House Of Boys Reviews

• Nov 17, 2020

House of Boys lacks nuance in its script, and the pacing and tonal shifts are all over the place. Still, all of the characters are so well developed, the first half is a lot of fun and the second one, though too disparate in tone and plot, was still very emotional and tough to sit through.

• Dec 27, 2014

A very open view of the lives that still effect the gay community and still is unspoken and feared. A film that is emotional and very real still today. Recommended for all but even more so for the LGBTQ community.

• Sep 24, 2014

A child of the 80s, this movie took me back to a time of first love and a promise to myself to die of anything other than AIDS. My favorite line in the movie is Frank looking down at a pocket watch and tells the doctor treating his dying boyfriend "I was just thinking about time. it's funny, when you have it,you don't need it. when you need it you don't have it."

• May 05, 2014

Entertaining but extremely inconsistent in tone.

Entertaining but extremely inconsistent in tone.

• Dec 23, 2013

Coming of age drama, sex comedy, AIDS melodrama, musical, love story. This film is a mixed bag to say the least. Its confused identity is likely its failure. Certain aspects of it are great fun and the tragic turn is almost poignant. It just seems too dragged out and yet the story is rather underdeveloped. It's a pleasing cast of characters and an interesting premise. The minor characters are far more interesting than Frank & Jake though, which is where we are left to steep in at the end, topped off with a very pointless epilogue. Fun musical numbers and an entertaining supporting cast make this mildly recommendable. The last reel is a bit of a downer though.

• Dec 13, 2013

This movie has been done several times before, and better.

This movie has been done several times before, and better.

• Jun 30, 2013

Wildly ambitious, HOUSE OF BOYS, bites off a bit more than it can chew but still displays an authority lacking in most films. Structured in 3 parts, the first 2 sections work beautifully, documenting the life of a young gay runaway and his entre into the HOUSE. The musical numbers in the second section are witty, sophisticated, and sexy. HOUSE puts larger budgeted films to shame with what achieves with so little. Talent is the key not money and HOUSE has it in spades. The last more serious 3rd section, focuses on the beginning of the AIDS crisis and thought it is blunt and honest, this last section feels a bit empty and stretched out. As if the filmmakers have nothing more to say than, look how horrible this is. To make up for this, there are sudden leaps that make no sense and undermine the severity of the work, but these quips still cannot diminish the impact of this overall wonderful and ambitious film.

• Apr 30, 2013

Je viens de pleurer comme une madeleine devant ce film retraçant les années 80 dans la communauté gay. Les bonnes choses, les mauvaises. De nombreux hommages notamment à Cyril Collard et Les Nuits Fauves, des références culturelles en nombre et des acteurs magnifiques et émouvants.

• Feb 21, 2013

Surprisingly good film! It is a coming of age story that takes place in Amsterdam during the mid 80's. Frank (Layke Anderson) is a totally gay and out of the closet teen who has issues living with his traditional family so he leaves home one rainy night and ends up at a go-go boys place called House of Boys. There he meets Madame (Udo Kier) who runs the place and decides to hire the boy initially as a bartender, later on as a dancer/stripper. While at this home he meets other boys such as Angelo (S. Webb) who desires to undergo a sex change surgery to become a woman, Jake (B. Northover) who is straight and only "gay for pay", and a few other guys. A friendship develops between Jake and Frank that will test them as time goes by. Acting was good, the music score was nice as well and the writer/director did a fine job with this one. So many teens and even adults fall into the lure of easy money, sex and drugs without realizing that there is a heavy toll to pay and actions have consequences, some detrimental and even fatal. I dare not reveal anything more otherwise I will give it away but rest assured that House of Boys indeed gives a real, raw and deep understanding of the true meaning of love. Recommended and available on Netflix instant streaming on HD.

• Dec 13, 2012

Powerful and gripping story of the early AIDS pandemic in Amsterdam. I rate it higher than others; I appreciated the accuracy of content and genuine emotion.