Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

June 13, 2017
Meh. Not my type of movie.
April 7, 2017
Really good Sci-Fi movie about the future. What if success was based on complete scientific genetically grown predictability and not random genetic births? I really enjoyed it. A bit emotionless so it doesn't have much melodrama which can be somewhat dull at times.
March 6, 2017
Neat concept and story. A unique sci-fi flick.
½ March 4, 2017
To chase a dream....steal a body.
February 21, 2017
Grade - B
'Gattaca' is a fine movie, with good performances, an interesting story, and a shocking ending. However, even with all of the movies thought provoking themes, something just wasn't working as it should. I found myself not as affected by the movies themes as I should have been, and odd character choices detracted from the movies overall quality.
½ February 21, 2017
Futuristic society where elite manufactored DNA is way superior than human-born. Not far from 1984, Equlibrium or Brazil in its world-view, yet still relevant for whats gonna crash our realm.
February 12, 2017
Very interesting subject matter, good character development.
February 2, 2017
I watched this today in Bio class and it was actually really good! I had never heard of it before.
January 30, 2017
I was not keen to watch this movie when it was screened here. No big stars, unknown director (Andrew Niccol) and a sci-fi thriller? I just don't have a good feeling about it. It was when Simone, the director's following effort, was reviewed that this film was mentioned and that this movie was much superior. That aroused my interest...

What an irony! Don't label something so fast without letting it prove itself - that's exactly the message in this movie.

The movie impressed me from the start. Clever lines. Clever plot twists. A clever story idea (read up the trivia too!) and a cleverer execution of a thriller. In lesser hands, it would be made into another run-of-the-mill fast-paced actioner. But Andrew chooses to tell the story in a way it will provoke our thoughts. In one deleted scene (only in the DVD), it shows a series of great people (JFK, Einstein, Abraham Lincoln etc) with 'defects'. Just imagine, if a system like the one in the movie was adopted earlier, they would be classified as 'In-valids' and deemed 'underclass'.
½ January 1, 2017
Sci-fi drama about the ethic nature of science.
½ December 19, 2016
Compelling, powerfully acted and inspirational. A picture with the power to change how you see the world and your place in it!
December 6, 2016
A rather slow sci-fi with a good cast and a escalating ending.
December 4, 2016
I'm not usually into sci-fi, but this film was so tantalizing - and it didn't disappoint!!
November 30, 2016
The most damn beautiful movie I've seen.
November 21, 2016
were we are heading so everyone can be pidgin wholed and not deviate
October 24, 2016
A very smart futuristic noir that, while it can disappoint those expecting a space movie, is still a sharply directed look at fraud, technology and the human condition.
October 7, 2016
Straight up one of the beat sci-fi movies ever. Actually one of the best ever anyway. Amazing.
September 21, 2016
sci-fi movie with an interesting story and smart dialogues. Intelligent and suspenseful but can be painfully slow.
September 4, 2016
An intelligent, rather grounded and realistic look into a near future when parents can choose the genetic makeup of their kids, and the story of a man fooling the system of only the perfect candidates making their way in life and career. Good acting, interesting characters, a cool, very subtle set design and exciting plot make this utopian/dystopian thriller a gem of the genre. The thriller elements are subtle at first but make for a few really exciting sequences towards the end. The wonderful soundtrack completes the picture, always striking the right chords. Especially the ending is very strong and comes up with one of the most beautiful last lines ever.
August 31, 2016
This sci-fi movie is made very brilliantly, because you perceive the film is settled in the future, but you don't understand how a distant future from now (also if they tell you at the beginning of the movie that is not a far future), and the use of special effects and futuristic objects is nearly absent at all. That creates a very comfortable vision for the spectators, that feel like they are in the current era, just with some small evolutions, and they perfectly accept the idea of a future like the one proposed.
Another part that is well made is the creation of the atmosphere of oppression. Mainly because of what you see (the controlles police makes nearly in every moment of the film, or because you see all those people that make analyze others' genes in order to see if they are valid or in-valid, and so on) but not only. This is the sci-fi I really like. But, at the opposite of all the premises that I expressed earlier, I think that the directors failed in create that empathy between the actors and the spectators, that in a movie based on the feelings and hopes of the characters are probably the most important things to transmit.