House By the River Reviews

• Dec 13, 2014

this might me my least favorite movie by fritz lang so far

this might me my least favorite movie by fritz lang so far

• Nov 08, 2014

Fritz Lang worked his magic and created a piece of work that a big budget film would envy!

• Aug 01, 2013

A ferociously suspenseful murder drama made terrifying by Fritz Lang's trademark meticulousness with set design and Louis Hayward's mad, Wellesian performance.

• Apr 02, 2013

Surely one of the best (cinematic) depictions of a (class-based, and of course sex-based) murder (and murderer) and its publicity (and cover-up).

• Jan 03, 2013

Visually impressive like all Lang. It's a tad below some of his other Noirs but it's still stunning stuff.

• Stephen E Super Reviewer
    Nov 09, 2012

"House by the River" is another one of those movies that never answers the oh-so-important question of 'Why should we care?' It's about as boring as you can imagine, underacted and sluggishly scripted. Fritz Lang is a director that I tend to rank above others from his era, but here he just misses the mark.

• Aj V Super Reviewer
    Sep 26, 2012

I really enjoyed this melodramatic gothic mystery tale. There aren't many big stars in it, but everyone does a good job. It's exciting and has romance, a lot of drama, and even some laughs. This is a very interesting movie, more like the 40s than 50s, actually. I recommend it.

• Sep 21, 2012

House by the River is one of those noir movies that perfectly fit into the horror genre. Its sombre atmosphere, macabre feel, use of light and shady cinematography compose a masterful amount of greatly thrilling and scary sensations. Stephen Byrne murders his maid, and then asks his brother John for help with burying the body in the nearby river. After a series of accidents, its John who's blamed for the girl's death. What's more, Stephen is perfectly ok with that and even starts to write a book about this horrifying case. Its a good brother vs. evil brother showcase of the most electrifying kind. Fritz Lang's under-appreciated work.

• Apr 08, 2012

Very solid thriller on a shoestring budget. Louis Hayward is the standout in this as Stephen Byrne, the aspiring novelist and womaniser.