Hero - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Hero Reviews

December 6, 2016
Very beautiful story. Very beautiful pictures. One of the best Chinese movies of all time.
December 6, 2016
A beautiful, complex film that benefits from careful viewing. The use of color establishes clear themes for each retelling of the core story while subtly weaving the disparate versions together. While passion might dominate the red portion of the story, it also appears in the other segments is less obvious ways. Another strong point (for this viewer) was the ambiguity of the film's plot. Any of the different versions of the stories could be true or false - what matters is the titular hero's choice.
TL;DR: Visually beautiful film that tells a story about self sacrifice, passion and choice.
November 17, 2016
Hero showed me not just epic, but elegant and romantic martial art scenes that will forever stay in my memory. The battles, embedded in an engaging multidimensional story line, ultimately served me one wholesome spiritual experience of a kind of majestic love for all.
November 3, 2016
Hero isn't the most original in terms of storytelling as it uses the structure of 'Rashomon' and some fantasy elements of 'Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon', but what it lacks in originality, it more than compensates with a moving feel to it, a thematically rich storyline, mostly terrific action sequences, many memorable scenes, excellent direction from Zhang Yimou and absolutely gorgeous cinematography with sumptuous costumes and a wonderful use of colors.
½ October 22, 2016
beautiful and spectacular
October 12, 2016
Truly a masterpiece,looking at the budget and the quality of the film ,it is clear that it was put to good use citing that it is one of the most expensive films in terms of budget.A number of factors stood out for me,first how the cinematographer Doyle manages to use the eyes in the characters to communicate with limited conversation is just out of this world.Another outstanding factor is that,in comparison to other films particularly the stunts you realise that they use a lot of moving shots to capture the martial arts unlike in Hero where the scene is on a wide but the ease and flow with which they perform the art is just superb.I think this is one of the best films by Zhang Yimou and would encourage any other film enthusiast to watch
October 11, 2016
Hero as one of the most highly budgeted movies ,to me what got my attention is the use of music and how it shows the connection with martial arts. In the first fight scene is where we see the connection of music and martial arts in detail in the whole film we also hear how the action flows with the music.
The cinematographer also used splashes of glamorous color in the film, in the fight scenes with the yellow leaves was just amazing. The fight scene on the lake was also an exceptional piece while they dodged each other's swords on air; we get to understand the art in martial arts.
October 11, 2016
AMAZING
After too many people recommended me to watch the most expensive Chinese film ever made, I finally did. To be honest my mind was blown away, this is a masterpiece. To start, when you hear of a China Kung-Fu action film you think of the normal unbearable films. But hero was awesome, each fight sequence was well done especially the lake fight sequence. Every shot was worth the time put on it.
The production design done in this film was very good. I had to watch the film twice to get the plot. The story was a bit hard to understand. But by watching the second time, the story unfolds in your mind and you can confidently make a judgement about the film.
The pacing of the film was well done especially in the fight scenes they were not too fast nor too slow unlike most Hollywood films. Now it's time to name the best scene, this was the fight scene between the two ladies. At the end of the scene the color of the leaves turn to red nice play
Finally it's a shame I never had a chance to watch the movie in the cinemas, despite that it is finally one of my best films of all time.
½ October 6, 2016
Breathtaking visuals, excellent fight sequences, and a narrative that is both thin and robust Hero should not be missed.
Grade: A-
September 17, 2016
Gorgeous and with some of the best Martial arts fight scenes ever put to film.
September 17, 2016
Very Very Great Movie!
½ September 10, 2016
Was a decent flick, certainly brilliantly shot both in action and cinematography but it felt too much like a poorer Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon for me to give too high a score.
August 17, 2016
Nonsensicle Chinese Propaganda Film
½ August 7, 2016
One of the many films that serve as heritage from the great Kurosawa, it presented a different path for asian cinema breaking conventional storytelling but build on that same legacy by paying tribute to traditional values with great action, script and a stunning visual concept.
August 2, 2016
:fresh: What a pity that Hollywood has no interest in making films as beautiful as the movie HERO.
Great masterpieces must obviously be imported to The Land of Plastic Rules ..... come on citizens of the USA !!! please stop settling for smut for then we will get what we deserve~
½ July 13, 2016
A brilliant use of colors and acting, Hero isn't a film as much as it is a work of breathtaking art. Light on the dialogue, it is a visual feast and merits multiple viewings.
June 27, 2016
10 on 10.
This is one of the best movies ever made.
Enough said.
Recommend.
June 27, 2016
This was great to look at and visually it is spectacular but I found the story to drag and fairly wank.
½ June 26, 2016
Vraiment eu du mal avec ce film. Kung-fu, oui. Voler et marcher sur l'eau, c'est non.
April 20, 2016
This is an visually marvelous movie, telling several stories mixing masterfully colors and themes