a movie that not only tackled the topic of gene therapy, but truly delved into the complexities of the situation. I can sense that Gattaca wanted to do that, but somewhere, it was stopped. For example, in this utopia -- truly, this did not have the vibe of a world in greater chaos than now, which was a cinematic relief -- main character Vincent (Ethan Hawke) is what is commonly known as a "godchild," meaning he was conceived naturally instead of through genetic engineering. An old expression for such godchildren is that they are generally happier than those conceived through genetic engineering. That's an interesting idea, and the film perpetuates that through the hierarchal system established in business. No matter how high in power the "valid" people are, there is always that desire for more power. So, what I don't understand is the correlation between ambition and happiness. If those who were engineered supposedly have the greatest potential in their gene pool, how is it that so many of them remain unhappy? If it relates to them not having everything that they want, then wouldn't that apply to everyone in the system, no matter how one was conceived? Look, I understand that a movie is not supposed to answer every single question it poses, but that is just one example of various grievances I have with what Gattaca offhandedly mentions.

Oddly enough, Gattaca feels stuck between too much simplicity and too much complexity. It could have simply been a gene therapy-themed movie that ultimately teaches the audience never to give up on realizing one's ambitions, no matter what society might say otherwise. In that sense, Gattaca succeeds, with a forgivable exception for the ending to the story of the crippled Jerome (Jude Law). I find it harder to forgive the contrived romance between Vincent and Irene (Uma Thurman), but those moments were short enough for the entire data sample to be notable in other respects. Performances were good, if not outstanding. The set design perfectly fits the dysfunctional utopia that is described. And one scene, in Jude Law's apartment during the climax of a murder investigation, was thrilling in good ol' Hollywood fashion. Ultimately, however, my greatest concern were those questions. Personally, I don't see why one would ask, "Should I conceive my child through natural or artificial means?," after seeing this movie. Given how discriminatory the system is, the only scientific reason why someone should conceive naturally is related to happiness. And no further information was provided on that front. Gattaca spends a solid amount of time in telling a straightforward Hollywood drama/thriller, under the guise of intellectual science-fiction. Don't be fooled. It's a false print.

P.S. *SPOILER, AVOID ME, SPOILER* This one is personal: What a waste of an ending. How could you have Vincent say, "I never saved anything for the swim back," and NOT have him die of heart failure during his trip into space? He was past his due date, it would have shocked everyone else on board, and that line would have come full circle. SUCH a waste.
May 10, 2016
A sci fi film where space travel is just a pretext for absorbing story about genetics, prejudice ansd discrimination.
May 8, 2016
I love this film too much to talk about. It's just part of my life. One thing, if I say, is that this film is so powerful that wearing a suit to go to the space looks nothing but cool.
½ May 5, 2016
Interesting look at genetically optimized humans. I don't understand what is in it for Jerome.
April 15, 2016
The setting/premise is better than the movie, but while "Gattaca" might be too on the nose and tie things up artificially neatly, it tosses around enough interesting ideas while offering up ambitious visuals to make up for it. No classic, and rather stilted acting throughout, but still entertaining and just engaging enough to be worth a watch. The score is a bit overbearing in film, but undeniably beautiful.
½ March 30, 2016
First time having a look at this forgotten gem. Slightly plausible, and with a plot that seems refreshing compared to some action obsessed, sensory overloaded pseudoscience fiction of now.
March 22, 2016
goooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooookoooooood
½ February 22, 2016
Well imagined, clumsily realized.