High Road to China Reviews

• Jun 23, 2017

Worst adventure movie ever shot. Appalling on every level. Writing, direction, art department, performances, and much more. Worst of all, boring as shit.

• May 31, 2015

An Indiana Jones knockoff starring Spielberg's original choice for Indy: Tom Selleck. Instead of an archaeologist and his tomboy girlfriend we've got an ex-flying ace and the woman who hired him to hunt down her father so she isn't disinherited. It's not... quite as good a combination. Tom Selleck though, is every bit the drunken charming rogue the film calls for. It's a shame he wasn't in more roles like this. The rest of the cast is alright, though it does have the most racist villains I've seen in a while, with Brian Blessed playing an Afghani warlord with the same level of subtlety as, well, Brian Blessed. It feels like his failed audition reel for Ming the Merciless. The plot is solid enough, and based on the same '30s serials that Indy used for inspiration. It might not have very high stakes or the best villains but it has more flying scenes and some pretty scenery. And the action scenes aren't too bad, even if they don't compare well to Indy (what does?). There's a certain liveliness missing though and the film can never quite manage to elicit the thrills it's aiming at. Still, there's a reason these kinds of films were popular, and it does manage to pull off its adventure seeking better than any other Jones knockoffs I can think of short of The Mummy. So not a bad way to waste a couple hours.

• Apr 11, 2015

Not so much the high road as somewhere in the middle.

Not so much the high road as somewhere in the middle.

• Mar 10, 2015

This film had two strikes going against it when it came out, which squashed it's overall star rating, and buried it's legacy at the box offices. You'll notice these strikes mentioned in a lot of these old reviews. Strike One: It came out a year after Indiana Jones. Not uncommon for Hollywood to come out with a bunch of copycat films all at once, some of which can be better than the original films they're copying. It's just that Raider's was too epic to have a follow-up that wouldn't pale in comparison. Also, because of this, the copycat films didn't really come out in full force until the mid 80's. As a result this film stood there all alone with no hope of comparing to Raiders. Strike Two: Tom Selleck was offered the role of Indy and turned it down. Can you come up with a juicier bit of fodder for critics? They went to town on that one, as you can read in these old reviews. What about the film though? It's not bad. They nailed the period setting of exotic locales as far as I'm concerned. The action is good, the performances are good. It captures pretty well The Indiana Jones style of adventure. So, it's not Indiana Jones. Who cares? What's wrong with a good adventure flick that follows the style of a film. Raiders created a whole genre of adventure films, and yet when you look at the serial adventures it was based on you realize it didn't create them either. This film is the first attempt at continuing with that genre, only when it came out people couldn't see it was following a genre, and treated it like a knock off. This is a solid 75% adventure film, and should be given another shot by modern viewers who aren't conflicted with the bias this film encountered. Enjoy!

• Oct 09, 2014

Tom Selleck as P. O'Malley is such a perfect fit and Bess Armstrong compliments every breathtaking scene, and a wonderful score (soundtrack) by the incomparable John Barry. The cinematography & sweeping panoramic vistas are a sumptuous feast for the eyes and ears. This film is time well spent!

• Oct 08, 2013

This film may not be well known but its terrific for anyone who loves aviation, adventure, or a great love story. I grew up to this film so I maybe biased but it motivated me to get out and see the world. I just love it!

• May 31, 2013

High Road to Entertainment

High Road to Entertainment

• Nov 04, 2012

(4 1/2 Stars) I know High Road to China was made after the popularity of Raiders of the Lost Ark, so people may see it as a copy... but like Indiana Jones, it's extremely entertaining. It's a very appealing adventure film that trots around the globe and has larger than life action scenes. O'Malley (Tom Selleck) is a great tortured lead and the bold Eve (Bess Armstrong) isn't a damsel in distress; she's at times more of a daredevil than O'Malley. The main antagonist is Bentik (Robert Morley) who is a rich evil British man who verbally beats his lackey... he's the funniest part of the film. There are some great dogfights in the sky and so many epic action scenes. The mark of a fun adventure flick: lots of explosions. It's not just Indiana Jones that it reminds me of; it's also kind of 80's James Bond-esque (think Roger Moore). Then I saw the film is scored by John Barry, who composed 11 of the Bond films. There are also moments of light humor mixed with incredible action set pieces; this is the meat of films like Octopussy and The Spy Who Loved Me. High Road to China may be seen as an Indiana Jones knock off, but it's more than that. If you have the means to watch it, do it!

• Oct 17, 2012

If you don't like this move then you don't like yourself.

If you don't like this move then you don't like yourself.

• Sep 24, 2012

Magnum and Beth Armstrong from Jaws 3 love it!

Magnum and Beth Armstrong from Jaws 3 love it!