Goodbye Mr. Cool Reviews

• Aug 01, 2013

Thursday, August 1, 2013 (2001) Goodbye Mr. Cool (In Chinese with English subtitles) DRAMA/ ACTION Before I started to submit movies on rottentomatoes.com, I had already seen many films which some I liked while others I do not want to remember at all. Anyways, the reason I'm saying this is that the title of this film "Goodbye Mr. Cool" is self-explanatory and that they're many films coming out of Hong Kong that has always consist to have the same themes with the only difference that they're shown with different actors and different set ups, and I just want to say that I hardly liked any of them. The theme that is often shown in Hong Kong cinema time and time again is one of those movies where they showcase a good triad person who's trying to do good things while being at the top as well as the best creating conflict and showing some downsides upon joining a triad gang which operates almost like Italy's mafia. I had seen this type of synopsis in Hong Kong films before several times except in this case the star nicknamed Cool Dragon (Kent Cheng) is trying to set a good example to his son. I mean, if you seen one then you pretty much seen them all. Even though there was a movie that actually became very successful as a result of doing this same type of theme which spawned three more sequels called "Young And Dangerous" series which my Chinese friend liked more than I do- I only liked the action aspect of Hong Kong cinema with a few exceptions. I have to say that much of the drama, thriller and art house films from Hong Kong are very boring since they often recycle their plots and themes over and over again and I'll think I'm going to add this one to that list as well. 1 out of 4 stars

• Oct 15, 2011

Love some of these older triad movies... Watching this for the 3rd time... plus my friend is Mr Volcano and this one of the first movie I watched Rain Li... :-)

• Oct 09, 2011

The most impressive point is the filming location of the diner was nearby my home, & at which I used to having meals often back then.

• Mar 25, 2011

the intriguing premise and solid performances save the uneven script big time

the intriguing premise and solid performances save the uneven script big time

• Feb 13, 2011

Ekin Cheng still plays a good gangster role even though he's trying to leave the underworld.

• Jul 07, 2010

I like the theme song by Karen Mok "Ji Mo De Lian Ren A". If you enjoy those bad boys movie in HK during 90s, you will enjoy this movie. Rain Li is very innocent. Her role is very suitable for her. In the underground society, once you're in, you're always in.

• Jan 17, 2010

Jingle Ma is an assured cinematoghrapher who always seems to find those great angles, but as a director he repeatedly fails to convince. Goodbye Mr Cool is no exception. Yeung Sin-Ling's and Susan Chan Suk-Yin's screenplay has enough potential as a drama, but Ma makes only a halfhearted attempt at presenting it as such, insisting on inserting stylishly violent action scenes where they don't belong at all. After all, this ain't Young & Dangerous, even if Ma obviously wants to point us in that direction. Ekin Cheng is surprisingly good in his part as a gangster past his prime, for once acting all mature and grown up.

• Anthony V Super Reviewer
    Oct 24, 2008

Nice action/drama vehicle for Ekin Cheng.

Nice action/drama vehicle for Ekin Cheng.

• Oct 13, 2008

the English title is possibly one of the lamest translation ever...i mean it has totally taken away the coolness of the film...yes, goodbye mr.cool...yes mate.

• Feb 20, 2006

Maaan, I gotta be worrying about university...but instead I'm watching HK films and eating like crazy. Niiiice. I shut down under pressure. :fresh: [u]Grave of the Fireflies[/u] Well, this is nowhere near my favourite anime movie, but it's important, so that makes it good. I think. Really, I didn't like this as much as other people do. I could name like, 10, maybe 15, anime movies I liked better than this. But you see, my scoring isn't just personal opinion. Well, of course it is, but I balance other things in it too, like how "well-done" it was. And this was well done. Okay people, this is/was on the imdb top 250, so give it a chance! Even you anime haters... :fresh: [u]Tokyo Raiders[/u] [b](7/10[/b] - Ekin Factor +1 - [b]8/10)[/b] ZOMG, a GOOD Ekin Cheng movie? Why, that's an oxymoron!! Hahaha, just kidding, I love you Ekin...but really...well, he's not the main star, so I guess it has a reason that it's not goddawful...well, looking at the 12 movies of his that I've seen, I liked the majority of them...so uh...ANYWAY, Tony Leung gives an AMAZING, AMAZING, AMAZING performance here, for an "Indiana Jones" type role. Hell, Tony's such a great actor. And he's in handsome mode here, as opposed to fugly WKW mode, so bonus point! Yeah, about this movie...it was too freaking long, and the action sequences were kind of boring, but hey! It was smart for an action film! It had a lot of good twists! And Ekin AND Tony. WOW! And it was set in Japan, and I loved Tony's Japanese. I watched this movie along time ago, and just writingt he review now, but there was a small part where Ekin speaks either English or Japanese, and I rewatched that part three times becuase I REALLY wanted to hear Ekin speak in another language...okay, I'm officially a freak. Moving on... :fresh: [u]Goodbye Mr. Cool[/u] [b](8/10[/b] - Ekin Factor +1 -[b] 9/10)[/b] Shit, what a fucking awesome movie. It was just so damn cool. I loved how they did the flashbacks. Hated the ending, but damn was Ekin sexy. In the whole movie. Not the ending. Well, the ending too, but damn. LOOOVE this movie!! best Ekin movie I've ever seen :D I also saw two other HK movies - one with my Ekin (WHO I SAW IN REAL LIFE YESTERDAY!!!! :D :D :D :D :D <3333) Divergence and The Unusual Youth (that was on TV). [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/smilies/fresh.gif[/img][url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455195/"][u]Divergence[/u][/url] [b](6/10[/b] - Ekin Factor +1 -[b] 7/10)[/b] It was kind of stupid and boring at parts, but it was interest-holding in a kind of "And how the hell are these two events related again?" But daaaamn, Ekin is sexy with fake glasses. And pretending to be a lawyer. Oh baby. [img]http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/user/smilies/rotten.gif[/img][u][url="http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0470304/"]The Unusual Youth[/url] [/u](4/10) This had the same set-up as one of my favourite HK films, 6th Floor Rear Flat, but unlike that film, this one sucks. All the characters are stuck-up and self-absorbed, and we are never given a reason to care about their "deep" conversations (I put deep in quotes since they were so damn shallow >_>;;) But it was okay in a "What will happen next?" type of way.