Hondo Reviews

• Sep 16, 2020

One of the Dukes best.

One of the Dukes best.

• Jul 21, 2020

Interchangeable with a million other of the star's films.

Interchangeable with a million other of the star's films.

• Apr 11, 2020

This one had been on my list for some time. It was good Starz had it. It was good, but different. Indian, father son, bad marriage and even government relations at play here.

• Jun 07, 2019

A Good John Wayne Movie!

A Good John Wayne Movie!

• Apr 02, 2019

Hondo is a western directed by John Farrow. The film stars John Wayne as Hondo Lane and Geraldine Page as Angie Lowe. The acting in the film works and I find that the actors fit the characters very nicely. John Wayne is becoming one of my favourite western actors and I can say that he didn't disappoint in this film. The characters are fun and enjoyable to watch especially Hondo Lane. Hondo in my opinion is one of the much more grounded western characters which I found fit the film a lot more then someone like The man with no name would. The film also has some good cinematography with some impressive shots especially for a film that came out in 1953. One shot in particular was one in which Hondo is running from the Native Americans on the top of a hill and then has to slide down with his horse. Very good setting with the house in the middle of nowhere surrounded by nothing but sand and small patches of water. The set design and props fit the film really well from the guns to the houses design. The costume design also fits the film really well especially with Hondo in his tasseled jacket and blue and red scarf. The practical effects may be dated but are still impressive for the time, and that's not to say all of it was bad there were still some good practical effects. In my opinion the action is done really well especially for the time. I especially liked one scene in which Hondo is helping two men from some Native Americans. The dialogue is good and steady and fits the era very well. The editing is steady even though sometimes you can see when they jump cut shots. The music like most westerns is very good and pleasant to listen too. The music also fits the film very nicely giving it a classic feel to it. The story follows Hondo as he wanders into a woman and child's life after escaping Native Americans. He then befriends the woman and child before he leaves again. Later on he returns and decides too make his bond with them even stronger. The film also had some good atmosphere, especially one scene that takes place at night toward the end of the film. The film in my opinion was also quite enjoyable, but I don't think that I will be watching it anytime soon. Over all I give it a 6/10 - strong

• Apr 02, 2019

Thought provoking western. Something that doesn't happen often.

Thought provoking western. Something that doesn't happen often.

• Aug 06, 2018

I am a big fan of John wayne. Hondo is another good western movie. It's got a wonderful story to it. Ward bond is back once again. And I am a big fan of Ward bond.

• Jul 04, 2018

Hondo is Louis L'Amour on-screen gold.

Hondo is Louis L'Amour on-screen gold.

• Dec 08, 2017

Army scout Hondo Lane (played by John Wayne) stumbles across an isolated homestead in the middle of Apache territory. The inhabitants - a woman and her son - believe they are safe, as there is a treaty with the Apaches. Lane knows better though, as the Army has just broken the treaty, causing the Apache to seek revenge on settlers. Despite being a scout for the US Army, Lane has sympathies for the Apaches, having been married to a native American woman and living with her people for five years. With divided loyalties he now has to tread a fine line. Based on a Louis L'Amour novel, this is one of John Wayne's lesser-known movies. It's easy to see why - is quite short and doesn't have the grandness and epicness of his classics. Plot is quite simple, almost too simple at times. Yet, for the most part, it works. Good action scenes, some profound, even emotional, moments and John Wayne even gets to be more than just an action hero at times, showing some vulnerable moments. Not brilliant - the simplicity and lack of depth in the story prevents that, as well as some scenes being fairly clumsily written. Geraldine Page, in her feature film debut, isn't entirely convincing either. Still, reasonably entertaining.

• Nov 12, 2017

A perfect western. Is there a better John Wayne movie? Page is a remarkable piece of casting. The other star is the Apache. Not cowboy and Indian but human conflict, with heroes and villains on both sides with Wayne's final salute to the loss of an honorable way of life..