Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hero Reviews

March 20, 2017
It's a visually beautiful film, yet very repetitive. Just the same fight sequences over and over but in different colours.
½ March 7, 2017
Some of the most beautiful cinematography ever.
½ March 5, 2017
Disappointed, expected a lot more story with all the high ratings
Great visual effects but weak storyline and what lesson do you learn?
No one sticks to their true principles
Pure fantasy
February 19, 2017
Hero is visually amazing, but when it comes to the story if fails.
February 14, 2017
It took me three viewings of this movie to realize the scope of what it is trying to say and what it is saying.
This movie is a masterwork of Martial Arts choreography and wire-work, cinematography, color scheming, political commentary, theme building, character development, and narritive. All of those things by themselves can make a great movie but in this movie they are used in conjunction so brilliantly that they bring the film to the highest level of achievement.

This movie is beautiful, puzzling, heartbreaking, and challenging.
Watch this movie. If it doesn't make sense, wait a year or two, watch it again. Then wait another few years and watch it again.
½ February 14, 2017
Wow! If I didn't think that one word would serve as a lame review I would stop there, because that's how I felt when I was done watching Hero. I was in awe of this film for two key reasons: First of all, I simply adore this style of story-telling. I love the way it continues to retell bits of the story, but changes the context or point of view each time. Not only does it keep me on the edge of my seat wondering what will be revealed as the true story, but it also reminds me of real life and the way there are multiple viewpoints to every story that is told. The second amazing aspect of Hero was the visuals. I could not get over how Zhang Yimou utilized color themes in order to differentiate each telling of the story. Between remarkable costuming, great sets, and perfect environments each scene was a site to behold. The action was superb, and I loved how the filmmakers knew when to utilize slow motion. This film features the gravity-defying style of martial arts that became world-renowned in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, and I think it fits since most of this film is like a fairy tale. I swear, despite my personal difficulty with foreign language films, this could easily become one of my favorite movies of all time if I get to watch it a few more times. I highly recommend it to anyone who's interested.
February 10, 2017
One of the most beautiful movie
December 17, 2016
A brilliant use of colors and acting, Hero isn't a film as much as it is a work of breathtaking art. Light on the dialogue, it is a visual feast and merits multiple viewings.
December 6, 2016
Very beautiful story. Very beautiful pictures. One of the best Chinese movies of all time.
December 6, 2016
A beautiful, complex film that benefits from careful viewing. The use of color establishes clear themes for each retelling of the core story while subtly weaving the disparate versions together. While passion might dominate the red portion of the story, it also appears in the other segments is less obvious ways. Another strong point (for this viewer) was the ambiguity of the film's plot. Any of the different versions of the stories could be true or false - what matters is the titular hero's choice.
TL;DR: Visually beautiful film that tells a story about self sacrifice, passion and choice.
November 17, 2016
Hero showed me not just epic, but elegant and romantic martial art scenes that will forever stay in my memory. The battles, embedded in an engaging multidimensional story line, ultimately served me one wholesome spiritual experience of a kind of majestic love for all.
November 3, 2016
Hero isn't the most original in terms of storytelling as it uses the structure of 'Rashomon' and some fantasy elements of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', but what it lacks in originality, it more than compensates with a moving feel to it, a thematically rich storyline, mostly terrific action sequences, many memorable scenes, excellent direction from Zhang Yimou and absolutely gorgeous cinematography with sumptuous costumes and a wonderful use of colors.
½ October 22, 2016
beautiful and spectacular
October 12, 2016
Truly a masterpiece,looking at the budget and the quality of the film ,it is clear that it was put to good use citing that it is one of the most expensive films in terms of budget.A number of factors stood out for me,first how the cinematographer Doyle manages to use the eyes in the characters to communicate with limited conversation is just out of this world.Another outstanding factor is that,in comparison to other films particularly the stunts you realise that they use a lot of moving shots to capture the martial arts unlike in Hero where the scene is on a wide but the ease and flow with which they perform the art is just superb.I think this is one of the best films by Zhang Yimou and would encourage any other film enthusiast to watch
October 11, 2016
Hero as one of the most highly budgeted movies ,to me what got my attention is the use of music and how it shows the connection with martial arts. In the first fight scene is where we see the connection of music and martial arts in detail in the whole film we also hear how the action flows with the music.
The cinematographer also used splashes of glamorous color in the film, in the fight scenes with the yellow leaves was just amazing. The fight scene on the lake was also an exceptional piece while they dodged each other's swords on air; we get to understand the art in martial arts.
October 11, 2016
AMAZING
After too many people recommended me to watch the most expensive Chinese film ever made, I finally did. To be honest my mind was blown away, this is a masterpiece. To start, when you hear of a China Kung-Fu action film you think of the normal unbearable films. But hero was awesome, each fight sequence was well done especially the lake fight sequence. Every shot was worth the time put on it.
The production design done in this film was very good. I had to watch the film twice to get the plot. The story was a bit hard to understand. But by watching the second time, the story unfolds in your mind and you can confidently make a judgement about the film.
The pacing of the film was well done especially in the fight scenes they were not too fast nor too slow unlike most Hollywood films. Now it's time to name the best scene, this was the fight scene between the two ladies. At the end of the scene the color of the leaves turn to red nice play
Finally it's a shame I never had a chance to watch the movie in the cinemas, despite that it is finally one of my best films of all time.
½ October 6, 2016
Breathtaking visuals, excellent fight sequences, and a narrative that is both thin and robust Hero should not be missed.
Grade: A-
September 17, 2016
Gorgeous and with some of the best Martial arts fight scenes ever put to film.
September 17, 2016