In My Country Reviews

• Jul 06, 2013

Again I must in this case ardently disagree with this site and the critics--this one of the best films I have ever seen because it deals with a subject that is seldom treated by the movies and one that is so necessary for the very survival of our world--forgiveness. Not only does In My Country treat the subject of forgiveness, perhaps the hardest thing for humans to do, but it treats this subject very well, in some of the most unforgettable scenes I have watched. A truly moving, beautiful film with superb performances by Samuel L Jackson, Juliette Binoche, and most of all Brendan Gleeson, whose role here is like nothing I have ever seen play before. How critics could call this movie melodramatic, I simply don't understand. Melodrama is something like Gone With the Wind, a soap opera, but this film is real drama, because it tells of things that actually happened and dealt with it in a way that emphasized the necessity for forgiveness instead of vengeance, something so rare, we must reassure every instance of it.

• Jun 15, 2012

In My Country is a film about post-Apartheid South Africa. In 1995 Nelson Mandela established the Truth & Reconciliation Commission which allowed victims to testify to share their stories and perpetrators were allowed to confess their crimes in exchange for amnesty, on the condition that their accounts were truthful and proved to be politically motivated. In My Country was directed by John Boorman and stars Samuel L Jackson and Juliette Binoche and it recounts just some of the thousands of testimonies given during the commision. Unfotrunately the story gets bogged down with a few unessessary subplots such as a relationship between the two leads and an interview between Jackson's character and a ruthless white supremisict played well be Brendan Gleeson. This portion of the film is broken up and presented in scattered moments throughout the movie. I also felt that the wrong actors had been cast. Binoche seems to have been chosen for her ability to cry on que but her performance is unconvincing. Jackson is also two dimentional playing an American reporter and his performances teeters on kitchy. In My Country is a well intended film, telling important stories... but it fails in it's delivery.

• Cynthia S Super Reviewer
    May 25, 2012

This movie moved at a snails pace. Its a serious and sad subject, but the way it was presented made it seem secondary to the budding, uninteresting romance.

• Apr 03, 2012

Jackson and Binoche put it on the line in John Boorman's In My Country. Boorman tries to invoke tears but isn't able to connect with the audience as much as the plot could have allowed. Dealing with the Truth and Reconciliation Commission of South Africa In My Country has moments of brilliance but is never very strong in any faucet.

• Dec 28, 2011

An interesting film this dives the viewer into the uneasiness of how to handle a post-apartheid South Africa.

• Dec 24, 2011

Moving drama about the truth and reconciliations in the aftermath of the Apartheid wars in South Africa. Great lead performanmce by Binoche and Jackson

• Oct 30, 2011

Predictable, schmaltzy and clunky. Probably Boorman's weakest effort.

Predictable, schmaltzy and clunky. Probably Boorman's weakest effort.

• Jun 06, 2011

Slow.but hauntingly TMI

Slow.but hauntingly TMI

• Jan 15, 2011

The film itself? Juliette Binoche's South African accent? Eh. The story and the recent history of South Africa? very interesting.

• Apr 26, 2010

I hate this kind of movie. It's a bunch of people talking about something happened without anything happening while we're watching. The TaRC was a great idea and seems to have worked pretty well, but that's not enough to make a good movie. Fortunately, Boorman recognized this. Unfortunately, he failed to recognize that two politically-opposed people falling in love is trite.