Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

April 21, 2017
Gremlins is fun and charming. Gizmo is as lovable a side character monster as ever.
½ April 19, 2017
Cute little "horror" film, fun for the whole family! Unfortunately it takes some time to get going, the characters aren't interesting enough to have the kind of investment in that Gremlins wants us to have, empty vessels to react to the creatures. Once they make their appearance its rather amusing but I don't think it is really worth the wait to get to that point so unfortunately I can't give this a high rating. Shame, if I cared about the main character more I would have gotten this to an 8/10 easy.
April 14, 2017
It's cute but not like Bergman or Tarkovsky in the sense of what it brings to the table.
April 13, 2017
A big hearted kids' movie, an unconventional holiday film, and a midnight creature feature rolled into one, "Gremlins" is like the evil twin to "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial."
April 8, 2017
Gremlins is directed by Joe Dante, and it stars Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates in a comedy horror about an inventor who bought a mogwai as a gift to Billy (Zack Galligan) and there came some situations that ended up with the mogwai multiplying and turning into nasty creatures that terrorize the town. I haven't seen this in years, but I remember enjoying it a lot, so I even bought it and got plenty of time to watch it. So with that said, Gremlins is a very fun monster film. The acting is great as Zack Gailligan was unknown at the time but gave a memorable performance that stand out, and Phoebe Cates is also pretty good. The voice acting from Frank Welker, Howie Mandel, and many others has a share of cute and creepy moments, and they do a good job with it, especially with the fantastic effects of puppetry and practical. The writing by Chris Columbus is well-written that gave off some original material, especially with how the mogwais work. It's funny, it can be scary, and the score by Jerry Goldsmith is catchy to listen to. It's smarter than you think it is, but it's also just as silly as a Joe Dante film, and it's usually quite amusing to watch. Gremlins is a fantastic film that we haven't quite seen movies like this lately these days.
April 8, 2017
Quite darker than expected!
½ April 1, 2017
With stellar puppet effects and mildly amusing performances, Gremlins is a superb blend of horror and comedy.
½ March 23, 2017
This movie was pretty good actually. It was a little brutal and scary, but mostly it was good. The scariness is not too bad.
½ March 21, 2017
It may be dated now and its structure cliche but Gremlins remains a darkly fun, creative film.
Grade: B-
½ March 21, 2017
Great fun, with lots of scares and fun to boot, even if its sequel is better in every way. Despite being wildly uneven in tone, it still manages to be a great movie.
March 20, 2017
The gremlins singing along to Snow White... classic!
½ March 19, 2017
An insanely violent but hilarious entertaining movie. I loved how balls to the walls it was. I had no idea what to expect but I loved it. they don't make movies like this anymore and it was so refreshing. The puppetering and effects hold up and it was really charming. An insanely fun adventure.
February 6, 2017
If there is a finer example of the manic 80's movie magic I' like to hear about it. Along with having had a major crush on Phoebe Cates, this is also a childhood favourite with the right balance of hijinx, horror, mayhem, fun and animatronic puppetry. Top stuff!
January 5, 2017
This movie is a classic! Pretty cheesy, but still really fun and always entertaining.
½ January 4, 2017
An exceptionally clever and wonderfully stylish treat, Gremlins is a film that works as pure entertainment on nearly every level, with black humor, hysterical horror, and a disdain for all things often respected, it's rare to see such a commercial film take such wonderful risks.
January 3, 2017
Here is my stream of consciousness review. A perfect movie during Christmas or any other time. The universal back lot town is obvious and recognizable but adds to the charm. The co star female is the red bikini girl from Fast Times, which I read was a controversial move at the time because of her fast times scene, which is interesting. Gizmo is adorable but I worry people are too care free when bringing home a pet of an unknown species, I would have freaked out over its very basic needs, much less the problems that later arise. The gremlins are awesome characters from the era of practical fx and any screen time they get is amazing. And their presence isn't just implied like in many monster movies that show just seconds of the monster at a time; no they spent a ton of time and money putting these dudes on screen. The introductory bar scene could have been half a minute of gags but the wild gremlin bar antics go on for what feels like ten minutes! It must have taken days to film that scene. And if that wasn't enough, later they have a packed theater full of fully animated gremlins all with even more crazy antics! It's a pretty dark and somewhat violent movie for a kids film but I think it came out a bit before Temple of Doom etc so PG 13 hadn't become a thing yet. Though he has several good movies under his belt, Gremlins is truly the masterpiece of Joe Dante
½ December 27, 2016
Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. It allows to see any form of entertainment from our past in a more favorable light than how we would actually view them as more rational and level-headed adults. That's why, sometimes, it's really hard for people to go back to the movies they loved as children. Sometimes they even avoid watching them altogether to keep from ruining those memories. So, yes, to me, Gremlins would be one of those films from my past that I loved as a child. It wasn't actually hard for me to watch this, since I've been wanting to watch it since last year's holiday season, but I just got around it to now. But, if I'm being honest, I was a little afraid that time wouldn't have been kind to this movie in its, almost, 33 years since release. But, color me surprised when I find out that this movie, does in fact, hold up after over three decades. Would I have liked this movie more if I was alive in 1984 than I did now? It's probable, but I'm not complaining about that since I found the movie to be a really entertaining flick. It also manages to sneak in some critique of consumer culture and consumerism in general. So it works on both levels. Does the movie have its rough spots? Yes, it does. I do think that the first 45 minutes, or until the first villainous gremlins appear, are a little tough to get into. The movie is never bad, of course, but you know that nothing is really gonna move forward until the gremlins do appear. They don't kill time until they get there, but it takes a little while before it gets going. It's kinda surprising that Gizmo, the adorable Mogwai featured in the movie, was a big children's toy when the film came out, I mean of course it was, which ironic given what the film criticizes. And I say surprising because, while this movie may have been rated PG when it first came out, there was no PG-13 back in the day. It was actually introduced shortly after this film came out, like a month later, as a result of how violent this movie (and Temple of Doom) both were. And that's the thing, Gizmo was seen as a kids' toy, but this isn't, by any definition, a kids' movie in the slightest. The gremlins kill several people in the movie, at least that you get to see. They get drunk, get into fights and generally they do a bunch of shit that you wouldn't see a "kids' movie" get away with now, seeing that parents are so fucking sensitive about stuff like that. There was a certain cognitize dissonance between audiences and the actual movie. It's like they thought Gizmo was cute and cuddly for their kids, regardless of the fact that he was created for a movie that it surprisingly violent. Just something to think about, really. It doesn't affect the movie one way or the other, at least to me. The gremlins going nuts and attacking anything and everything that moved was the film's highlight. And you get close to an hour of that. You might think that the gremlins' shtick gets old after a while, but I do believe they find new ways and clever ways to amp up the destruction the gremlins end up causing. Like I said, the movie is far more violent than the PG rating would imply, it's not close to an R-rating, but I even find that it's slightly more violent than even PG-13. And this is why a third sequel, particularly nowadays, worries me a lot. I'm worried because of the way the business is today that they'll strip away the film's horror elements, and I know the sequel was more darkly comedic, in exchange of a kid-friendly affair because they know they'll be able to sell far more Gizmos in this day and age than they could have in the 80s. And I don't want the film to sacrifice its own integrity just for the sake of more merchandising money. But, again, I think parents being more sensitive nowadays will make the third movie a family-friendly affair. And that pisses me off. Not because it 'ruins my childhood', which is a ridiculous nerd saying, but because the gremlins are meant to be dark and violent. So I'm hoping they don't sacrifice that style due to studio pressure. But I digress, I really liked this movie quite a bit. It definitely takes its time before introducing the gremlins themselves, but when they do, it really kicks into high gear and it doesn't really let up. I can't complain much about this movie. It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, particularly over 30 years after it originally came out, but a quality film is a quality film and this is definitely one of those.
December 27, 2016
A complete classic, its too funny to actually be scary but its totally worth a watch.
½ December 25, 2016
I'm guessing I haven't rated this yet because it's been forever since I last watched it. Definitely has the nostalgia factor, along with the extremely gorgeous Phoebe Cates(hey, Gizmo's not the only cute one here). A little on the kooky side sure, but it's good Christmas entertainment so yeah.
December 23, 2016
I didn´t go into this movie expecting to be scared. I just wanted to have fun. And boy, was is funny. The ridiculousness yet creativity of it makes it one of the most enjoyable movies I´ve seen in a long time. And of course, Gizmo is the cutest.