Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

August 16, 2017
Every time I watch it it's great. Gizmo for president.
½ August 7, 2017
Gremlins is directed by Joe Dante and produced by Steven Spielberg, the two directors from the Twilight Zone movie who either made it better or worse. This 80s horror/satire flick also ruined Christmas for kids across the world and inspired the PG-13 rating. If it pissed off the MPAA guys enough to "inspire" the PG-13 rating and involved Spielberg, you know it's gonna be good.
So, at the heart of this movie, it's a satire of consumer culture. It's not intended to be horrifying or serious, infact it's constantly winking at the audience and playing sly jokes .They pull off that gig great. It's not too serious but it's fun to watch and sometimes a little scary. The music is what does the most for that feel. It kind of has a mayhem ring to it. But when this movie is trying to be humorous, it is funny.
This movie is also very original. This type of movie really hadn't been made yet, and most people walking in to it were confused. Some wondered why they weren't scared, and some wondered why it was funny when they thought it was a serious movie. Some of the comical gore in this is also worth pointing out. It adds both humor and horror to the film.
Overall, Gremlins is an entertaining half horror half satire film. It has enough humor when it wants to, as well as satire of consumer culture, horror movies, and general winks at the audience. It's an original type of movie. There's not much more to say about it, it's just a fun movie that won't leave you breathless at the end, it'll just leave you satisfied.
½ July 28, 2017
A human told your's truly that I would soon physically contact our world in a rolling motion, In an analogy comparing Humans to Tools, I would not hold a sharp boundary in comparison to most tools, This young woman was kinda dumb, as said young woman's digit and thumb laid in front of said young woman's cranium, looking similar to glyph "L", Alas, spans of 365 days start coming and do not stop coming, Back to commonly found laws and I hit our ground running, Didn't fathom not to subsist for fun, Your brain obtains thoughts but your mind obtains no thoughts, So much to do, so much to catch sight of, so what's wrong with taking a back road? You won't know if you don't go, you won't flash if you don't glow, Alas, Now! You show standards similar to that of an All Star! Boost your physical ability! Go play! Alas, Now! You show standards similar to that of an All Star! Start your show! Obtain pay! All that glints is gold, only shooting stars crack a mold!
July 23, 2017
Watched this for the first time since childhood and it was a real trip down memory lane.

I'll never fully understand this movie's weird opening and closing narration from the dad of all characters but Gizmo is one of the cutest movie creatures ever, the score is wonderfully fun, and seeing the gremlins cause their mischief is always a blast.

I seriously can't believe this hasn't been remade/rebooted yet.
July 14, 2017
The scariest Christmas movie I think I've ever seen. I understand the appeal of the Mogwai, my brother even had a Gizmo doll back in the day. The chance of them turning into gremlins however rules out any chance of me ever taking one as a pet as anyone who views the film could easily understand.
June 26, 2017
Interesting take on the lack of discipline and responsibility our current society takes with any of their actions, whether it be their children or otherwise. Shows how even child-like creatures can be led astray into excess, gluttony and vice by having caretakers lacking the discipline to guide them properly. Great simple film to wax philosophical about.
½ June 25, 2017
The dark Christmas comedy from the 80's is both a technical masterpiece and a funny, original movie that is definitely one of the 1980's best films.
½ June 15, 2017
gremlins are awesome and funny. this movie is pretty bad tho. not in the sense that it is too goofy or over the top, i don't mind that. but it's riddled with old movie qualities. it has a bunch of extra story lines that have no effect on the main story, they are a huge waste of time and detract from the fun of the gremlins. the dad inventor story line and the mean old lady story line, smh. basically anything that didn't have to do with gremlins was completely useless. and while i love the main theme song, the rest of the music in this movie is so old and outdated. i think they did a good job on the actual gremlins for the pre-CGI era. they're so awesome and funny. gizmo is so damn cute lmao (about 3 viewings)
April 21, 2017
Gremlins is fun and charming. Gizmo is as lovable a side character monster as ever.
½ April 19, 2017
Cute little "horror" film, fun for the whole family! Unfortunately it takes some time to get going, the characters aren't interesting enough to have the kind of investment in that Gremlins wants us to have, empty vessels to react to the creatures. Once they make their appearance its rather amusing but I don't think it is really worth the wait to get to that point so unfortunately I can't give this a high rating. Shame, if I cared about the main character more I would have gotten this to an 8/10 easy.
April 14, 2017
It's cute but not like Bergman or Tarkovsky in the sense of what it brings to the table.
April 13, 2017
A big hearted kids' movie, an unconventional holiday film, and a midnight creature feature rolled into one, "Gremlins" is like the evil twin to "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial."
April 8, 2017
Gremlins is directed by Joe Dante, and it stars Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates in a comedy horror about an inventor who bought a mogwai as a gift to Billy (Zack Galligan) and there came some situations that ended up with the mogwai multiplying and turning into nasty creatures that terrorize the town. I haven't seen this in years, but I remember enjoying it a lot, so I even bought it and got plenty of time to watch it. So with that said, Gremlins is a very fun monster film. The acting is great as Zack Gailligan was unknown at the time but gave a memorable performance that stand out, and Phoebe Cates is also pretty good. The voice acting from Frank Welker, Howie Mandel, and many others has a share of cute and creepy moments, and they do a good job with it, especially with the fantastic effects of puppetry and practical. The writing by Chris Columbus is well-written that gave off some original material, especially with how the mogwais work. It's funny, it can be scary, and the score by Jerry Goldsmith is catchy to listen to. It's smarter than you think it is, but it's also just as silly as a Joe Dante film, and it's usually quite amusing to watch. Gremlins is a fantastic film that we haven't quite seen movies like this lately these days.
April 8, 2017
Quite darker than expected!
½ April 1, 2017
With stellar puppet effects and mildly amusing performances, Gremlins is a superb blend of horror and comedy.
½ March 23, 2017
This movie was pretty good actually. It was a little brutal and scary, but mostly it was good. The scariness is not too bad.
½ March 21, 2017
It may be dated now and its structure cliche but Gremlins remains a darkly fun, creative film.
Grade: B-
½ March 21, 2017
Great fun, with lots of scares and fun to boot, even if its sequel is better in every way. Despite being wildly uneven in tone, it still manages to be a great movie.
March 20, 2017
The gremlins singing along to Snow White... classic!
½ March 19, 2017
An insanely violent but hilarious entertaining movie. I loved how balls to the walls it was. I had no idea what to expect but I loved it. they don't make movies like this anymore and it was so refreshing. The puppetering and effects hold up and it was really charming. An insanely fun adventure.