In Good Company Reviews

• Jul 27, 2017

It tried to be a romantic movie but got jumbled into a mess of far too many ideas that didn't go well with eachother. They are a sports magazine company bought by a cell phone company that wants to sell cereal to women in other countries, and to do this they have to fire everyone that works there and knows the business, and work for a kid who "is scared s+&t less." Then they tried to add in a secret romance, a pregnancy and tennis.

• Apr 05, 2017

Is corporate culture this bad? Maybe so which is why I started my own business many years ago. Pretty good family story though I didn't like the part where the daughter seduces her dad's boss in her college dorm for what turns out to be truly casual sex. Pretty good acting.

• Feb 08, 2017

It's good movie to watch

It's good movie to watch

• Jul 23, 2016

Its fair share of Mickey Mouse bullshit, but levels out toward the end.

Its fair share of Mickey Mouse bullshit, but levels out toward the end.

• Apr 23, 2016

Thinking ahead to what my future career might bring me is among the few things that can consume me with instantaneous anxiety. I'm aware that I'm not alone in experiencing this phenomenon - most people my age are nervous to think about the person they might become in a decade - but I consistently ponder what adulthood will consist of. Once I graduate from college, will the transition from an academic life to a vocational one be smooth? Will it be slow and treacherous? Or will it, perhaps, be nothing like what I'd thought it would be? For "In Good Company's" Carter Duryea (Topher Grace), crippling doubts have never much crossed his mind. A jewel of his business school, no obstacle has ever proven to be too big for him. There's an unmistakable twinkle in his eye. And who can blame him? At twenty-six, he's married to a beautiful brunette (Selma Blair), has just gotten a high ranking job at an advertising agency, and is exactly where he was hoping to be at this point in his life. Things can't go wrong - or can they? As it turns out, they can. After seven months, his wife leaves him. Minutes after buying a brand-new Porsche to reward himself for his hard work, he's T-boned by a passing car. Worst of all, his job isn't the cushy, exciting one he thought it was going to be; while he quickly makes his way to the top of "Sports America," the company he's been hired by, his preachings of synergy clash with several of his new employees. His age is a slight irritant, his middle-aged colleagues surprised they have to respond to a wonder boy with much less experience than them. One such irritated worker is Dan Foreman (Dennis Quaid), "Sports America's" head of sales. Supporting a wife (Marg Helgenberger), two daughters (Scarlett Johansson, Zena Gray), and a baby on the way, it's a blow to his self-esteem and fiscal stability when he is demoted to the role of Dan's "wingman" after years of believing he had secured his place in corporate life. It doesn't help that Alex (Johansson), his eldest, plans to go to NYU, thinking her father is still able to financially back her with ease. So one could say such transitions, both personally and professionally, are hard on both of these men, who are juxtaposed in their dilemmas but match in their privileged anxiety. Regardless, a friendship manages to blossom between the two, Dan becoming a mentor of sorts for the overwhelmed Carter. But their kinship could end dramatically when Carter begins secretly dating Alex. As a romance, a comedy, or a romantic comedy (the film doesn't stand by any specific genre norms, as most bright dramedies manage), "In Good Company" is almost disarmingly conventional; it presents nothing new and is without much of an edge. But likability, an aspect prevalent in movies of its type, is unavoidable. Written and directed by Paul Weitz ("About a Boy," "Grandma"), a filmmaker who knows a thing or two about geniality, it's a corporate charmer of great affability, juggling subtle poignancy with amiable performances that shine in their humanity (Grace and Quaid are perfectly cast, Johansson a sharp love interest). But while it's snappy, sweet without being sappy, I'm not so sure "In Good Company" is much more than just keen escapism; it's apt, but it's also too comfortably pleasant. Risks aren't something we expect to see within films like this, yet the good-nature of it all begs for some sort of game-changing turn. There's nothing not to like here. But such a characteristic is sort of bland, no?

• Mar 12, 2016

"In Good Company" is an uncommonly cuddly business comedy with lots of sweetness, laughs, and a star-making performance from Topher Grace.

• Nov 28, 2015

Was quite entertaining until she kissed him and I vomited. Need to remember this in case they show it again.

• Jul 29, 2015

Quaid gives one of his better performances in a funny and very entertaining and well acted drama.

• Jun 01, 2015

Dan Foreman is headed for a shakeup. He is demoted from head of ad sales for a major magazine when the company he works for is acquired in a corporate takeover. His new boss, Carter Duryea, is half his age--a business school prodigy who preaches corporate synergy. While Dan develops clients through handshake deals and relationships, Carter cross-promotes the magazine with the cell phone division and "Krispity Krunch", an indeterminate snack food under the same corporate umbrella. Both men are going through turmoil at home. Dan has two daughters, Alex, age 18, and Jana, age 16, and is shocked when his wife tells him she's pregnant with a new child. Carter, in the meanwhile, is dumped by his wife of seven months just as he gets his promotion. Dan and Carter's uneasy friendship is thrown into jeopardy when Carter falls for, and begins an affair with, Dan's daughter Alex.

• Nov 06, 2014

this movie is one of the hidden gems.. funny likable Characters.. very feel good movie