Hollywood Hotel Reviews

• Feb 01, 2019

The best musical movie ever made! With the best movie song ever sung: Hooray for Hollywood!

• Feb 01, 2015

Busby Berkeley-directed film has a sluggish plot, but comes alive during the musical numbers including "Hooray for Hollywood," "I'm Like a Fish Out of Water," "I'm Hitchin' My Wagon to a Star," and Benny Goodman & His Orchestra.

• Jul 22, 2014

another light hearted musical comedy

another light hearted musical comedy

• Nov 23, 2012

2: It blows my mind that this is a Busby Berkeley film. I guess I should say it was directed by Berkeley, but it isn't what I would call a Busby Berkeley picture. It seems to me he worked best when he only had to worry about dance numbers and choreography. He was a genius in this respect, but this is basically just another throwaway Hollywood musical of the era. Nothing particularly special or memorable about it or any of the performances. Still, it is mildly entertaining.

• jay n Super Reviewer
    Jul 15, 2011

Silly film is still interesting for some great music it contains as well as the Busby Berkeley touch plus amusing turns from Alan Mowbray, Lola Lane and Glenda Farrell plus the great Frances Langford in fine voice. Louella Parsons is stiff as a board but still one of the few chances to see her in action.

• Feb 01, 2011

This is a pretty good studio ensemble based musical. Lot's of great scene stealing character actors, fun dialogue and good musical numbers make for a diverting movie! Nicely enjoyable. Good for a night like tonight when I can't sleep and need some fun entertainment.

• Nov 10, 2008

Decent, but misses the crazy finale so you kind of feel unfulfilled since it's just a standard good musical.

• Sep 22, 2008

How does Hugh Herbert fit into this movie's plot? Aha, three quarters of the way through it's revealed he's the movie star's father. Maybe that was conveyed early on but there was a lot of stuff being established at the beginning. This movie starts brightly with Ronnie Bowers heading off to Hollywood in the latest passenger airliner. He arrives with a $100 a week contract and soon after is enlisted to escort the movie star's lookalike to a premier. This movie is like a box of chocolates in that it has many bon bon moments but few of them truly connect. In there is one mildly offensive scene but it may have been satire. You'll know it when it comes up. I found this to be a cheery piece of fluff and I liked it. Besides, in how many movies do you get to see Benny Goodman perform? For those who have a taste for Art Deco, big band, slight plots and lush scenery I recommend this.