Gremlins - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Gremlins Reviews

½ March 23, 2017
This movie was pretty good actually. It was a little brutal and scary, but mostly it was good. The scariness is not too bad.
½ March 21, 2017
It may be dated now and its structure cliche but Gremlins remains a darkly fun, creative film.
Grade: B-
½ March 21, 2017
Great fun, with lots of scares and fun to boot, even if its sequel is better in every way. Despite being wildly uneven in tone, it still manages to be a great movie.
March 20, 2017
The gremlins singing along to Snow White... classic!
½ March 19, 2017
An insanely violent but hilarious entertaining movie. I loved how balls to the walls it was. I had no idea what to expect but I loved it. they don't make movies like this anymore and it was so refreshing. The puppetering and effects hold up and it was really charming. An insanely fun adventure.
February 6, 2017
If there is a finer example of the manic 80's movie magic I' like to hear about it. Along with having had a major crush on Phoebe Cates, this is also a childhood favourite with the right balance of hijinx, horror, mayhem, fun and animatronic puppetry. Top stuff!
January 5, 2017
This movie is a classic! Pretty cheesy, but still really fun and always entertaining.
½ January 4, 2017
An exceptionally clever and wonderfully stylish treat, Gremlins is a film that works as pure entertainment on nearly every level, with black humor, hysterical horror, and a disdain for all things often respected, it's rare to see such a commercial film take such wonderful risks.
January 3, 2017
Here is my stream of consciousness review. A perfect movie during Christmas or any other time. The universal back lot town is obvious and recognizable but adds to the charm. The co star female is the red bikini girl from Fast Times, which I read was a controversial move at the time because of her fast times scene, which is interesting. Gizmo is adorable but I worry people are too care free when bringing home a pet of an unknown species, I would have freaked out over its very basic needs, much less the problems that later arise. The gremlins are awesome characters from the era of practical fx and any screen time they get is amazing. And their presence isn't just implied like in many monster movies that show just seconds of the monster at a time; no they spent a ton of time and money putting these dudes on screen. The introductory bar scene could have been half a minute of gags but the wild gremlin bar antics go on for what feels like ten minutes! It must have taken days to film that scene. And if that wasn't enough, later they have a packed theater full of fully animated gremlins all with even more crazy antics! It's a pretty dark and somewhat violent movie for a kids film but I think it came out a bit before Temple of Doom etc so PG 13 hadn't become a thing yet. Though he has several good movies under his belt, Gremlins is truly the masterpiece of Joe Dante
½ December 27, 2016
Nostalgia is a hell of a thing. It allows to see any form of entertainment from our past in a more favorable light than how we would actually view them as more rational and level-headed adults. That's why, sometimes, it's really hard for people to go back to the movies they loved as children. Sometimes they even avoid watching them altogether to keep from ruining those memories. So, yes, to me, Gremlins would be one of those films from my past that I loved as a child. It wasn't actually hard for me to watch this, since I've been wanting to watch it since last year's holiday season, but I just got around it to now. But, if I'm being honest, I was a little afraid that time wouldn't have been kind to this movie in its, almost, 33 years since release. But, color me surprised when I find out that this movie, does in fact, hold up after over three decades. Would I have liked this movie more if I was alive in 1984 than I did now? It's probable, but I'm not complaining about that since I found the movie to be a really entertaining flick. It also manages to sneak in some critique of consumer culture and consumerism in general. So it works on both levels. Does the movie have its rough spots? Yes, it does. I do think that the first 45 minutes, or until the first villainous gremlins appear, are a little tough to get into. The movie is never bad, of course, but you know that nothing is really gonna move forward until the gremlins do appear. They don't kill time until they get there, but it takes a little while before it gets going. It's kinda surprising that Gizmo, the adorable Mogwai featured in the movie, was a big children's toy when the film came out, I mean of course it was, which ironic given what the film criticizes. And I say surprising because, while this movie may have been rated PG when it first came out, there was no PG-13 back in the day. It was actually introduced shortly after this film came out, like a month later, as a result of how violent this movie (and Temple of Doom) both were. And that's the thing, Gizmo was seen as a kids' toy, but this isn't, by any definition, a kids' movie in the slightest. The gremlins kill several people in the movie, at least that you get to see. They get drunk, get into fights and generally they do a bunch of shit that you wouldn't see a "kids' movie" get away with now, seeing that parents are so fucking sensitive about stuff like that. There was a certain cognitize dissonance between audiences and the actual movie. It's like they thought Gizmo was cute and cuddly for their kids, regardless of the fact that he was created for a movie that it surprisingly violent. Just something to think about, really. It doesn't affect the movie one way or the other, at least to me. The gremlins going nuts and attacking anything and everything that moved was the film's highlight. And you get close to an hour of that. You might think that the gremlins' shtick gets old after a while, but I do believe they find new ways and clever ways to amp up the destruction the gremlins end up causing. Like I said, the movie is far more violent than the PG rating would imply, it's not close to an R-rating, but I even find that it's slightly more violent than even PG-13. And this is why a third sequel, particularly nowadays, worries me a lot. I'm worried because of the way the business is today that they'll strip away the film's horror elements, and I know the sequel was more darkly comedic, in exchange of a kid-friendly affair because they know they'll be able to sell far more Gizmos in this day and age than they could have in the 80s. And I don't want the film to sacrifice its own integrity just for the sake of more merchandising money. But, again, I think parents being more sensitive nowadays will make the third movie a family-friendly affair. And that pisses me off. Not because it 'ruins my childhood', which is a ridiculous nerd saying, but because the gremlins are meant to be dark and violent. So I'm hoping they don't sacrifice that style due to studio pressure. But I digress, I really liked this movie quite a bit. It definitely takes its time before introducing the gremlins themselves, but when they do, it really kicks into high gear and it doesn't really let up. I can't complain much about this movie. It's not gonna be everyone's cup of tea, particularly over 30 years after it originally came out, but a quality film is a quality film and this is definitely one of those.
December 27, 2016
A complete classic, its too funny to actually be scary but its totally worth a watch.
½ December 25, 2016
I'm guessing I haven't rated this yet because it's been forever since I last watched it. Definitely has the nostalgia factor, along with the extremely gorgeous Phoebe Cates(hey, Gizmo's not the only cute one here). A little on the kooky side sure, but it's good Christmas entertainment so yeah.
December 23, 2016
I didn´t go into this movie expecting to be scared. I just wanted to have fun. And boy, was is funny. The ridiculousness yet creativity of it makes it one of the most enjoyable movies I´ve seen in a long time. And of course, Gizmo is the cutest.
½ December 17, 2016
a really fun horror, mix of dark comedy for Christmas Eve
½ December 16, 2016
"Gremlins" come of as both a creepy yet cute charming and evil flick in pure 80s nostalgia setting.
December 12, 2016
Gremlins is a true masterpiece of perfect tone and satire, and one of the most devious, malicious, dark and gleefully anarchic mainstream blockbusters ever made, what starts as a cutesy, whimsical Disney esc boy and his unusual, unbearably cute pet Christmas story shifts gears completely into a violent, blackly hilarious horror comedy that acts as a playfully malicious attack on the whole festive season and the cynical, consumer culture fulled greedy, shallow ugliness that now festers underneath all the pretty glowing lights, glittery tinsel, jovial songs and hollow good tidings's to all. The older it gets the more ballsy and daring Gremlins looks, and the more utterly, jaw droppingly vicious in it's misanthropy you realize it is (sample dialogue exchange: Billy: I always thought everyone was happy during the holidays, no matter what.
Kate: Most people are, but some aren't. While everybody else opens up presents, they're opening up their wrists.
Billy: Cheery thought.
Kate: It's true. The suicide rate's always the highest around the holidays.) the most glaring example and the scene which encapsulates the whole of Gremlins is the incredibly bleak, dark scene were Kate reveals the harrowing story of why she really hates Christmas. All of this happy nastiness is mixed beautifully with Dante's sense of utter fun, invention and boundless love for movies (see the references to It's A Wonderful Life, Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs, The Time Machine, and Loony Toon's shorts) this movie is packed with nods, cameos (look out for Steven Spielberg and Chuck Jones) and in-jokes and clever homages throughout, it's a true movie buffs delight. Then of course theres the stars of the show, the Gremlins themselves, like an evil version of The Muppets, they cut a merry swathe through the movie and we get great pleasure in seeing them punish all the asshole humans, especially sweet is Mrs Deagle's hilarious fate. Then you've got Gizmo, without doubt the cutest character in the history of film, impossibly cuddly, lovable and good natured and the film cruelly delights in torturing the little guy at every turn. Luckily he also turns out to be a complete badass too. To top off this thing of evil/ feel good perfection, you get the late great Jerry Goldsmiths masterful, perfectly pitched, playful yet sinister score, which captures the darkly whimsical tone of the movie so incredibly it induces chills, and Joe Dante's direction is just completely ingenious on every level. Gremlins is the greatest Christmas movie ever, because it's brutally honest about the sham that Christmas has become in modern times, the obsession with greed, excess, more more more, and says that maybe the best thing is to tear down and destroy the holiday so that in the end we can see what's real and meaningful underneath all the grotesque artifice. So in that way, it really is the ultimate film about the holiday.
December 11, 2016
A christmas classic and a childhood favorite. Its a little cheesy at times due to the special effects of the 80's but overall a very enjoyable movie.
½ December 7, 2016
Very creepy little monsters in this holiday classic! Gizmo is still the man!
½ December 6, 2016
This has an excellent story with a great sense of humor.
½ December 5, 2016
A film which resulted in angry parental complaints because, alongside Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, was too dark for its PG rating (and thus resulting in the MPAA giving birth to the PG-13 rating), Gremlins is nevertheless a classic thanks in large part to its special effects, adorable creature which goes by the name of Gizmo, great mix of fantasy, horror and comedy and a compelling story that ought to entertain audiences of at least ages 11 and up.