The High and the Mighty Reviews

• Aug 12, 2019

The worst movie you'll ever see, please do yourself a favor and do not waste your time, extremely awful, boring, cheap, and horrid.

• Apr 15, 2019

Loved this movie since I was a kid, although my dad didn't care much for it because he was an airline pilot. He saw too many flaws in the technical aspects. I still love the performance by all of the cast.

• Mar 03, 2019

The original and archetype of the airline disaster movie genre. Crudely done by more modern standards but all the elements are here

• Feb 20, 2019

One disaster after another happens on this trans-Pacific flight. You have the pilot who loses his nerve! The washed-up co-pilot. The milquetoast flight engineer. The young hot shot second officer. And a cabin full of passengers with every range of problems and personalities there could possibly be. Here you have the Duke in a role he didn't want, and a movie with the title song that became Duke's theme. What else could any John Wayne fan want? It's all here, and then some. The High and the Mighty was one of the first (and most profitable) entries in the "terror in the sky" genre. Everyone aboard has so much personal baggage, it's amazing the plane can even get off the ground. Still I found these oddball character studies Wonderfully entertaining. The High and the Mighty is a weird film. I like it . I never can get enough of John Wayne and he is good here. This film has more than enough fine moments generated by a cast of familiar faces to keep me interest.

• Feb 01, 2019

The best thrilling movie ever made!

The best thrilling movie ever made!

• Mar 16, 2018

A surprisingly intimate and absorbing film that is easy for the cynical to dislike. Most of the film takes place inside an aircraft, yet it feels like a big movie. John Wayne has little dialogue and does not have much to do till the end of the film but his physical presence helps keep our attention. Exposition scenes in which the characters relate their back stories may have been accepted practice in 1954 but now seems banal. Characters which have since become stereotypes date the film. On the plus side the original print has been restored to its full CinemaScope glory and Dimitri Tiomkin's glorious, Oscar winning score adds pace and tension. Lush strings and haunting melody give the final landing of the aircraft an unexpected emotional resonance. Combined with the landing lights appearing like a cross this scene takes on an almost religious quality. There are some nice small touches throughout the film, such as when we see the broken wing of a balsa wood model plane, and Wayne placing a blanket over a small child whilst announcing the worst possible news to the passengers. The film's influence can be seen in later disaster movies and particularly in the spoof 'Airplane', and perhaps because of this it is easy to make fun of some of its plot devices and characterizations, which now feel well worn. However, 'The High and the Mighty' is worth watching just to hear Tiomkin's magnificent score.

• Feb 14, 2017

Overlong disaster in the air flick. It was possibly the first of its kind. Despite that it is only occasionally interesting. The characters soap opera lives seem forced. Jan Sterling probably comes off best.

• Jun 14, 2016

Its the first John Wayne movie Ive seen. Its a great movie, why is it seen as rotten?

• Jan 24, 2016

Not enough Wayne in this is my comment. It's the original disaster movie. I love how the producers of the spoof series Airplane used an actor from this and drew material from it. It's too long for starters, it has some nice flashback scenes to give backstory to the passengers of the plane. But some are just too annoying to care about. Wayne is the best part of the movie. When he bitchslaps the captain is a laugh out loud great moment. Also when he is calming down the passengers of the plane is a great scene. But you don't connect with a lot of the passengers and really are not bothered if they make it or not. The end is rather predictable and frustrating. But it has ts moments. Mind you are a fan of John Wayne then watch it. He does what he does. But as a movie it's not the best. I can see what it tried to do but comes up short.

• Aug 09, 2015

Loved it then. And loved the music.

Loved it then. And loved the music.