Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

½ December 12, 2017
Classic horror comedy that holds quite well as a holiday satire. The cast is solid and likable, especially Phoebe Cates, whose monologue on why she hates Christmas is both haunting & hilarious. The real stars, though, are Gizmo & the Gremlins, who manage to be both cute & scary at the same time. Gizmo is instantly charming in design & execution while Stripe & his minions are scary yet fun as they destroy the town (best Christmas carolers ever). Behind the camera, Joe Dante crafts a fun satire about the consumerism of Christmas while making great use of the visual effects (amazing how well practical still holds up). Overall, one of the best horror/comedies ever made along with being a great Christmas film.
Mark H.
December 6, 2017
Gremlins is a fun, dark, well-made piece of 1980's culture which became very well-known and highly merchandized. Had Ghostbusters not been released the same weekend, this movie may have been even bigger. People complain about the uneven tone, cute and silly at first, then dark, violent and pretty scary. But that was early 80's horror, especially from Joe Dante (The Howling). This movie and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom caused the MPAA to create PG-13 when parents expressed shock and anger over the surprising amount of violence. This is also a holiday classic, as it ties into the Christmas season quite well. Don't be fooled by the critics reviews of Gremlins 2, a long-overdue sequel that should have been ignored altogether. This is an excellent film and should be a staple of any 1980's time capsule.
½ December 6, 2017
A Christmas classic!

A comedy classic!

A horror classic!

An '80s classic!
December 5, 2017
This movie used to scare me when I was a little kid. Nowadays when I watch it I just laugh because it's so freaking hilarious. Watching this movie is like watching a demented Looney Tunes cartoon. That's why it's so awesome!!
December 4, 2017
Outstanding even now so good to watch at Xmas
November 3, 2017
Good movie, pretty good editing for the 80s.
October 24, 2017
There's not method to the madness. It all comes across as an incoherent mess. C-
½ October 21, 2017
A sweet & scary Christmas horror film that delivers some pretty vicious little monsters and opens a not-too-often negative perspective on holiday commercialism, but pretty much stops there before getting to make its human characters great.
½ October 17, 2017
Gremlins is a perfectly entertaining, 80's movie; even if it does feel a bit too silly and long at times.
October 14, 2017
Comedy/Horror films are not necessarily the type that I tend to watch. However, Gremlins was a great film to watch on Netflix while eating dinner. The plot was simple and understandable, emphasizing our obsession with the latest toy craze during every holiday season. The cast was solid, and the gremlins were both terrifying and hilarious. Overall, this is a solid film to watch during holiday season, either Christmas or Halloween.
½ October 5, 2017
Trite 80s horror-comedy fluff with some fun FX work. The morality is so unbelievably black and white that I was irritated throughout most the film.
½ September 21, 2017
Yessss the 80s! Good old 80s.
August 23, 2017
The classic violent and politically oblivious era of the 1980s, daring the MPAA with a horrific imagery, and unfortunately for the squeamish, very well done murderous choreography. And all of that disturbia with funny gags, cartoon characters and bleak almost sadistic humor. Great fun and what ruined we Gen X-ers in so many ways.
August 16, 2017
Every time I watch it it's great. Gizmo for president.
½ August 7, 2017
Gremlins is directed by Joe Dante and produced by Steven Spielberg, the two directors from the Twilight Zone movie who either made it better or worse. This 80s horror/satire flick also ruined Christmas for kids across the world and inspired the PG-13 rating. If it pissed off the MPAA guys enough to "inspire" the PG-13 rating and involved Spielberg, you know it's gonna be good.
So, at the heart of this movie, it's a satire of consumer culture. It's not intended to be horrifying or serious, infact it's constantly winking at the audience and playing sly jokes .They pull off that gig great. It's not too serious but it's fun to watch and sometimes a little scary. The music is what does the most for that feel. It kind of has a mayhem ring to it. But when this movie is trying to be humorous, it is funny.
This movie is also very original. This type of movie really hadn't been made yet, and most people walking in to it were confused. Some wondered why they weren't scared, and some wondered why it was funny when they thought it was a serious movie. Some of the comical gore in this is also worth pointing out. It adds both humor and horror to the film.
Overall, Gremlins is an entertaining half horror half satire film. It has enough humor when it wants to, as well as satire of consumer culture, horror movies, and general winks at the audience. It's an original type of movie. There's not much more to say about it, it's just a fun movie that won't leave you breathless at the end, it'll just leave you satisfied.
½ July 28, 2017
A human told your's truly that I would soon physically contact our world in a rolling motion, In an analogy comparing Humans to Tools, I would not hold a sharp boundary in comparison to most tools, This young woman was kinda dumb, as said young woman's digit and thumb laid in front of said young woman's cranium, looking similar to glyph "L", Alas, spans of 365 days start coming and do not stop coming, Back to commonly found laws and I hit our ground running, Didn't fathom not to subsist for fun, Your brain obtains thoughts but your mind obtains no thoughts, So much to do, so much to catch sight of, so what's wrong with taking a back road? You won't know if you don't go, you won't flash if you don't glow, Alas, Now! You show standards similar to that of an All Star! Boost your physical ability! Go play! Alas, Now! You show standards similar to that of an All Star! Start your show! Obtain pay! All that glints is gold, only shooting stars crack a mold!
July 23, 2017
Watched this for the first time since childhood and it was a real trip down memory lane.

I'll never fully understand this movie's weird opening and closing narration from the dad of all characters but Gizmo is one of the cutest movie creatures ever, the score is wonderfully fun, and seeing the gremlins cause their mischief is always a blast.

I seriously can't believe this hasn't been remade/rebooted yet.
July 14, 2017
The scariest Christmas movie I think I've ever seen. I understand the appeal of the Mogwai, my brother even had a Gizmo doll back in the day. The chance of them turning into gremlins however rules out any chance of me ever taking one as a pet as anyone who views the film could easily understand.
June 26, 2017
Interesting take on the lack of discipline and responsibility our current society takes with any of their actions, whether it be their children or otherwise. Shows how even child-like creatures can be led astray into excess, gluttony and vice by having caretakers lacking the discipline to guide them properly. Great simple film to wax philosophical about.
½ June 25, 2017
The dark Christmas comedy from the 80's is both a technical masterpiece and a funny, original movie that is definitely one of the 1980's best films.