Goddess of Mercy (Yu guanyin) Reviews

• Aug 25, 2009

Whether an adaptation of a novel is successful or not probably largely depends on how bravely you can break the literal sense of the original novel - in that point, this film is following the original story too much, to royally. Where you think unnecessary or too long to cover overall the original story, you need to cut some parts off - in this film, you should've cut off the episode of the third guy, who the heroin meets in Beijing. Well, this episode is actually very important, but because of the limit of time, the film does not describe how the relationship between the heroin and the third man gets deeper at all. What's more, the heroin's decision making is too mysterious (or stupid), and it even destroys the whole picture - who on earth will go back to where you can be killed when you almost can leave the past behind and make a new start???? And use a condom if you have one night stand!!!! It's just not really a good adaptation, I should say. I doubt that Wei Zhao was the best choice for the role, too, because she doesn't look athletic at all - it's just impossible. Ann Hui, although I've not seen much of her work yet, seems to me that she's over-recognized. Still, the cinematography's just 100% gorgeous - you can watch this film at least once to check out its cinematography.

• Jun 25, 2009

Not the worst movie I've seen, but easily one of the most poorly constructed. There is an intriguing story buried beneath everything but you have to keep reminding yourself what you think it is while you wonder why it's not being told very well. It's not a nice looking film either. Zhao Wei has never looked more lost and out of place. The scenes of her fighting off armed criminals while holding her baby in one hand would have been funny if they weren't so disgusting. The fact that they looked completely phony doesn't redeem anything. This film should be put in front of a firing squad and executed.

• Jul 09, 2008

Solid Asian cinema. Although it was a bit schizophrenic at first in trying to decide what kind of film it was going to be (drama? romance? action? suspense? well it had a little of all of them), the movie really got going in the second half and the script really started to come together. The filming style does feel a bit "dated," but there isn't really anything bad about it. The acting and dialogue were done well and i liked the ending, even though it was a bit predictable (as far as Asian cinema is concerned). Still, a good script made this highly enjoyable!

• Jun 29, 2008

Pretty weak and unconvincing stuff from director Ann Hui. Perhaps mainly a casting problem. Neither dreamboy Nicholas Tse nor dreamgirl Vicky Zhao can hold their ground in this failed romance.

• Mar 23, 2008

Nice acting, nice story, tragic ending!!! best film acted by Zhao Wei and Nicholas Tse!!!

• Dec 30, 2007

A poor mix of everything.... should not watch it... boring...

A poor mix of everything.... should not watch it... boring...

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Dec 23, 2007

I guess the people who don't like this movie should stick with genre flicks, so they aren't confused when something doesn't fall neatly in to a category. If you want something conventional, Hollywood has a million genre flicks, please take your pick, they all follow a formula called "The Beat Structure", which will keep your delicate sensibilities neatly placated. For the rest of you, who seek something different, give this film a shot. By the way, EVERYBODY doesn't die. It helps if you watch a movie to the end. If I sound pissed off, it's because I just read some of the "reviews" of this film.

• Dec 22, 2007

A very beautiful story about destiny, karma and the unknown...the haunting essence of this soundtrack was just beyond this world.

• Dec 07, 2007

I did not expect to like this movie, and only got it because it was available free from YesAsia.com. But the story was really good and "Vicky" Zhao Wei shines as always!

• Nov 10, 2007

I cried so hard at the end of this movie!

I cried so hard at the end of this movie!