Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

October 24, 2016
A very smart futuristic noir that, while it can disappoint those expecting a space movie, is still a sharply directed look at fraud, technology and the human condition.
October 7, 2016
Straight up one of the beat sci-fi movies ever. Actually one of the best ever anyway. Amazing.
September 21, 2016
sci-fi movie with an interesting story and smart dialogues. Intelligent and suspenseful but can be painfully slow.
September 4, 2016
An intelligent, rather grounded and realistic look into a near future when parents can choose the genetic makeup of their kids, and the story of a man fooling the system of only the perfect candidates making their way in life and career. Good acting, interesting characters, a cool, very subtle set design and exciting plot make this utopian/dystopian thriller a gem of the genre. The thriller elements are subtle at first but make for a few really exciting sequences towards the end. The wonderful soundtrack completes the picture, always striking the right chords. Especially the ending is very strong and comes up with one of the most beautiful last lines ever.
August 31, 2016
This sci-fi movie is made very brilliantly, because you perceive the film is settled in the future, but you don't understand how a distant future from now (also if they tell you at the beginning of the movie that is not a far future), and the use of special effects and futuristic objects is nearly absent at all. That creates a very comfortable vision for the spectators, that feel like they are in the current era, just with some small evolutions, and they perfectly accept the idea of a future like the one proposed.
Another part that is well made is the creation of the atmosphere of oppression. Mainly because of what you see (the controlles police makes nearly in every moment of the film, or because you see all those people that make analyze others' genes in order to see if they are valid or in-valid, and so on) but not only. This is the sci-fi I really like. But, at the opposite of all the premises that I expressed earlier, I think that the directors failed in create that empathy between the actors and the spectators, that in a movie based on the feelings and hopes of the characters are probably the most important things to transmit.
August 31, 2016
Watched for my science and English class and actually enjoyed it
August 22, 2016
'Gattaca' is a fine movie, with good performances, an interesting story, and a shocking ending. However, even with all of the movies thought provoking themes, something just wasn't working as it should. I found myself not as effected by the movies themes as I should have been, and odd character choices detracted from the movies overall quality.
August 16, 2016
Extraordinary dialogue. Smart dialogue. Basically, Gattaca has the dialogue that the well-chosen cast managed to pull off excellently.
July 24, 2016
Movie night with Iris.

Yes the tech is dated, although we're all thumb printing to access our iPhones now. But this remains a really good piece of Sci Fi with a strong story at it's heart.
July 24, 2016
While not quite as scientifically absorbing as the consensus suggests, Gattaca is an intriguing sci-fi movie with smart dialogue, although aside from Jude Law, the acting can be better. The quiet atmospheric style the film takes is awesome, as is the chilly vibe.
July 4, 2016
I loved this movie and I really cant say anything bad about it. The characters were great, and the flow of the movie was enjoyable. I have seen this four times now, and will continue to watch it periodically every few years.
June 28, 2016
Top 5 movies of all time
½ June 12, 2016
Nice 1920s futurist stuff. Directed by a Kiwi incidentally. Engaging plot and lots of style.
½ June 11, 2016
With moving brilliance, Gattaca remembers the world has no future for discrimination.
June 11, 2016
Very interesting. The science behind this movie seems reachable. A future where genetically modified babies are the norm, and natural births are non-existent. The concept of forging your own path doesn't exist. Your whole life is known ten seconds after your birth. Our main character, Vincent (or Jerome,) decides he won't be tied down by his natural birth and assumed the identity of someone else. The only problem? That's just as illegal here as it is in real life. While this prospect seems easy to screw up, Andrew Niccol handles the story with care, crafting a sci-fi drama with weight and tension. The performers do a fine job as well, complimenting the already real-feeling characters.
½ May 30, 2016
9 out of 10:

Smart, thought provoking, and well acted, Gattaca is a sci-fi drama classic.
May 30, 2016
The Noir genre mixed with futuristic sci-fi genre gives the movie its originality all while discussing a controversial topic.
½ May 23, 2016
A compelling idea from realistic fears, but this production is hampered by a few flaws - the stakes do not seem high enough (it'd be better to hear that a In-Valid guilty of fraud faces very serious consequences, as it is it seems that Hawke may be fired and serve some gaol time); Hawke's reward is... what, a holiday?; Law's ultimate end seems to come from nowhere; Dean's insertion into the plot is a little contrived; some of the cinematography seems amateurish or dated. All in all it's a solid tale, but as it stands it is not a very thrilling thriller.