Good Bye, Lenin! - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Good Bye, Lenin! Reviews

½ October 6, 2017
An intelligent film a woman on a protest during the troubles in a divided Germany during the Cold war suffers a heart attack she falls into a coma. When she comes around her children pretend that they are still part of East Germany and nothing has changed. How long can they keep it a secret? a sad ending when she becomes ill but overall enjoyable and worth a watch
½ October 1, 2017
Funny, heartfelt and imbued with a sharp social critique, Good Bye, Lenin! retains the best elements from both entertainment and sociological study.
August 24, 2017
Too much love... is evil or good? Maybe this perfect movie is the answer.
½ May 14, 2017
Clever and funny look at the period of German reunification. Some times amusing, other times bitter satire of flaws of two opposing systems.
½ January 24, 2017
Well acted, funny and emotional.
September 2, 2016
one of my favorite movies of all time...
August 28, 2016
A charming movie about a young man who just wants to protect his mother. While I suspect much of the humor didn't translate (this was billed as a comedy), the themes of love for your family are universal, whether you're from the East or West.
August 8, 2016
I just bought this film I love it despite the fact that it's in German it's a wonderful film ??
May 4, 2016
When I say this film is adorable, don't take that to mean that the writing is saccharine or thematically safe. Good Bye Lenin takes the chaotic politics of Soviet Germany and focuses on how they affect ordinary people. From this premise, Goodbye Lenin articulates the fears of the old and the energy of a younger generation hungry for more than they have at home. A boy, happy for his newfound freedom, is concerned for the well-being of his bedridden mother. Fearful she might die if she finds out Communism has left East Germany, he goes to great lengths to ensure she doesn't find out. Drama and tension ensue. Watch this film.
February 14, 2016
Walks a great balance between poignancy and comedy.
December 7, 2015
This German film contains an interesting mix of comedy, drama, and tragedy. Featuring a unique screenplay and solid performances, especially from Bruhl and Sass, this film depicts German unification from an unusual angle. 1001
July 31, 2015
Muy jevi, chulisima, me dio risa y pena al mismo tiempo. Ineteresante, otra gran actuacion de Daniel.
July 22, 2015
As good a comedy as you are going to get from Germany. If it doesn't make you chuckle then at least you get a good feeling for the time before an after the falling of the Berlin wall for East Berliners.
July 18, 2015
Uma mulher fanática pelo regime socialista da Alemanha Oriental sofre um colapso nervoso e fica em coma. Ela só acorda depois da queda do muro de Berlin e o seu filho faz de tudo para ela não descobrir o que aconteceu. Um drama muito bem desenvolvido em cima do momento histórico, com a perspectiva de cidadãos comuns.
July 14, 2015
The movie of the kind that you flow with the incidents, it makes the history with the dram, in a way that you believe that the story is very close to you and to the histroy incidents that you lived. The actors was great, non of them is a super hero or a charming super model.....they are the kind of folks you see in the street. You can feel the sorrow wrap the live of the characters specially the mom and her son, the mom who believed in the social system and its idealism, and the son who ones when he was young loved that system and inspired by it in a way or another. The movie in a way or a nother have not escaped form the trend of western movies of putting the former social system and heavy criticize and showing it as corrupted system that don't have any bright side. but at the same time demonstrate that there is a lot of values the person and the community will lose when throwing it self in the lap of capitalism.This movie is great, take you in a small journey in the past with small family during the collapsing of the former eastern German social system.
½ April 1, 2015
A view of Germany reunification with a lot of sarcasm and humor. Alexander creates a fiction fake world for his sick mother, where the DDR still exists, the Berlin wall fell, but the west people are the ones who are looking for refuge in the East.
The film title couldn´t be better chosen. In one moment Alexander's mother watches a Lenin statue been flown by a helicopter.
½ March 28, 2015
Unification of East and West Germany is no doubt one of the historic accomplishment in the 20th century. In most cases, it's told from the point of view of western world but we may be missing something. The German comedy is a singular movie which portrays the unification from the point of view of the family in the East Germany. There is something more important than ideology.
½ March 27, 2015
Funny, sweet and original.
½ February 7, 2015
This film is billed as "hysterically historical". I found the film did not live up to that billing or the potential afforded by the film's concept. To me, the film was more a family drama come bildungsroman with occasional moments of light humor. It is acted well, with good sets and costumes. I enjoyed the film, but only once I abandoned my expectation of humor.