Gattaca - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gattaca Reviews

½ January 1, 2017
Sci-fi drama about the ethic nature of science.
½ December 19, 2016
Compelling, powerfully acted and inspirational. A picture with the power to change how you see the world and your place in it!
December 6, 2016
A rather slow sci-fi with a good cast and a escalating ending.
December 4, 2016
I'm not usually into sci-fi, but this film was so tantalizing - and it didn't disappoint!!
November 30, 2016
The most damn beautiful movie I've seen.
November 21, 2016
were we are heading so everyone can be pidgin wholed and not deviate
October 24, 2016
A very smart futuristic noir that, while it can disappoint those expecting a space movie, is still a sharply directed look at fraud, technology and the human condition.
October 7, 2016
Straight up one of the beat sci-fi movies ever. Actually one of the best ever anyway. Amazing.
September 21, 2016
sci-fi movie with an interesting story and smart dialogues. Intelligent and suspenseful but can be painfully slow.
September 4, 2016
An intelligent, rather grounded and realistic look into a near future when parents can choose the genetic makeup of their kids, and the story of a man fooling the system of only the perfect candidates making their way in life and career. Good acting, interesting characters, a cool, very subtle set design and exciting plot make this utopian/dystopian thriller a gem of the genre. The thriller elements are subtle at first but make for a few really exciting sequences towards the end. The wonderful soundtrack completes the picture, always striking the right chords. Especially the ending is very strong and comes up with one of the most beautiful last lines ever.
August 31, 2016
This sci-fi movie is made very brilliantly, because you perceive the film is settled in the future, but you don't understand how a distant future from now (also if they tell you at the beginning of the movie that is not a far future), and the use of special effects and futuristic objects is nearly absent at all. That creates a very comfortable vision for the spectators, that feel like they are in the current era, just with some small evolutions, and they perfectly accept the idea of a future like the one proposed.
Another part that is well made is the creation of the atmosphere of oppression. Mainly because of what you see (the controlles police makes nearly in every moment of the film, or because you see all those people that make analyze others' genes in order to see if they are valid or in-valid, and so on) but not only. This is the sci-fi I really like. But, at the opposite of all the premises that I expressed earlier, I think that the directors failed in create that empathy between the actors and the spectators, that in a movie based on the feelings and hopes of the characters are probably the most important things to transmit.
August 31, 2016
Watched for my science and English class and actually enjoyed it
August 22, 2016
***
'Gattaca' is a fine movie, with good performances, an interesting story, and a shocking ending. However, even with all of the movies thought provoking themes, something just wasn't working as it should. I found myself not as effected by the movies themes as I should have been, and odd character choices detracted from the movies overall quality.
August 16, 2016
Extraordinary dialogue. Smart dialogue. Basically, Gattaca has the dialogue that the well-chosen cast managed to pull off excellently.
July 24, 2016
Movie night with Iris.

Yes the tech is dated, although we're all thumb printing to access our iPhones now. But this remains a really good piece of Sci Fi with a strong story at it's heart.
July 24, 2016
While not quite as scientifically absorbing as the consensus suggests, Gattaca is an intriguing sci-fi movie with smart dialogue, although aside from Jude Law, the acting can be better. The quiet atmospheric style the film takes is awesome, as is the chilly vibe.
July 4, 2016
I loved this movie and I really cant say anything bad about it. The characters were great, and the flow of the movie was enjoyable. I have seen this four times now, and will continue to watch it periodically every few years.
June 28, 2016