Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

July 23, 2017
Watched this for the first time since childhood and it was a real trip down memory lane.

I'll never fully understand this movie's weird opening and closing narration from the dad of all characters but Gizmo is one of the cutest movie creatures ever, the score is wonderfully fun, and seeing the gremlins cause their mischief is always a blast.

I seriously can't believe this hasn't been remade/rebooted yet.
July 14, 2017
The scariest Christmas movie I think I've ever seen. I understand the appeal of the Mogwai, my brother even had a Gizmo doll back in the day. The chance of them turning into gremlins however rules out any chance of me ever taking one as a pet as anyone who views the film could easily understand.
June 26, 2017
Interesting take on the lack of discipline and responsibility our current society takes with any of their actions, whether it be their children or otherwise. Shows how even child-like creatures can be led astray into excess, gluttony and vice by having caretakers lacking the discipline to guide them properly. Great simple film to wax philosophical about.
½ June 25, 2017
The dark Christmas comedy from the 80's is both a technical masterpiece and a funny, original movie that is definitely one of the 1980's best films.
½ June 15, 2017
gremlins are awesome and funny. this movie is pretty bad tho. not in the sense that it is too goofy or over the top, i don't mind that. but it's riddled with old movie qualities. it has a bunch of extra story lines that have no effect on the main story, they are a huge waste of time and detract from the fun of the gremlins. the dad inventor story line and the mean old lady story line, smh. basically anything that didn't have to do with gremlins was completely useless. and while i love the main theme song, the rest of the music in this movie is so old and outdated. i think they did a good job on the actual gremlins for the pre-CGI era. they're so awesome and funny. gizmo is so damn cute lmao (about 3 viewings)
April 21, 2017
Gremlins is fun and charming. Gizmo is as lovable a side character monster as ever.
½ April 19, 2017
Cute little "horror" film, fun for the whole family! Unfortunately it takes some time to get going, the characters aren't interesting enough to have the kind of investment in that Gremlins wants us to have, empty vessels to react to the creatures. Once they make their appearance its rather amusing but I don't think it is really worth the wait to get to that point so unfortunately I can't give this a high rating. Shame, if I cared about the main character more I would have gotten this to an 8/10 easy.
April 14, 2017
It's cute but not like Bergman or Tarkovsky in the sense of what it brings to the table.
April 13, 2017
A big hearted kids' movie, an unconventional holiday film, and a midnight creature feature rolled into one, "Gremlins" is like the evil twin to "E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial."
April 8, 2017
Gremlins is directed by Joe Dante, and it stars Zach Galligan and Phoebe Cates in a comedy horror about an inventor who bought a mogwai as a gift to Billy (Zack Galligan) and there came some situations that ended up with the mogwai multiplying and turning into nasty creatures that terrorize the town. I haven't seen this in years, but I remember enjoying it a lot, so I even bought it and got plenty of time to watch it. So with that said, Gremlins is a very fun monster film. The acting is great as Zack Gailligan was unknown at the time but gave a memorable performance that stand out, and Phoebe Cates is also pretty good. The voice acting from Frank Welker, Howie Mandel, and many others has a share of cute and creepy moments, and they do a good job with it, especially with the fantastic effects of puppetry and practical. The writing by Chris Columbus is well-written that gave off some original material, especially with how the mogwais work. It's funny, it can be scary, and the score by Jerry Goldsmith is catchy to listen to. It's smarter than you think it is, but it's also just as silly as a Joe Dante film, and it's usually quite amusing to watch. Gremlins is a fantastic film that we haven't quite seen movies like this lately these days.
April 8, 2017
Quite darker than expected!
½ April 1, 2017
With stellar puppet effects and mildly amusing performances, Gremlins is a superb blend of horror and comedy.
½ March 23, 2017
This movie was pretty good actually. It was a little brutal and scary, but mostly it was good. The scariness is not too bad.
½ March 21, 2017
It may be dated now and its structure cliche but Gremlins remains a darkly fun, creative film.
Grade: B-
½ March 21, 2017
Great fun, with lots of scares and fun to boot, even if its sequel is better in every way. Despite being wildly uneven in tone, it still manages to be a great movie.
March 20, 2017
The gremlins singing along to Snow White... classic!
½ March 19, 2017
An insanely violent but hilarious entertaining movie. I loved how balls to the walls it was. I had no idea what to expect but I loved it. they don't make movies like this anymore and it was so refreshing. The puppetering and effects hold up and it was really charming. An insanely fun adventure.
February 6, 2017
If there is a finer example of the manic 80's movie magic I' like to hear about it. Along with having had a major crush on Phoebe Cates, this is also a childhood favourite with the right balance of hijinx, horror, mayhem, fun and animatronic puppetry. Top stuff!
January 5, 2017
This movie is a classic! Pretty cheesy, but still really fun and always entertaining.
½ January 4, 2017
An exceptionally clever and wonderfully stylish treat, Gremlins is a film that works as pure entertainment on nearly every level, with black humor, hysterical horror, and a disdain for all things often respected, it's rare to see such a commercial film take such wonderful risks.