Good News Reviews

• Sep 28, 2019

I was 14 (1948) when I saw this movie for the first time. (I still watch it when it is shown on TCM) I fell in love with Peter Lawford and he was my all-time fave leading man until my late teens. I was the typical teen buying movie magazines just because Lawford was featured. I loved June Allyson as well. I thought the French lesson was wonderful and was totally charmed by Joan McCracken and her dancing in Pass that Peace Pipe. I give the movie 5 stars...teenage stars. My friends became totally upset with me because Peter L. was always the subject of my conversations. Pure puppy love! At that time, I read that Little Women would soon be released with these two stars performing my favorite characters in the book, Jo and Laurie. I couldn't wait to see it. I also watch it whenever I can but I have seen other versions that I also enjoy. Always 5 stars too.

• Sep 14, 2019

A happy, fuzzy musical.

A happy, fuzzy musical.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best musical comedy movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: The Varsity Drag!

• Dec 27, 2015

MGM's warm, happy homage to the college musical genre, with June Allyson and Peter Lawford singing and dancing to hit songs from the Broadway show ("The Best Things In Life Are Free," "Just Imagine," "The Varsity Drag") as well as a new Comden-Green number,"The French Lesson." Best of all is Broadway actress Joan McCracken, whose comedy and dancing are used to good advantage, particularly in the Oscar-nominated "Pass That Peace Pipe." Mel Torme has a supporting role.

• Oct 09, 2013

Fun rom-com, classic!

Fun rom-com, classic!

• Mar 04, 2013

Bouncy MGM college-themed musical sparkles with June Allyson.

Bouncy MGM college-themed musical sparkles with June Allyson.

• Dec 07, 2012

a simple fun old movie. just how i like it to be :)

a simple fun old movie. just how i like it to be :)

• Jun 22, 2012

I'm a sucker for June Allyson & MGM musicals.

I'm a sucker for June Allyson & MGM musicals.

• Feb 05, 2012

A high spirited musical that shines a light on college football's impact on college in the 1920's. Peter Lawford and June Allyson dazzle, as does the entire cast (especially in the dance numbers). Rarely do I enjoy musicals, but when it involves a member of the Rat Pack, it's got to be good.

• Sep 06, 2011

This movie is so dumb, but Peter Lawford and June Allyson are so cute together I find myself wanting to squeal in girlish delight. "The Best Things In Life Are Free" scene, though brief, totally makes the movie for me. And of course there's adorably young Mel Torme, which is a treat. :)