Good Bye, Lenin! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Bye, Lenin! Reviews

September 2, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time...
August 28, 2016
A charming movie about a young man who just wants to protect his mother. While I suspect much of the humor didn't translate (this was billed as a comedy), the themes of love for your family are universal, whether you're from the East or West.
August 8, 2016
I just bought this film I love it despite the fact that it's in German it's a wonderful film ??
May 4, 2016
When I say this film is adorable, don't take that to mean that the writing is saccharine or thematically safe. Good Bye Lenin takes the chaotic politics of Soviet Germany and focuses on how they affect ordinary people. From this premise, Goodbye Lenin articulates the fears of the old and the energy of a younger generation hungry for more than they have at home. A boy, happy for his newfound freedom, is concerned for the well-being of his bedridden mother. Fearful she might die if she finds out Communism has left East Germany, he goes to great lengths to ensure she doesn't find out. Drama and tension ensue. Watch this film.
February 14, 2016
Walks a great balance between poignancy and comedy.
December 7, 2015
This German film contains an interesting mix of comedy, drama, and tragedy. Featuring a unique screenplay and solid performances, especially from Bruhl and Sass, this film depicts German unification from an unusual angle. 1001
July 31, 2015
Muy jevi, chulisima, me dio risa y pena al mismo tiempo. Ineteresante, otra gran actuacion de Daniel.
July 22, 2015
As good a comedy as you are going to get from Germany. If it doesn't make you chuckle then at least you get a good feeling for the time before an after the falling of the Berlin wall for East Berliners.
July 18, 2015
Uma mulher fanática pelo regime socialista da Alemanha Oriental sofre um colapso nervoso e fica em coma. Ela só acorda depois da queda do muro de Berlin e o seu filho faz de tudo para ela não descobrir o que aconteceu. Um drama muito bem desenvolvido em cima do momento histórico, com a perspectiva de cidadãos comuns.
July 14, 2015
The movie of the kind that you flow with the incidents, it makes the history with the dram, in a way that you believe that the story is very close to you and to the histroy incidents that you lived. The actors was great, non of them is a super hero or a charming super model.....they are the kind of folks you see in the street. You can feel the sorrow wrap the live of the characters specially the mom and her son, the mom who believed in the social system and its idealism, and the son who ones when he was young loved that system and inspired by it in a way or another. The movie in a way or a nother have not escaped form the trend of western movies of putting the former social system and heavy criticize and showing it as corrupted system that don't have any bright side. but at the same time demonstrate that there is a lot of values the person and the community will lose when throwing it self in the lap of capitalism.This movie is great, take you in a small journey in the past with small family during the collapsing of the former eastern German social system.
½ April 1, 2015
A view of Germany reunification with a lot of sarcasm and humor. Alexander creates a fiction fake world for his sick mother, where the DDR still exists, the Berlin wall fell, but the west people are the ones who are looking for refuge in the East.
The film title couldn´t be better chosen. In one moment Alexander's mother watches a Lenin statue been flown by a helicopter.
½ March 28, 2015
Unification of East and West Germany is no doubt one of the historic accomplishment in the 20th century. In most cases, it's told from the point of view of western world but we may be missing something. The German comedy is a singular movie which portrays the unification from the point of view of the family in the East Germany. There is something more important than ideology.
½ March 27, 2015
Funny, sweet and original.
½ February 7, 2015
This film is billed as "hysterically historical". I found the film did not live up to that billing or the potential afforded by the film's concept. To me, the film was more a family drama come bildungsroman with occasional moments of light humor. It is acted well, with good sets and costumes. I enjoyed the film, but only once I abandoned my expectation of humor.
February 6, 2015
Co-written and directed by Wolfgang Becker, (Schmetterlinge (1988) and Das Leben ist eine Baustelle (1997), produced by Stefan Arndt (Amour (2012) and Cloud Atlas (2012)). This is a charming German comedy-drama about the fall of Communism in East Germany in the late 1980's, and it's also a comment on capitalism and it's one which makes you think about commercialism as well. In October 1989, Alex Kerner (Daniel Brühl), his sister Ariane (Maria Simon) and his mother, Christiane (Katrin Saß), live in a small apartment in East Berline. Christiane is a staunch supporter of communism, and a member of the Socialist Unity Party of Germany. When Alex is arrested during an anti-government march, Christiane witnesses this and she has a massive heart attack. As a result, she's in a coma for 8 months, and she misses the fall of communism and the reunification of Germany. The doctors warn Alex that the shock of the news may kill her, so Alex tries to recreate East Germany for the benefit of this mother, all in their apartment. It's a very peculiar idea, but it works, and while the scheme of our central characters might be insane, there is some method to the madness. Some of the recreations done in the film are quite funny, and so are the excuses. It's a true one off, but it puts forwards a better case for communism than capitalism.
½ December 29, 2014
Intriguing exploration of German culture, ideological shifts, and virtuous lying. Situational humor and pathos blend well together as our main character figures out how to keep his mother happy while adapting to the fast changes all around him. Even if I didn't care for the lack of honesty or more extreme methods of the protagonist, I acknowledge that it was necessary in telling the story. The heart is vital to the movie rising above its material.
December 24, 2014
Refreshing, entertaining and surreal black comedy
November 12, 2014
A simple, farcical premise is carried out well by the entire cast. Although not all the jokes will land with international viewers, it keeps up the sweet humour throughout as well as delivering great social commentary. Toward the end it can't quite make up it's mind if it's more about the family drama or the comedy, but that's a minor gripe in an all around entertaining tale.

*Full Review Pending*
November 9, 2014
In the aid of the 25th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall, a very interesting historical film.