The Hottest State Reviews

• Sep 18, 2015

How cool and self aware this picture feels about itself is totally unwarranted.....pretentious piece of crap.

• Oct 10, 2013

The folksy music assists the storyline with mood and emotions that compliment the actors as they expound the script. Naturalistic acting gives an overall sense of the complicated web of the mind as it seeks to comprehend the beauty within a relationship. Softly acted, bringing forth many thoughts and emotions as the heart breaks. Nibbles: Carrot cake and butterscotch sauce.

• Jan 13, 2013

A játékid? egy jelent?s részében ez töltötte ki a gondolataimat: "Zzzzzzzzzzz..." A maradékban pedig ez (ahogy a f?h?s verg?dését elnéztem): "Mi a f@sz bajod van neked???"

• Dec 28, 2012

let it be, and leave the past behind you....that's all. I know it's hard but all you gotta do is move along, move along, even when your hope is gone move along...

• Sep 26, 2012

never read the book, but the dialogue and the acting was excellent...kinda odd seeing Ethan Hawke play father to a twenty-one year old character...looking forward to seeing more of the actress Catalina

• Sep 16, 2012

Realistically captures the anxieties of first love and heartbreak.

Realistically captures the anxieties of first love and heartbreak.

• Feb 29, 2012

A slow, sultry movie that actually reminds me a lot of Tennessee Williams.

A slow, sultry movie that actually reminds me a lot of Tennessee Williams.

• Dec 17, 2011

The acting was suburb and long cuts were made the film seem more realistic. The story hits me quite hard and I can relate to the William character because I am/was in the same shoes as him, almost to the tee. The film felt so real to me, at times I almost feeling what William was feeling, which is really quite rare while watching a movie. They may have dragged on the first half a bit much, I would have liked to have seen more of the resolution and growing William went through. All in all, excellent movie.

• Dec 11, 2011

• Apr 07, 2011

I really wanted to like this. Seemed like a great story and I always respect when an established actor ventures into other art. Ethan Hawke wrote a novel then adapated a screenplay and directed it. Maybe this is a case of his prior work getting in the way. There are some great shots. That is the best thing about the movie...the shot of the guy with a cigarette and baseball bat in his room after meeting the girl. The shot of him watching her in bed. There are some later but nothing quite as good as those. The shots, along with some decent music in the beginning, had the movie heading in the right direction. A lot of people don't like Moreno as the lead female. Maybe she is fine. Webber may also be fine. It's hard to tell if it is the actors, the characters, or the writing that bothered me. I think it is the writing as the characters didn't do the things I thought real people would do, and they certainly didn't say real things. As I mentioned earlier, Hawke's earlier acting work includes the talking films Before Sunrise and Before Sunset. Those movies are nothing but talking for 90 minutes but manage to work. There is a lot of talking in this movie but often the chemistry and dialogue are lacking. In the end, I think it's a bit too pretentious. Near the end, the guy yells some Shakespeare at her window (I think it is Romeo and Juliet and in a bit of humor, a neighbor actually says, "Shut up, Romeo" and it is funny for someone to recognize it), but who really does that? It's just too movie and working too hard for emotion. That and all the music. In the beginning, it set a nice tone. By the end, it was just too much, virtually never stopping. Again, I think with stronger dialogue, it wouldn't have needed masked with music. But some hot scenes, some great shots, and who in the hell painted that gunfighter picture early on in the bar? I sure want a copy.